Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

  1. #31
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Random audience member says something stupid and gets laughed at. Clearly, all republicans are racist.
    Actually from the video the people (to their credit) had looks of horror on their faces.

    It is pretty rich though that a segregationist and a slave owner apologizer takes the spotlight at a break out session about unfairly being a called a racist!
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #32
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,638

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Random audience member says something stupid and gets laughed at. Clearly, all republicans are racist.
    Comments by audience members are typically the worst part of panel discussions.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,269

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    I do believe CPAC is private so it is not covered under freedom of speech. They probably should have put the guy in a broom closet somewhere.
    Actually, they are...LOL!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #34
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    When someone in the Republican Party makes a racist comment, generally speaking, the party leadership and most members repudiate the comment and marginalize the person. When someone in the Democrat Party makes a racist comment, generally speaking, the party leadership and most members cheer them on and give them their own show on MSNBC or support them as a Presidential candidate and given them careers as race baiters for the party.

  5. #35
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,269

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Your apologetics notwithstanding,"affirmative action" is institutionalized racism & sexism by every sense of the term.

    Are you pro-racism and pro-sexism?
    It's institutionalized dependency. It sends the message that blacks and women don't have to put forth any effort, because the government will tilt the playing field in their favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #36
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    despite my clumsy effort to reframe your question such that it addressed the apparent asian advantage relative to employment, you saw exactly what i was wanting to address: when does a protected class lose its protection. and i would submit that the asian minority no longer deserves to be protected under the affirmative action provisions. and if we should see the current asian economic advantage disintegrate into a disadvantage, it would then be appropriate to return that asian minority category to those of the protected groups until it can be seen that asians are again playing on a level economic playing field

    in short, retaining asians as a protected group undermines the public's belief in the legitimacy of purpose of the affirmative action programs - and that is unfortunate
    I can totally see your point here, I really can. However, affirmitave action, is not a short term thing, that fixes a problem, and then that problem goes away. Racial inequality is a persistent sociotal problem (totally my opinion there). If you take away affirmative action, you reinvigorate a belief that racial segragation if OK. Additionally, I wonder, what do you think about affirmative action for races that have not been as successful as the Asian community? Clearly those number are still quite low, so is that evidence that affirmative action as been ineffective or should be strengthened? Furthmore, if you believe that the Asisan community has directly benefited from affirmative action, then does that define it as a successful program?

    A lot of questions, I know, lol. Hopefully you are following my train of thought
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,269

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    As a black man why are you so worred about how the white man is kept down?
    Because it would be racist not to.

    If we live in a country where any race can be oppressed, then every race can be oppressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #38
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    I can totally see your point here, I really can. However, affirmitave action, is not a short term thing, that fixes a problem, and then that problem goes away. Racial inequality is a persistent sociotal problem (totally my opinion there). If you take away affirmative action, you reinvigorate a belief that racial segragation if OK.
    i don't see it this way. if there remains data to show discrimination continues, then the protected class should remain protected under the AA program. however, if that class, as in asian employment, evidences that it is at parity - or in this instance better than parity - with the majority, with which it is always compared, then it no longer has basis to remain a protected class in need of further opportunity [to achieve equal standing]. in order to achieve the objectives of AA, there are instances where AA programs can provide a super-priority to the protected group. a sense of fairness should not allow us to then retain a group to be protected which is achieving at a rate surpassing the benchmarks established by the majority

    Additionally, I wonder, what do you think about affirmative action for races that have not been as successful as the Asian community? Clearly those number are still quite low, so is that evidence that affirmative action as been ineffective or should be strengthened?
    and you have again hit upon my paramount concern. if a protected class is allowed to remain in the AA program, despite its achieving success better than the majority counterpart, then the very purpose for the AA program is lost. why have an AA program once parity has been accomplished; there is no further need of it. but for the other minority groups that still struggle without achieving parity, they continue to need AA to level the economic playing field to move toward parity. some more slowly than others. by allowing one group to remain, which group is found no longer to require AA assistance to achieve parity, undermines the support for an AA program otherwise having legitimate purpose. that purpose cannot be found for asians being in AA programs dedicated to elevating economic prosperity. the success of the asian minority group should be cause for celebration that AA works. but if the successful asian minority continues to receive AA assistance, despite its observable economic success, that will cause the majority to question the continued legitimacy of the entire AA program. AA needs to remain to assist the hispanics, blacks, Native Americans, aleuts, women, and the disabled, just as it has already helped the asians

    Furthmore, if you believe that the Asisan community has directly benefited from affirmative action, then does that define it as a successful program?
    i do believe AA can be identified as one element of that minority population's economic success. you already mentioned high educational attainment, which is another of an array of factors that got the asian population to its current standing

    A lot of questions, I know, lol. Hopefully you are following my train of thought
    i embrace the AA program but see it poorly managed at the federal level. SC chief justice pointed out
    The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.
    and he is quite right. AA should not have a racial aspect to its criteria for participation in that program; it should be purely based on one's economic condition
    it would be expected that a greater percentage of the black and hispanic populations would be eligible to participate in AA programs than those percentages of the asian and white populations, but the race-neutral aspect of eligibility should allow members of all races to support a program intended to elevate the economic standing of the underclass, no matter the individual's race, gender, etc
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #39
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i don't see it this way. if there remains data to show discrimination continues, then the protected class should remain protected under the AA program. however, if that class, as in asian employment, evidences that it is at parity - or in this instance better than parity - with the majority, with which it is always compared, then it no longer has basis to remain a protected class in need of further opportunity [to achieve equal standing]. in order to achieve the objectives of AA, there are instances where AA programs can provide a super-priority to the protected group. a sense of fairness should not allow us to then retain a group to be protected which is achieving at a rate surpassing the benchmarks established by the majority
    I think I get what your saying, I guess I just don't interpret the results as you do. Just because the stats show an improvement in one aspect, doesn't mean that across the board, racial discrimination has vanished for that minority group. Fairness, I completely understand, but I think it's going to take quite a bit longer for AA to really effect the hiring processes of businesses. I just don't think we have gotten to a equal place, based on one unemployment stat, for one minority group.

    and you have again hit upon my paramount concern. if a protected class is allowed to remain in the AA program, despite its achieving success better than the majority counterpart, then the very purpose for the AA program is lost. why have an AA program once parity has been accomplished; there is no further need of it. but for the other minority groups that still struggle without achieving parity, they continue to need AA to level the economic playing field to move toward parity. some more slowly than others. by allowing one group to remain, which group is found no longer to require AA assistance to achieve parity, undermines the support for an AA program otherwise having legitimate purpose. that purpose cannot be found for asians being in AA programs dedicated to elevating economic prosperity. the success of the asian minority group should be cause for celebration that AA works. but if the successful asian minority continues to receive AA assistance, despite its observable economic success, that will cause the majority to question the continued legitimacy of the entire AA program. AA needs to remain to assist the hispanics, blacks, Native Americans, aleuts, women, and the disabled, just as it has already helped the asians
    This is where you loose me once again. Mostly because you are operating under this one idea, that a minority group is achieving success better then the majority. That is a VERY narrow view, considering that you are only considering 1 months unemployment stat. There are tons of other statistics out there, that demonstrate there is still a deep inequality in socio economic success between races in this country. Point to a .4% increase over Whites, for a single month, in a single category, doesn't make the case for what you are describing. I'm not saying you are wrong in your assertions. I'm just saying, I don't think we are there yes.

    i embrace the AA program but see it poorly managed at the federal level. SC chief justice pointed out and he is quite right. AA should not have a racial aspect to its criteria for participation in that program; it should be purely based on one's economic condition
    it would be expected that a greater percentage of the black and hispanic populations would be eligible to participate in AA programs than those percentages of the asian and white populations, but the race-neutral aspect of eligibility should allow members of all races to support a program intended to elevate the economic standing of the underclass, no matter the individual's race, gender, etc
    While I agree with that AA programs are poorly miss managed, I STRONGLY disagree with you on Chief Justice Roberts comments on the subject. When looking at two applicants for a job, you don't disclose your socio economic standing when interviewing, so it's can't be used as a way to disqualify you for a position. On the flip side, you can't hide that your black when you sit down at an interview. Without the protections of AA, as it stands, what stops a racist, white employer from ignoring the qualifications of a black applicant, just because he's black? AA doesn't exist because minorities are disporportionatly poor. They are disporportionatly poor, because of the discrimination they suffered through generations. Discrimination that still exists very prevalently in American society.

    To me, redirecting AA style programs to focus on economic standing, rather then race, is like slapping gauze on a knife wound. Just because the it stops the bleeding, doesn't mean the wound is treated. Maybe not the perfect analogy, but hopefully you get my point, lol.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  10. #40
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: CPAC Panel On Race: 'Young, White Southern Males' Hurt By Racial Outreach

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    It's good to see a rational post on the sort of thread where the shrieking loons seem to go insane with emotion and ignorant self-righteousness.

    I agree that the various classifications seek out their own. When the dust settles in the United States, we will again have neighborhoods divided along ethnic lines. The dirty little secret is that white Liberals seek out their own just as quickly as good old Southern boys.

    At the present time, it's very profitable for white Liberals to pretend that they are champions of the less populous races, but they do their pretending from white enclaves.

    There is nothing wrong with wanting to be around your own, that has been the preference since the beginning of time and always will be, particularly now with the huge 1st world and 3rd world cultural differences.
    Thank you.

    White liberals, of the limousine variety, are the only ones I can think of "as a group" who want intergration (for others) on a wholesale level. As you've pointed out but I'll add, they too have outliers but limit them to their own economic levels of prosperity. This is why you'll see them welcome with open arms Michael Jordan to their neighborhoods but not his cousin Reggie.

    But of course, you know they preach that mixed income/race gentrification is all fine and well,....................................for those people...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •