Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85

Thread: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

  1. #21
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    he hasn't yet, neither did Scalia unless you believe everything you read in the Huffington Post
    I believe the facts which is what The Huffington Post put out there showing Scalia's bias in this area. Your opinion of the source does not negate the facts presented by the source. If Scalia won't recluse himself, then Roberts CERTAINLY has no reason to do so.

    recusing legal definition of recusing. recusing synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

    Generally, a judge must recuse himself if he has a personal bias or prejudice concerning a party to the lawsuit or has personal knowledge of the facts that are disputed in the proceeding. The Code of Judicial Conduct, a judicial ethics code drafted by the American Bar Association in 1972 and adopted by most states and the federal government, outlines situations in which a judge should disqualify himself from presiding over a matter. Canon 3C of the Judicial Code outlines these situations, including the judge's personal bias or prejudice toward a matter or its participants, personal knowledge of the facts that are disputed in a case, a professional or familial relationship with a party or an attorney, or a financial interest in the outcome of the matter. Most interpretations of the code mandate a judge's disqualification or recusal if any of these factors are present.
    Scalia has exhibited extreme bias and prejudice in this.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  2. #22
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    There is a right to marry. You can marry anyone from any race or religion.
    And soon, any gender.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    And soon, any gender.
    Hopefully not. Marriage is not the union between two men or women according to the legal definition in most states and the traditional definition that has been held for hundreds of years in the country.

    You can label a turd as a golden brick, but that doesn't make it so. States issue the licenses and people have every right to vote on the legal definition of marriage. Taking that right away would be a horrible violation of rights and the democratic process.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    I believe the facts which is what The Huffington Post put out there showing Scalia's bias in this area. Your opinion of the source does not negate the facts presented by the source. If Scalia won't recluse himself, then Roberts CERTAINLY has no reason to do so.

    recusing legal definition of recusing. recusing synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.



    Scalia has exhibited extreme bias and prejudice in this.
    logic does not equal bias, but continue with your programming

  5. #25
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Hopefully not. Marriage is not the union between two men or women according to the legal definition in most states and the traditional definition that has been held for hundreds of years in the country.

    You can label a turd as a golden brick, but that doesn't make it so. States issue the licenses and people have every right to vote on the legal definition of marriage. Taking that right away would be a horrible violation of rights and the democratic process.
    States only have that right unless it infringes on the liberty of a section of the population. Women's right to vote, Blacks right to vote are all issues which had to be made federal, as it involved a whole group's right to participate in state institutions. Marriage is one such institution, which issues the license to marry, and therefore will be decided on a national, not state, level.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  6. #26
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    logic does not equal bias, but continue with your programming


    This makes no sense at all. But then, you have conceded my examples of Scalia being recused from a Same Sex Marriage decision was correct, so all is forgiven.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    States only have that right unless it infringes on the liberty of a section of the population. Women's right to vote, Blacks right to vote are all issues which had to be made federal, as it involved a whole group's right to participate in state institutions. Marriage is one such institution, which issues the license to marry, and therefore will be decided on a national, not state, level.
    Let me know when the feds start issuing the marriage certificates. It is a state level issue and it's up to the states if they want to change the definition of marriage to include same sex couples. I certainly hope that the courts make the rational decision and allow the states to govern within their jurisdiction. I also hope that they don't violate the rights of California voters who can vote on state constitutional amendments that may uphold the traditional definition of marriage as law.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #28
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Let me know when the feds start issuing the marriage certificates. It is a state level issue and it's up to the states if they want to change the definition of marriage to include same sex couples. I certainly hope that the courts make the rational decision and allow the states to govern within their jurisdiction. I also hope that they don't violate the rights of California voters who can vote on state constitutional amendments that may uphold the traditional definition of marriage as law.
    No, not in a country. A state can't willy nilly deny a citizen of this country a right they have in another state. That's why we are in the Supreme Court now. To test the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Whichever way it goes, it's there because states cannot allow a person to do have civil rights in one state, and deny them in another. This is COUNTRY. And civil liberties are for us all.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    “He is a good man. I believe he sees where the tide is going. I do trust him. I absolutely trust that he will go in a good direction.”
    I'm a bit lost on why it matters which way the tide is going? I'm sorry but the constitutional basis of arguments is not affected by popular opinion. I realize he completely lacks honor, but I hope he is smart enough to realize this.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Chief Justice John Robertsí lesbian cousin to attend Proposition 8 arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    No, not in a country. A state can't willy nilly deny a citizen of this country a right they have in another state. That's why we are in the Supreme Court now. To test the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Whichever way it goes, it's there because states cannot allow a person to do have civil rights in one state, and deny them in another. This is COUNTRY. And civil liberties are for us all.
    Among them is the right to vote and the state's right to define marriage. Louisiana's state constitution says it bans SSM and the state at the constitutional level will not recognize "marriages" performed in other states that are illegal in Louisiana. Why should one state essentially set the policy for another? A state may legalize marijuana and give someone a card that says it's their "right" to buy and smoke it. Does another state need to honor that?

    On the flip side, since Louisiana (and others) completely forbid SSM. Why should Massachusetts approve of SSM when it's completely illegal for the other state to recognize it? The willy nilly denying citizens of this country a right would be denying the citizens of a state the right to vote and ratify their state constitutions to legally define marriage and uphold the traditional definition.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •