Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Monte, California
    Last Seen
    07-05-13 @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,471

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat - chicagotribune.com"Wearing his hat cocked to the right got an innocent 19-year-old Zion man killed early Sunday, Lake County prosecutors said today.
    Jose M. Garcia, 18, of the 600 block of Deepwoods, Mundelein, and Jose Rebollar-Verara, 24, of the 500 block of N. Carol Lane, Round Lake Park, thought that the tilt of Gabriel Gonzales’ hat indicated that he was a member of a rival gang, said Lake County Assistant State’s Atty. Ken LaRue.
    Gonzales was leaving the One Stop Food and Liquor store, at 1015 Fairfield Road at about 12:45 a.m., when Garcia and Rebollar-Verara followed him outside and began flashing gang signs, LaRue said. Gonzales turned to run away and Garcia shot at him ten times, hitting him once in the back, LaRue said."

    "There is no information that Gonzales was in a gang, LaRue said.
    Garcia has 30 previous arrests as a juvenile and adult - including six convictions for domestic battery, LaRue said. Rebollar-Verara has eight previous arrests, including two weapons convictions, he said."

    Continually we hear of the desire to create new gun laws, laws which invariably target only law abiding citizen. When the discussion turns to enforcement of existing laws or mandatory minimums, there is always an excuse, a justification for behavior, or a reason why those laws would be unfair. Meanwhile...another innocent man is dead at the hands of someone with 6 domestic battery arrests and two prior firearms convictions. No...this victim isn't a cute little white face school kid that can be repeatedly exploited...but he was somebodies 'child', and he is dead...and it will be ignored.
    Why don't we hear any stories about LEO's taking these guns away before they commit a crime? Oh right these are actual criminals who are an actual threat to others in possession of illegal guns

    This is why I choose and want others to have the choice of being armed and dangerous...to criminals

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, why, you might ask yourself, was this wild animal not locked up? Why, because there isn't room in prison for violent criminals, what with all the potheads and crack addicts that have to be kept in jail as enemy combatants in the war on drugs.
    Hey now, marihuana is the scourge of civilized society.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #13
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Stupid gang wars. No wonder we have so many murders in the USA. They kill because of wearing a hat the wrong way, wearing the wrong color, or just giving someone a "dirty look."

    and Salt Lake City used to be a safe place to be.



    So, why, you might ask yourself, was this wild animal not locked up? Why, because there isn't room in prison for violent criminals, what with all the potheads and crack addicts that have to be kept in jail as enemy combatants in the war on drugs.



    But it's way easier to pass ineffective gun laws than it is to stop gang violence.



    No, he isn't a cute white faced school kid, which shouldn't matter in the least.

    But, unfortunately, it does.
    I'm all for decriminalizing marijuana use...I think jail for possession is foolish. Heck I'm all for legalizing it altogether. But it's presumptuous to believe that is why he wasnt in prison. Much more likely (based on his age) he was given a bunch of wrist slaps because he was a juvenile.

  4. #14
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What's an 18-year old gangbanger with 30 arrests and six domestic battery convictions doing out of jail?
    It's Chicago. Nothing else need be explained.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I'm all for decriminalizing marijuana use...I think jail for possession is foolish. Heck I'm all for legalizing it altogether. But it's presumptuous to believe that is why he wasnt in prison. Much more likely (based on his age) he was given a bunch of wrist slaps because he was a juvenile.
    That is another possibility.

    But, they do keep letting criminals out because there isn't room for them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
    Why don't we hear any stories about LEO's taking these guns away before they commit a crime? Oh right these are actual criminals who are an actual threat to others in possession of illegal guns

    This is why I choose and want others to have the choice of being armed and dangerous...to criminals
    Are you kidding? If you go after a minority there are going to be 20 civil rights organizations dropping subpoenas off on your doorstep. They don't care what the kid did. All they care about is his skin color and how he's been "oppressed" for his whole life and how law enforcement is just trying to keep the people down. If the city cracks down too much they end up with millions upon millions in legal costs so they turn their eyes away to the crime and then pay "reparations" to these extortionists and meanwhile the city keeps getting dragged lower and lower and more and more kids end up running the streets.

  7. #17
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Stupid gang wars. No wonder we have so many murders in the USA. They kill because of wearing a hat the wrong way, wearing the wrong color, or just giving someone a "dirty look."

    and Salt Lake City used to be a safe place to be.



    So, why, you might ask yourself, was this wild animal not locked up? Why, because there isn't room in prison for violent criminals, what with all the potheads and crack addicts that have to be kept in jail as enemy combatants in the war on drugs.



    But it's way easier to pass ineffective gun laws than it is to stop gang violence.



    No, he isn't a cute white faced school kid, which shouldn't matter in the least.

    But, unfortunately, it does.
    after the northridge quake, had a co-worker appraising damage
    wore our agency's blue cap
    took it off when he got out of the car
    apparently that was a then used signal to initiate a drive by
    that federal official was wasted for the innocent act of wiping sweat from his brow
    never located his killer
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    after the northridge quake, had a co-worker appraising damage
    wore our agency's blue cap
    took it off when he got out of the car
    apparently that was a then used signal to initiate a drive by
    that federal official was wasted for the innocent act of wiping sweat from his brow
    never located his killer
    How sad and how absurd.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #19
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat - chicagotribune.com"Wearing his hat cocked to the right got an innocent 19-year-old Zion man killed early Sunday, Lake County prosecutors said today.
    Jose M. Garcia, 18, of the 600 block of Deepwoods, Mundelein, and Jose Rebollar-Verara, 24, of the 500 block of N. Carol Lane, Round Lake Park, thought that the tilt of Gabriel Gonzales’ hat indicated that he was a member of a rival gang, said Lake County Assistant State’s Atty. Ken LaRue.
    Gonzales was leaving the One Stop Food and Liquor store, at 1015 Fairfield Road at about 12:45 a.m., when Garcia and Rebollar-Verara followed him outside and began flashing gang signs, LaRue said. Gonzales turned to run away and Garcia shot at him ten times, hitting him once in the back, LaRue said."

    "There is no information that Gonzales was in a gang, LaRue said.
    Garcia has 30 previous arrests as a juvenile and adult - including six convictions for domestic battery, LaRue said. Rebollar-Verara has eight previous arrests, including two weapons convictions, he said."

    Continually we hear of the desire to create new gun laws, laws which invariably target only law abiding citizen. When the discussion turns to enforcement of existing laws or mandatory minimums, there is always an excuse, a justification for behavior, or a reason why those laws would be unfair. Meanwhile...another innocent man is dead at the hands of someone with 6 domestic battery arrests and two prior firearms convictions. No...this victim isn't a cute little white face school kid that can be repeatedly exploited...but he was somebodies 'child', and he is dead...and it will be ignored.
    You're presuming he was lawfully permitted to own said firearm? He had a CC permit, etc etc?

    I have a feeling - for some insane reason - that this is not going to be the case. Call me crazy.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #20
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Prosecutor: Man killed because of the way he wore his hat

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    It's Chicago. Nothing else need be explained.
    If I ever turn to a life of crime, at least I know what city would welcome me as a brother. Know where I apply for a thieves guild license to steal?
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •