Page 10 of 123 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #91
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    So if only 40 out of 100 kids are harmed it's acceptable? Wow. With the bar set that low we could probably set up foster homes in the federal penn.
    Ask those 40 children of opposite sex parents. *shrug*

    I don't understand this argument. It's not about whether children will be screwed up by parenting, because parenting varies drastically all across the country. Heterosexual parents molest children, beat and otherwise abuse children, starve them, prohibit their education, etc. This happens everywhere. Will there be homosexual parents who treat children poorly? Most likely. But just as there are heterosexual parents everywhere who treat children with respect, love and care for them, feed them and be willing to do anything to better their life, there will be homosexual parents who will do the same.

  2. #92
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I'm sorry say that again? No, gays just haven't come out of the closet to the public less than 20 years ago. Gay parents have been reaising children for some time now. Hell, I have a grandmother who is gay and been with her partner for almost 60 years now. They raised 7 kids, all straight by the way successfully.




    So then you wouldn't object to studies on whether conservatism is harmful for children either right?
    Study what you like. You're touting anecdotal evidence that is outside the mainstream. I don't care about that at all - it indicates nothing except a single incident. Your appreciation of the span of history is somewhat lacking.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Study what you like. You're touting anecdotal evidence that is outside the mainstream. I don't care about that at all - it indicates nothing except a single incident. Your appreciation of the span of history is somewhat lacking.
    It's not just my views, it's others I have seen and read as well. The evidence is there and it doesn't point to parenting being bad just because of gay parents. There are bad parents, whether gay or straight. But hey, continue feigning ignornace on the subject, I don't care. It's clear that the right isn't interested in the "children" they are interested in keeping marriage between a man and a woman. Nothing more.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    I've noticed that the summaries of whatever research on same sex raised children is full of weasel words.
    You really have to be careful not to accept "findings" without questioning if the researchers had set out with a pre-determined goal.
    And likewise, given the overwhelmingly larger number of traditional families relative to same sex families, the sample study group needs to be either much larger or the study needs to be much longer.
    I suspect that was the point of the Justices.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Study what you like. You're touting anecdotal evidence that is outside the mainstream. I don't care about that at all - it indicates nothing except a single incident. Your appreciation of the span of history is somewhat lacking.
    I was thinking the same thing.

  6. #96
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    What's a "relatively short time" when talking about the success or failure of parents? The ASA and APA have been looking at (researching/studying) same sex parenting for more than 50 years. There's lots of stuff in academia that contradicts what most folks 'know' but those same folks don't read about such things until they become political footballs.
    Well, let's see. We have about 6,000 years of history on the one hand, and what you claim is 50 years on the other. I'll go with the 6,000 for starters, and defer to the well-being of the children before I make a decision on the parenting of same sex parents. There is a lot of stuff in academia - some of it's great, and some of it is useless.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I've noticed that the summaries of whatever research on same sex raised children is full of weasel words.
    You really have to be careful not to accept "findings" without questioning if the researchers had set out with a pre-determined goal.
    And likewise, given the overwhelmingly larger number of traditional families relative to same sex families, the sample study group needs to be either much larger or the study needs to be much longer.
    I suspect that was the point of the Justices.
    First of all it is NOT illegal for a lesbian to get artificially inseminated and rasie a child with her partner. So why is the right even mentioning children, since marriage is NOT a requirement for raising children?

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Well, let's see. We have about 6,000 years of history on the one hand, and what you claim is 50 years on the other. I'll go with the 6,000 for starters, and defer to the well-being of the children before I make a decision on the parenting of same sex parents. There is a lot of stuff in academia - some of it's great, and some of it is useless.
    Is it illegal for Same-sex parents to raise a child? No. So what does SSM being legalized have anything to do with rasiing children?

  9. #99
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Scalia alluded to his own judicial philosophy in your link, whose actual headline was not the one you dreeamed up btw. So as long as you're changing headlines why didn't you change it to " My Constitution is a very flexible one," ... because Scalia actually SAID that.

    Hmmmmm?

    Hey bubba - you screwed up the quote when you put your words into my quote box. I corrected it for you



    Yep, just another example of Scalia's 'flexibility' or as some might say - His ability to change his "judicial philosophy" depending upon the audience

    from 2010
    Scalia Defends Originalism as Best Methodology for Judging Law
    “My burden is not to show that originalism is perfect, but that it beats the other alternatives, and that, believe me, is not difficult,” Scalia said.
    2011
    Justice Scalia's 'Originalist' Hypocrisy
    “In 1868, when the 39th Congress was debating and ultimately proposing the 14th Amendment, I don't think anybody would have thought that equal protection applied to sex discrimination, or certainly not to sexual orientation,” Scalia said in a recent interview with the legal magazine California Lawyer.

    “So does that mean that we've gone off in error by applying the 14th Amendment to both? Yes, yes. Sorry, to tell you that.”
    <snip>
    In other words, Scalia and other right-wing justices operate with a situational ethic when it comes to “originalism” and “strict construction.” If their partisan and ideological interests require the abandoning of those precepts, the principles are dumped overboard.
    2012
    Scalia’s Political Originalism - Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
    While we’re talking about the 14th Amendment, you’d think that a “textualist,” when asserting-without-serious-argument that the 14th Amendment could not possibly apply to gender classifications, would at least note that the 15th Amendment specifically mentions racial classifications and the equal protection clause of the 14th doesn’t, which creates a strong presumption that the 14th Amendment should not be held to apply exclusively to racial classifications. But since textualism would conflict with his strongly held political preferences, he’s never even addressed this.
    A review of Scalia's book, Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts A book in which Scalia has attempted to justify his simultaneous defence of originalism and flexibility in making his decisions.

    Present day academic discussion about Scalia and his originalism
    Scalia
    http://carneades.pomona.edu/2013-Law/0304-hdo.pdf
    Scalia’s Originalism
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #100
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Yeah. We're talking about an entire nation here. Norway was the first country to recognize SSM, and that happened in 2003. So on a national scale, we're really talking about 10 years.

Page 10 of 123 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •