Page 100 of 123 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #991
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    So pretty much anything goes

    Got it
    Your words,not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post


    If states want to put it up for a vote for the people to decide, I don't have a problem with that. If gays get the special right to try and change what the definition of marriage is though, then you have to allow all the other different interest groups that want to change the definition have their chance too.
    Don't they already have that ability?
    There are plenty of straight people out there who want the definition to change.
    I believe the word is called "a majority".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Interracial marriage has nothing to do with same sex marriage. It was discrimination based upon race.
    Discrimination based on sexuality is still discrimination.
    Not a special sexual interest group trying to change the definition from man + woman to man + ? or woman + ?.
    [/quote]

    Oh I get it.I see what you are trying to do.
    You're trying to lump gays with pedophiles and people who want to marry their cow.
    By using the term "sexual interest group" you are trying to portray gay people as something sinister.

    You do realize my daughter is gay,right?
    There is nothing "sinister" about her.
    And she's way to busy with her studies at med school to even be a part of any "sexual interest group".

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Comparing gay marriage to the real struggle of Blacks is racist and insensitive.
    You do realize I'm black,right?
    And that my parents were active members of the civil rights movement.
    So why don't you tell me ALL about the struggle WE blacks went through.
    Especially my parent.Because I had a ringside seat.
    My parents went through hell so that I can have the rights that I enjoy as an American citizen.
    Things that I witnessed with my own two eyes growing up.
    My wife and I can do no less for our daughter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Having black skin is not the same thing as being attracted to the same sex.
    Never said it was.Are you saying being attracted to the same sex is a bad thing?

    If I recall correctly, for a very long time,in many states,a black man being attracted to a white woman was a reason for a lynching.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    See above. It's racist if you compare Gays demanding special rights to the real struggle that blacks have gone through in this country.
    It's insensitive and demeans the real struggle blacks had to go through to achieve racial equality.
    I know first hand about the struggle we blacks had to go through, because I witnessed it growing up with my parents.

    Have you ever seen your father beaten by cops during a peaceful civil rights demonstration?
    I have.
    Ever had the words "niggers get out" painted on your front door?
    I had when I was growing up.
    Ever got beaten up by a bunch of jocks in highschool just because you asked a girl of their race out?
    I have.

    You do realize that I am married to a white woman also?
    So don't even try to drop the innuendo that I'm racist.


    For some reason,I don't think you are a "very liberal" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post



    Marriage not a civil right.
    Again,that's you opinion.
    Civil right's isn't a "black thing" in civil rights.
    And maybe it's time we include "marriage"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Marriage isn't in the Bill of Rights. Marriage is not in the Constitution.
    It's not prohibited by the Constitution,either.And the Constitution can be changed you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    The Founding Fathers never would have approved of same sex marriage. It was an alien concept to them.
    But quite a number of them had no problem owning slaves,now did they?

    We live in the 21st century.They didn't.
    Things have changed a bit since their time.
    Go build a time machine,grab a few of them,and lets here what THEY have to say about the subject.

    The Founding Fathers were human beings,not Gods we have to worship.
    They weren't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Marriage is not a Civil Right. It's a Social Contract and an institution with specific social and economic purposes. Not everyone has the right to marry whatever they want
    I couldn't help notice you used the term "whatever" rather than ""whomever" they want.
    Dehumanizing the other (in this case,you are dehumanizing gays) is the mark of a would be dictator.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Claiming it's a Civil Right is an emotional argument. Not a logical one.
    Are you even married?
    There's way more emotions involved in marriage than there is logic.

  2. #992
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    The argument you're having with yourself is fun to watch.
    The argument I'm having with you is fun to participate in since you cannot refute it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #993
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Oh no no no. You are mistaken yet again.
    Another poster mentioned a study yesterday and I know of a different one that shows something other than the anecdotal evidence you're calling "studies".
    1) The Schumm study that was mentioned is completely methodologically unsound and has been debunked. In fact, we had a discussion here at DP when it first came out. It was completely taken apart. It has no validity.
    2) I have not seen any study that reports what you claim that has any methodological validity. Post it. Oh... and if you post anything by Cameron, be prepared to be laughed at.
    3) The studies of which I refer are not "anecdotal". I understand that the evidence is stacked against you, making your position invalid, but that doesn't alter facts.

    For consistency, your correct answer to the question should have been "What difference does it make. Homosexuality is no different than heterosexuality."
    That wasn't your answer so to be intellectually consistent you have to explain why you see a distinction.
    I never said I saw a distinction. In fact, everything I've posted indicates that I don't. The fact that you are having difficulty seeing this is your problem, not mine.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #994
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    What-if questions are not pointless.
    They can point out inconsistencies that may make a person wonder if they've chosen a position for the wrong reason.
    And ... in this instance, it was posed as a what-if question to see if it would matter to you or anyone else when you found out it is true, at least statistically.
    There may be reasons you wouldn't want to change a certain position even when you are shown that truth, but we need to get past this hurdle first.
    What-if questions ARE pointless if it is shown that they are inconsistent with the real world example of which you are trying to compare. Yours was shown to be inconsistent and therefore invalid. Therefore, your what-if IS pointless.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #995
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Obviously you're not a golfer
    Obviously you are clueless on this issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #996
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Since Bubba appears to be afraid to link his source, I believe this is it here:

    Gay Parents Raising Children: The Mark Regnerus Study

    I'll take a look at it later on today, however, I find the source incredibily dubious to say the least off the bat.
    I already debunked and destroyed this "study" in another thread.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #997
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    You guys are funny.
    And as predictable as expected.
    But at least somebody actually tried to find the answer for themselves ... and then went to Think Progress to find out what they should think about it.
    Too funny.
    If you go and find a study that shows that the earth is flat... and it is debunked as false, your study is WRONG, and your comment "would you accept it" is idiotic. When a study is presented, it needs to be analyzed. I have posted SCORES of studies on this issue at DP. I have read them all. The ones that are methodologically unsound are dismissed. Your study is invalid and dismissed. Your comment "would you accept it" is therefore also dismissed.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #998
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Need more ?

    http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/categor...%20Fiction.pdf

    "Within less than a month after Schumm (2010) was published, Gartrell, Bos, and Goldberg (2011) published a report online in which children, especially daughters, of lesbian mothers reported high levels of nonheterosexual sexual orientation and same-sex sexual contact..."

    ...But you'll need to check with ThinkProgress before forming an opinion.
    The Schumm study. Thoroughly discredited and debunked.

    In other words, you have NO study that has valid methodology that supports your position. Good to know.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #999
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Redress made conflicting points.
    Presenting census data to shore bad study sampling isn't a good point.

    What we're left with is an effort to be comforted with the unfortunate discovery that the pro-SSM troops have been laboring under the influence of badly flawed "studies" or, worse, being deliberately misled.

    I presented 2 studies that suggest SSM is not likely to be benign or even neutral in it's effect on kids.
    No. You presented two methodologically unsound and invalid studies that say something about the effects SSM has in kids. And because those studies are methodologically unsound (and therefore invalid) any results they found are meaningless. Now, you can keep posting your faith in those studies, but it makes you look ridiculous... supporting studies with invalid findings.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1000
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You seem to not understand what I have said.
    I would have to agree with that.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •