Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes - The Hill's Transportation Report

    Seems like common sense to me. All it took to hijack planes on 9/11 was box cutters... [/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    I fail to see why it is the legislature's job to decide what is allowed on airplanes. I look at it as simple grandstanding.

    Bring on the hearings. Another way to waste time and taxpayer dollars.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    No one's going to be able to hijack a plane with mere small blades again. The only reason the 9/11 hijackers succeeded (on 3 of 4 planes) was because no hijacking had ever ended that way before. Everyone in the cabin -- or at least enough of them -- will be on top of anyone who tries in seconds.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #13
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    The last time I flew, I decalred my buck knife, put it in my checked baggage and retrieved it when after I landed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No one's going to be able to hijack a plane with mere small blades again. The only reason the 9/11 hijackers succeeded (on 3 of 4 planes) was because no hijacking had ever ended that way before. Everyone in the cabin -- or at least enough of them -- will be on top of anyone who tries in seconds.
    The main reason--IMO--that the 9/11 hijackers succeeded, was because they were sporting fake bomb vests, that the passengers believed to be real...and, no hijacking had ever ended that way before.

    If someone jumped up with a box-cutter, now, they would suffer a good old fashion ass whippin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So you think the correct solution is to not allow law abiding citizens to carry these items? I wonder what other line of thinking this is currently being applied to?
    Personally, I think it's all ridiculous. We've already shown how flawed the system is, and the solution (apparently) is to make it even more illogical and convoluted, according to the TSA and law makers.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Personally, I think it's all ridiculous. We've already shown how flawed the system is, and the solution (apparently) is to make it even more illogical and convoluted, according to the TSA and law makers.
    Yeah I read your response that I quoted you previously wrong so my apologies. I just think the whole system is stupid.

  7. #17
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I fail to see why it is the legislature's job to decide what is allowed on airplanes. I look at it as simple grandstanding.
    Because the TSA is a federal agency.


  8. #18
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Your point?
    Then i dont think we should allow blades that are "x" length on an airplane.


  9. #19
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yeah I read your response that I quoted you previously wrong so my apologies. I just think the whole system is stupid.
    The system should infuriate any free citizen.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Senators file legislation to block small knives on airplanes

    If people on the plane had knives, perhaps the hijacking would have failed. Beside, what hijacker is gonna try with a box cutter - again. We cannot live in the past, we must recognize the present. The presence of air marshals and the heightened-awareness of passangers has superseded worrying about box cutters. At this point, no hijacker would use such an easily foilable device; no one is buying the "we'll land and make demands" routine and will fail to risk life and limb against a mere shard of metal. Even then and especially now, allowing pocket knives works in the public's favor.

    Hijackers with little knives just don't cut mustard anymore. There's no need to fear such. Let's arm ourselves a little as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •