Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    The U.S. government has taken a hard line on hackers lately, charging them with federal crimes that carry lengthy prison sentences.But a new report argues that a hacker who helps a hostile country commit computer sabotage could face a much a harsher penalty: death.
    The report, prepared for NATO by a group of independent military law experts, says that countries have legal justification to use military force against hackers who help another country launch a cyberattack. The report is the first formal attempt to define a set of rules that countries should follow in the event of a cyberwar.
    International law prohibits attacks against civilians during wartime. But the 282-page report says that hackers who help foreign adversaries could lose that legal protection and be legally targeted by another country's military. As an example, one nation could target an individual hacker with force if the hacker found a security flaw or wrote malicious software that helped another country sabotage computer networks, the report said.
    The attack would merit such a response if the results posed a national security threat. For example, the report outlined a scenario in which a foreign adversary hacked a chemical plant to cause an explosion that led to widespread injuries or deaths.


    Read more @: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    So i get the cyberwarfare can **** up a lot of things, but death i believe is a bit much... With drone warfare now these days and hackers i believe this can be used as a very bad combo. There are a lot of issues also in this report, and what makes a hacker "fair game" for killing them?


  2. #2
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    So i get the cyberwarfare can **** up a lot of things, but death i believe is a bit much... With drone warfare now these days and hackers i believe this can be used as a very bad combo. There are a lot of issues also in this report, and what makes a hacker "fair game" for killing them?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Don't worry, no one is gonna get droned for hacking an xbox.

    If someone is about to cause a chemical explosion in an industrial plant... we need to stop them, no doubt.

  3. #3
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Don't worry, no one is gonna get droned for hacking an xbox.

    If someone is about to cause a chemical explosion in an industrial plant... we need to stop them, no doubt.
    I agree but what is considered a "dangerous hacker"? Is someone who gets into classified documents such as documents Wikileaks publishes considered dangerous? What do they deserve? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this document that need to be answered.


  4. #4
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    So i get the cyberwarfare can **** up a lot of things, but death i believe is a bit much... With drone warfare now these days and hackers i believe this can be used as a very bad combo. There are a lot of issues also in this report, and what makes a hacker "fair game" for killing them?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    The problem I have with this is the difference between criminal hackers and terrorist hackers and where the line will be drawn between them.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #5
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I agree but what is considered a "dangerous hacker"? Is someone who gets into classified documents such as documents Wikileaks publishes considered dangerous? What do they deserve? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this document that need to be answered.
    Having only read the quote you provided, I think those questions are clearly answered. I dunno, try reading it again?

  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    The problem I have with this is the difference between criminal hackers and terrorist hackers and where the line will be drawn between them.
    The article cleary states: "a threat to national security", presumably such must be in-the-act.

  7. #7
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I agree but what is considered a "dangerous hacker"?
    A nerd that uses his skills to do harm to others.

    Is someone who gets into classified documents such as documents Wikileaks publishes considered dangerous?
    That would be espionage.

    What do they deserve?
    A very long prison term depending on the severity of the leak. If it gets our own people killed, they should also put execution on the table.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Having only read the quote you provided, I think those questions are clearly answered. I dunno, try reading it again?
    I don thtink they are because they bring up the same scenario and question i asked. ""The law is unclear as to the precise point at which the extent of death, injury, damage, destruction or suffering caused by a cyber operation" qualifies as an armed attack that justifies retaliation"


  9. #9
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The article cleary states: "a threat to national security", presumably such must be in-the-act.
    Yeah, but that's awfully broad. I'd rather have a more stringent and detailed set of criteria to label someone a terrorist hacker. Theoretically, anything could be considered a threat to national security.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #10
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Report For NATO Justifies Killing Of Hackers In A Cyberwar

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Theoretically, anything could be considered a threat to national security.
    Not really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •