Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 95

Thread: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Write

  1. #51
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The line libs use is we wanted to take over Iraq oil when the truth was we wanted to protect the flow of oil which we rely on, huge difference.
    It is funny how many posters are confusing 1990-91 with 2003. Cheney's interview concerns the later, not the former. Saddam wasn't a "threat to the flow" in 03.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Of course you condone your country committing immoral acts in your name, as long as YOU get to decide what is moral and immoral.
    More evidence that conservatives don't understand democracy, don't like our Constitution, and don't have any moral core.

    Our elected government is limited by any number of laws, national and international, which bar certain forms of aggression. Even Bush realized that and had to lie about why he attacked Iraq. But the truth is out now. Applying the law, Bush may be a war criminal.

  3. #53
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    More evidence that conservatives don't understand democracy, don't like our Constitution, and don't have any moral core.

    Our elected government is limited by any number of laws, national and international, which bar certain forms of aggression. Even Bush realized that and had to lie about why he attacked Iraq. But the truth is out now. Applying the law, Bush may be a war criminal.


    You hang on to that.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is funny how many posters are confusing 1990-91 with 2003. Cheney's interview concerns the later, not the former. Saddam wasn't a "threat to the flow" in 03.
    Saddam was always a threat to the oil supply in the mid east, if not at that precise moment then in the future when he waited out the UN and got back to business. Cancer in remission is still a threat.

  5. #55
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Saddam was always a threat to the oil supply in the mid east, if not at that precise moment then in the future when he waited out the UN and got back to business. Cancer in remission is still a threat.

    The reason for military action against Iraq was spelled out by Cheney's Energy Task Force before the Saudi's attack on 9/11.


    Official: US oil at the heart of Iraq crisis


    Sunday Herald, The, Oct 6, 2002 by Exclusive By Neil Mackay

    President Bush's Cabinet agreed in April 2001 that "Iraq remains a destabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East" and because this is an unacceptable risk to the US "military intervention" is necessary.

    Vice-president Dick Cheney, who chairs the White House Energy Policy Development Group, commissioned a report on "energy security" from the Baker Institute for Public Policy, a think-tank set up by James Baker, the former US secretary of state under George Bush Snr.

    The report, Strategic Energy Policy Challenges For The 21st Century, concludes: "The United States remains a prisoner of its energy dilemma. Iraq remains a de-stabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East. Saddam Hussein has also demonstrated a willingness to threaten to use the oil weapon and to use his own export programme to manipulate oil markets. Therefore the US should conduct an immediate policy review toward Iraq including military, energy, economic and political/ diplomatic assessments.

    "The United States should then develop an integrated strategy with key allies in Europe and Asia, and with key countries in the Middle East, to restate goals with respect to Iraqi policy and to restore a cohesive coalition of key allies."

    Baker who delivered the recommendations to Cheney, the former chief executive of Texas oil firm Halliburton, was advised by Kenneth Lay, the disgraced former chief executive of Enron, the US energy giant which went bankrupt after carrying out massive accountancy fraud.

    The other advisers to Baker were: Luis Giusti, a Shell non- executive director; John Manzoni, regional president of BP and David O'Reilly, chief executive of ChevronTexaco. Another name linked to the document is Sheikh Saud Al Nasser Al Sabah, the former Kuwaiti oil minister and a fellow of the Baker Institute.

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n12580286/
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Saddam was always a threat to the oil supply in the mid east, if not at that precise moment then in the future when he waited out the UN and got back to business. Cancer in remission is still a threat.
    Hey kids, metaphors instead of facts. I guess Reagan was thinking of you when he armed Saddam. Wait . . .

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The reason for military action against Iraq was spelled out by Cheney's Energy Task Force before the Saudi's attack on 9/11.


    Official: US oil at the heart of Iraq crisis


    Sunday Herald, The, Oct 6, 2002 by Exclusive By Neil Mackay

    President Bush's Cabinet agreed in April 2001 that "Iraq remains a destabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East" and because this is an unacceptable risk to the US "military intervention" is necessary.

    Vice-president Dick Cheney, who chairs the White House Energy Policy Development Group, commissioned a report on "energy security" from the Baker Institute for Public Policy, a think-tank set up by James Baker, the former US secretary of state under George Bush Snr.

    The report, Strategic Energy Policy Challenges For The 21st Century, concludes: "The United States remains a prisoner of its energy dilemma. Iraq remains a de-stabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East. Saddam Hussein has also demonstrated a willingness to threaten to use the oil weapon and to use his own export programme to manipulate oil markets. Therefore the US should conduct an immediate policy review toward Iraq including military, energy, economic and political/ diplomatic assessments.

    "The United States should then develop an integrated strategy with key allies in Europe and Asia, and with key countries in the Middle East, to restate goals with respect to Iraqi policy and to restore a cohesive coalition of key allies."

    Baker who delivered the recommendations to Cheney, the former chief executive of Texas oil firm Halliburton, was advised by Kenneth Lay, the disgraced former chief executive of Enron, the US energy giant which went bankrupt after carrying out massive accountancy fraud.

    The other advisers to Baker were: Luis Giusti, a Shell non- executive director; John Manzoni, regional president of BP and David O'Reilly, chief executive of ChevronTexaco. Another name linked to the document is Sheikh Saud Al Nasser Al Sabah, the former Kuwaiti oil minister and a fellow of the Baker Institute.

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n12580286/
    All that just to agree with me?

  8. #58
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    All that just to agree with me?
    If your point was that military action was planned in 2002 to get big oil back in Iraq, then yes.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If your point was that military action was planned in 2002 to get big oil back in Iraq, then yes.
    Free flow of oil from the mid east, Saddam threatened it.

    " President Bush's Cabinet agreed in April 2001 that "Iraq remains a destabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East" and because this is an unacceptable risk to the US "military intervention" is necessary."

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Dick Cheney, Ahmed Chalabi Contemplated Value Of Iraqi Oil To U.S., David Frum Wr

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Free flow of oil from the mid east, Saddam threatened it.

    " President Bush's Cabinet agreed in April 2001 that "Iraq remains a destabilising influence to the flow of oil to international markets from the Middle East" and because this is an unacceptable risk to the US "military intervention" is necessary."
    One has to wonder why Reagan armed Saddam then. It's as if conservative presidents just do one stupid thing after the next.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •