Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 99

Thread: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

  1. #71
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

    It's stupid, it's intrusive, and it's all a grand theater to make us feel safer without actually making us safer, but none of that is the fault of the poor idiot at the security line. He didn't make the rules, but he can be fired if he doesn't follow them.
    Mindless bureaucrats are a boil on the butt of humanity.

  2. #72
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As an interesting note, starting last year TSA began a massive reorganization and transformation period. It hit it's 10 year anniversary and proceeded to begin a process of evaluating all it's various offices. The thing to remember with TSA is, unlike MANY of the agencies in the US, it's a relative baby. An organization made up of disparate parts of many other organizations, spun up in weeks/months and only just recently hitting a decade in terms of it's age. There's still a lot of bugs to be worked out and tweaks to be made in terms of making it run as efficient as possible (relative to any government agency running "efficiently).

    One of the things involved in that reorganization was the creation of the Office of Training and Workforce Engagement. An offiec largely aimed at streamlining and standardizing training that occured within TSA. A lot of the training previously had guidance from a headquarters stand point but had a lot of of reliance on the individual airports training staff in terms of how things worked. The new office has been looking at ways to improve training, create a more standardized and unified form of training, find better ways to monitor and test for quality training results, and other such things.

    Part of the process was looking at the best practices put into play by one TSA office which had it's own in house training division, and whose workforce was exceptionally well training. The new Assistant Administrator of OTWE is actually the former Deputy Assistant Administrator of the office in question. Many of the leadership in the new Office of Training also came from that office. So there's definitely a desire, focus, and action within TSA to improve Training across the entire organization.

    The other thing that's being done...again, actually borrowing from a program that was done successfully in a particular office of TSA....is attempting to roll out a program over the entire organization aimed at improving and reshaping the culture within the agency in terms of accountability, focus on the mission, and workforce empowerment. It takes some time for corporate cultures to be changed and for those changes to infiltrate all levels, but over the few years since the program was done in the individual office there has been noticed improvements, and hopefully a similar trajectory is seen when implimented agency wide.
    The Isrealis have been doing this for DECADES. We had a model that we could have used. We didnt. The TSA is just NOW figuring out feeling up granny dont accomplish jack? Gee I feel safer already. Please these bastards need to fired and the dept disbanded. Let the airlines take care of their own security like the rest of the transportation industry.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #73
    Student Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    224

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The reason we have a TSA is to make American citizens feel safe on airplanes. That's of paramount importance to our economy. When it was created, it was very important to ensure just that. I don't mind that they do their jobs, but but BUT!! they need to be better trained. They should be trained to HELP, trained to apologize for the inconvenience, and not forget they are servants of the people.
    Maybe its because I'm employed in the private industry (security field),,, I would never consider my job to be the "servants of the people." Security shouldn't be nice, they shouldn't apologize and they should not make exceptions. If they were all those things they would be crappy security. Heck, we use third party security (from a company standpoint), not just out of liability but so that they can be utterly objective on security threats etc. Security is not convenient. With a military background the marine in this case should be well aware of this.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    The Isrealis have been doing this for DECADES. We had a model that we could have used.
    No offense, but this is simply a statement born out of ignorance. What it fails to understand is:

    1) The issue of scale
    2) The differences in laws and the legal system between the two countries
    3) The mentality of the population

    Israel does not equal the United States. They are incredibly different circumstances. Israel is a model that should be studied for what things can be borrowed, tweaked, or learned. For example, the implimentation over recent years of the Behavior Detection Officer, which is a trained TSO that studies body language and actions within a line to look for individuals that may exhibit behavioral signs that suggest they should go through greater levels of screening. But it is not one that we can directly implement. For example, In terms of scale, Israel's busiest airport has about 13 million passengers per year. Meanwhile, JFK has nearly three times that in a year by itself. And there are 23 other Airports of a similar designation in terms of size as JFK in the United states. Asking for Airport Security to be done in the US in the same model as Israel's is like asking for New York City's police force to be handled the same way as the Sheriff department of the 431 population town of Troutville Virginia.

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    TSA screeners aren't granted much in the way of discretion. There was a period where they were confiscating a style of car keys that was popular among luxury vehicles, those roundish ones that flip out "switchblade style." The rules said they had to confiscate "switchblade style" things, so they did. These BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc keys were literally less dangerous than a typical house key, because they were rounded laser-cut keys and their flip-out mechanism meant they didn't have a sturdy attachment to the base, but the random TSA grunt you met didn't have the option to let it through. They don't tell these guys "well as long as you really really think it's ok to let ___ through, go ahead." They have procedures that are to be followed without error, because error could theoretically mean disaster.

    It's stupid, it's intrusive, and it's all a grand theater to make us feel safer without actually making us safer, but none of that is the fault of the poor idiot at the security line. He didn't make the rules, but he can be fired if he doesn't follow them.
    Warning: Hysterical forthcoming...

    I read this after you first posted it and I have to come back to rant. I mean, WTF?!? They're car keys! How the eff are people supposed to start their car when they return? This is an off-shoot of that "zero tolerance" crap that we need to eliminate from our societal mindset. Zero thinking is more like it. THINK, PEOPLE!!!

    I'm sorry, but this one got to me. I had to get it off my chest.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #76
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,361

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    While they could have been more tactful about it, fact is that you cannot exclude anyone from screening. The second you do that, you ensure that similar exclusions will be used against us. You would be surprised at the amount of stuff people try to smuggle (mostly illicit drugs) using prosthetics/wheelchairs/crutches and canes. There are some seriously evil people out there.

    Every time I hear "outrage" over screening procedures, I wish I could show them pictures of the corpses of downs syndrome kids and adults used as "suicide" bombers (They are not really suicide bombers. They have no clue what is going to happen to them though the heathen with the remote does), the reports of elderly people being martyred in the name of Islam or, in the past, Ireland. Tell you what, look up the name Nezar Hindawi then question why the bad guys chose a pregnant woman to unwittingly try to carry the bomb on-board the aircraft...

    Again, the TSA inspectors could have been more professional, but it is plain idiocy to state the Marine should not have been screened at all.
    Last edited by BretJ; 03-20-13 at 10:54 PM.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  7. #77
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,011

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Step 1: "Sir, Would you please accept my offer for any help in assisting you with whatever I may?"

    *grand applause*

    Wanna know my ****in salution? It may sound kooky to a lot but give ever single employee "eloquence" training. Make them all dress up as ****in clowns and make balloon animals for kids for 1/4 of their paid time.

    Make them bow and **** and kiss old ladies hands.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  8. #78
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,361

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Agreed. Perhaps these TSA agents should be sent to a Marine base for a couple of weeks of sensitivity training...
    Most of the Marines I know would have told the Marine to suck it up... (I know some Marines/Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen that are as bad off or worse than him and would not have any issues being screened) I have an issue with how it was done. Not with the fact it was done.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  9. #79
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,361

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    The Russians, Israelis, US and English intelligence agencies all thought Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. Saddam wanted everyone to think he did. So the joke was on him.

    So whether they "mostly" wanted to go or not is irrelevant. They did not lie, they did however have information that because of Saddam himself was not accurate.

    Now can we get back on topic or can we expect you to continue with the "blame Bush" rant as well?
    We did find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. We just did not find any of the nuclear variety. A few pounds of what we did find could easily kill many times more people than 9/11. That is easily overlooked by many however for the sake of political expediency.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  10. #80
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: TSA agents 'humiliated' wounded Marine with aggressive inspection: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    While they could have been more tactful about it, fact is that you cannot exclude anyone from screening.
    Nobody is actually suggesting that, may I suggest actually reading what is being said?
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •