Page 22 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #211
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,769

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    When you cry "that's discrimination" just understand that it doesn't have the meaning you intend, and so your point won't be received.

    Yeah, it's discrimination....that doesn't matter...at all.
    Because I was talking about government discrimination and you couldn't find an example. I'll take that as an admission of defeat.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #212
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Besides the fact it is neither intelligent nor a product of reason, you mean?
    Obviously, you are wrong on both counts.

    I can't help but wonder why.

    Maybe it's implied in your signature and you erroneously associate marriage with religion.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  3. #213
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You're still not producing anything. Hooters is a private company, not the government. There is still no law against using an opposite sex bathroom, if nobody is around and nobody complains, you're totally in the clear. You're arguing *OTHER* things, not using the bathroom. You still haven't found a place where discrimination, by the government, is acceptable.

    Try again.
    Different physical standards, based on gender, for the same rank/MOS/pay in the military. Different federal tax bills for the same income. Different student admission standards to a gov't run college. Hiring preferences based on veteran/disabled status in the gov't. Use of age and smoking to set gov't mandated (PPACA) medical care insurance rates, yet not allowing gender or obesity to be considered. Minority owned small business contract preferences.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #214
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Obviously, you are wrong on both counts.

    I can't help but wonder why.

    Maybe it's implied in your signature and you erroneously associate marriage with religion.
    I just think it is amusing when people lack the self-awareness necessary to realize the degree to which they indulge in projection due to their repressed feelings about their own sexual proclivities.

    Hypothetically, of course.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #215
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I just think it is amusing when people lack the self-awareness necessary to realize the degree to which they indulge in projection due to their repressed feelings about their own sexual proclivities.

    Hypothetically, of course.
    Then, considering your signature, your obvious issues with religion, and your apparently erroneous association of religion with marriage, there's a lot about such projection you've learned by yourself ..

    .. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

    Clearly, though, you choose not to have a fact-based discussion on the matter, as your mindset is already made up, and your again not-so-veiled ad hominem tendency is really the best that you have.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  6. #216
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    That question is not only worth exploring, it demands exploring in this case. Not to do so would be a dereliction of duty. The Supreme Court is not held to the confines of what people like you consider to be politically correct... nor should it be.
    They call this believing one's own bull****.

  7. #217
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't give a crap if it's a right, it's discriminatory to give it to one group of people and not to another. That's the whole argument. If you can't get away allowing white people to marry, but not black people, you can't allow letting straight people marry but not gay people. The only basis the Prop 8 people have for claiming gays shouldn't marry is religion and religion cannot be used as an argument in a government court.
    Which bring's home the point: why is the state in the marriage business in the first place?

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's called 'same-sex' marriage, not 'gay'-marriage for a reason. I'm hetero, I cannot marry a man. I am under all the same restrictions as everyone else.
    So your freedom is being curtailed and you are not being allowed to do things other people can.

    Discrimination, in other words.

    I.lose respect.for conservatives who want peoples freedom to live their lives as they see fit curtailed. It destroys all credibility in regards to individual liberty.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So your freedom is being curtailed and you are not being allowed to do things other people can.

    Discrimination, in other words.

    I.lose respect.for conservatives who want peoples freedom to live their lives as they see fit curtailed. It destroys all credibility in regards to individual liberty.
    Where have I taken an anti-ssm position on this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's how I see this. If you have a violent history, you shouldn't be able to walk into wall-mart and buy a gun. If you yell 'fire' in a theater, you are harming people, and should do some time. So, unless your marriage creates a net harm to society, you should be allowed to do it. All else being equal I don't see how same-sex marriage is any more harmful than other marriages we already allow. To the same logic I don't see why pot should be illegal while alcohol and tobacco are legal. If the purpose is to reduce consumption of harmful drugs, then alcohol and tobacco are the first to go.

    That being said, the 50% divorce rate is what is causing a net harm to society, and so that should be the focus of the 'family values' types, not the sexes of the people marrying.
    Saying that I'm under the same restrictions as everyone else is not a statement against ssm. It's just a fact.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-27-13 at 02:45 PM.

  10. #220
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    "there’s considerable disagreement among sociologists as to what the consequences of raising a child in a single-sex family, whether that is harmful to the child or not"


    No...Scalia....you are wrong. The overwhelming number of sociologists and psychologists have concluded that children living in same-sex parental homes are no different than children living in two parent heterosexual homes. There are perhaps a handful of conservative sociologists that disagree....but there is not "Considerable disagreement"....THAT is an outright lie.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •