Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

  1. #51
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You can believe what you want to believe - as I said, the Chretien government's position on Iraq did indeed play a part in the demise of Chretien and then the Liberal government. Was it the sole cause? - No - and I never claimed it was.
    If anything, his decision to not go bolstered his image and reputation, not the other way around.

    our claim that millions from coast-to-coast marched against it is utter nonsense and I defy you to point out any credible source that would support such a claim.
    D'uh, you're right. Brain fart on my part. I meant to write thousands. After all, we're a pretty small population.

    adian public eventually tired of our role in Afghanistan and pushed for withdrawal but except for a few of the usual professional protestors and union operatives (often one and the same) few Canadians got overly worked up about the war in Iraq, even years after the fact when the rationale for entering Iraq became questionable.
    The news today has Canadian quite proud of the fact that we did not participate. I was mostly not a fan of the Chretien government, but have to give them big kudos on this.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #52
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    The Neocon criminals fooled most of the people most of the time, back in those Glory Days!

    But they did not fool all the people, and I'm proud to be one of those not duped by those criminal bastards.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Gee Paul, tell us something we didn't know already.

    The former deputy Pentagon chief, Paul Wolfowitz, a driving force behind the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, has conceded that a series of blunders by George W. Bush’s administration plunged Iraq into a cycle of violence that “spiralled out of control”.

    In an interview with The Sunday Times to mark the 10th anniversary of the Iraq invasion, he said there “should have been Iraqi leadership from the beginning”, rather than a 14-month occupation led by an American viceroy and based on “this idea that we’re going to come in like [General Douglas] MacArthur in Japan and write the constitution for them”.

    He accepted that too many Iraqis were excluded by a programme to purge members of the ruling Ba’ath party, that the dissolution of the Iraqi army was botched and that the “biggest hole” in post-war planning was not to anticipate the possibility of an insurgency.

    “The most consequential failure was to understand the tenacity of Saddam’s regime,” he said.

    Wolfowitz, 69, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington since he stepped down as World Bank president in 2007, has a somewhat diffident manner but he became animated as he reflected on the lead-up to the invasion and its aftermath.



    Read more: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq | RealClearPolitics
    Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitterm
    What's all this "10 year" bull****? The conflict in Iraq started in 1991 under Bush Sr, not 2003 under Bush Jr. Talk about getting your facts wrong, you're 12 years off.

  4. #54
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    If anything, his decision to not go bolstered his image and reputation, not the other way around.



    D'uh, you're right. Brain fart on my part. I meant to write thousands. After all, we're a pretty small population.



    The news today has Canadian quite proud of the fact that we did not participate. I was mostly not a fan of the Chretien government, but have to give them big kudos on this.
    If you'll recall, Chretien fancied himself as the next Secretary General of the United Nations at the time the invasion of Iraq was being discussed at the Security Council - Chretien would have done zero that was contrary to the UN's position in the matter in order not to spoil his chances.

    The Canadian public's position on Iraq has been a changing/evolving one and I agree with you that now most Canadians are pleased we did not actively participate. But at the time it was not so clear and many favored participation.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What's all this "10 year" bull****? The conflict in Iraq started in 1991 under Bush Sr, not 2003 under Bush Jr. Talk about getting your facts wrong, you're 12 years off.
    It started then, but Bush I, unlike Junior, had the good sense to send Hussain packing out of Kuwait and then go home. Junior had to double down with a decade plus nation building project.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It started then, but Bush I, unlike Junior, had the good sense to send Hussain packing out of Kuwait and then go home. Junior had to double down with a decade plus nation building project.
    ...and therefore this is not the 10th anniversary, we're nearing the 22nd anniversary. Talk about media ****-ups.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    ...and therefore this is not the 10th anniversary, we're nearing the 22nd anniversary. Talk about media ****-ups.
    but it is the tenth anniversary of the invasion.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    but it is the tenth anniversary of the invasion.
    Nope, we were already in Iraq. We didn't invade ****, we were already inside the country for 12 years by this point, enforcing the no-fly zone, conducting ground missions, all of it...for 12 ****ing years.

    We were in Iraq for longer than we were in Afghanistan, and we're still in Afghanistan.

  9. #59
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The Canadian public's position on Iraq has been a changing/evolving one and I agree with you that now most Canadians are pleased we did not actively participate. But at the time it was not so clear and many favored participation.

    Change the bolded to "some" and I'll agree with you.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: 10 Years On, Paul Wolfowitz Admits U.S. Bungled in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Nope, we were already in Iraq. We didn't invade ****, we were already inside the country for 12 years by this point, enforcing the no-fly zone, conducting ground missions, all of it...for 12 ****ing years.

    We were in Iraq for longer than we were in Afghanistan, and we're still in Afghanistan.
    OK, if you say so. Sure, we did have some people in Iraq, but sending the troops across the border with the goal of deposing the government sure looked like an invasion to me.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •