Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: West Virginia paperís anti-LGBT column wants death for Ďn*ggers, spics, kikes and wop

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Sad that a teacher lost her job because of bigotry, sad to see that this **** still happens in America.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #12
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    If s/he's a resident of the area under the school board's jurisdiction, we might well take these comments as accurately portraying the general feelings of his/her fellow-citizens.
    Or that of an angry gay man caricaturizing what he thinks the general feelings of the community are. Who knows?

  3. #13
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    You might if you have an axe to grind or an agenda to promote.

    It should really be no surprise to anyone that idiots can be found everywhere but it takes a special kind of hate filled mentality to apply the ranting of one person to an entire population.
    Potentially, yes. However, the Paper's job itself should have been to remove such comments, as they can and will be numerous. Many other papers, including those in my area, constantly filter out individual comments as well as letters to the editor that will not be so bold in inciting hate speech across a group. A majority may have problems with that man's opinion, but many will not. Give the masses no excuse to consider this justifiable conversation.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #14
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Potentially, yes. However, the Paper's job itself should have been to remove such comments, as they can and will be numerous. Many other papers, including those in my area, constantly filter out individual comments as well as letters to the editor that will not be so bold in inciting hate speech across a group. A majority may have problems with that man's opinion, but many will not. Give the masses no excuse to consider this justifiable conversation.
    So...censorship?

    Sometimes you can put a really stupid statement between a couple of intelligent ones and the effect is to make the stupid one look more stupid and the intelligent ones look more intelligent.

  5. #15
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    So...censorship?

    Sometimes you can put a really stupid statement between a couple of intelligent ones and the effect is to make the stupid one look more stupid and the intelligent ones look more intelligent.
    You're not afraid of a little selectivity, are you?

    Newspapers do it all the time. They even withhold regular columns deemed improper for the readership.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    You're not afraid of a little selectivity, are you?

    Newspapers do it all the time. They even withhold regular columns deemed improper for the readership.
    If I were the editor I wouldn't make such decisions a habit but I certainly wouldn't shy away from them from time to time. As far as I'm concerned it's a free speech thing and if I'm going to be in the journalism business then I may as well play the whole field.

  7. #17
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    If I were the editor I wouldn't make such decisions a habit but I certainly wouldn't shy away from them from time to time. As far as I'm concerned it's a free speech thing and if I'm going to be in the journalism business then I may as well play the whole field.
    It would behoove you to not turn off a large portion of your readership through one person's incredibly offensive rhetoric that has been labeled hate speech by most of society. One person's "free speech" costs you a public image, your readership, and thus your wallet. All because you wanted to entertain the thoughts of a hate-filled man who sent in a voice mail of no merit.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It would behoove you to not turn off a large portion of your readership through one person's incredibly offensive rhetoric that has been labeled hate speech by most of society. One person's "free speech" costs you a public image, your readership, and thus your wallet. All because you wanted to entertain the thoughts of a hate-filled man who sent in a voice mail of no merit.
    It appears that you have neglected to read anything I wrote or, if you did, your comprehension simply sucks.

    I never cease to be amazed at how so many people seem to peruse a sentence or a paragraph and see only the words or phrases that they want to see while blotting out everything else.

    To your point, yeah, some people will be just like you and be pissed off because that's what works for them...they LIKE to be pissed off. Others would look at the idiot letter and think to themselves "What an idiot. Good thing that there are more sane people than idiots out there as evidenced by the 4:1 ratio of sane letters to idiot letters."

  9. #19
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    I comprehended you quite fine. Journalism isn't entirely about being presented with everyone's point of view. It is also about controlling the message and the delivery of that message. The truth is, your approach isn't common at all in the industry, and for good reason.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #20
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    07-30-14 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    206

    Re: West Virginia paper publishes an incredibly bigoted screed from reader

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It would behoove you to not turn off a large portion of your readership through one person's incredibly offensive rhetoric that has been labeled hate speech by most of society. One person's "free speech" costs you a public image, your readership, and thus your wallet. All because you wanted to entertain the thoughts of a hate-filled man who sent in a voice mail of no merit.
    I wouldn't be shocked if the intention of publishing those comments were actually to drive up publicity and boost sells. It is likely that more will now purchase it to see what nonsense is put in there rather than stop getting it due to those comments.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •