Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,571

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    I wouldn't be opposed to a one time hike in tax rates.
    The Govt could use the money.
    a change in the tax rates beyond a year. No good. California will most assuredly find out why.

  2. #12
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    The anti-California meme is de rigueur for the modern Tea partier.

    I love how it's so wonderfully counterfactual.

    What state has a $2B budget surplus, not to mention is the largest economy in the US?

    Come on, you can say it!

    Why the state of Abject Delusion, of which it is apparent there is at least one resident!

    Here's some more facts to run from...


    California’s Balanced Budget: Not as Good as It Looks - By Veronique de Rugy - The Corner - National Review Online

    Brown’s budget not only assumes $1.1 billion in higher income and sales tax revenues than the November projections, but it also takes advantage of an additional $1 billion in revenues that will supposedly be created by the state’s new cap-and-trade program and the elimination of certain development tax breaks.

    But Brown was hardly in a position to make such assumptions. Before his speech, the first round of cap-and-trade auctions had already taken place, producing only 14 percent of expected revenue. In addition, California’s state controller had already released numbers in December showing that actual tax collections were 10.8 percent below projection.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not according to your article:
    Gee, is that all! Still a surplus

    The rightwing noise machine is proved false again. It's becoming a habit, like Palin saying something stupid about the revolutionary war.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Why the state of Abject Delusion, of which it is apparent there is at least one resident!

    Here's some more facts to run from...


    California’s Balanced Budget: Not as Good as It Looks - By Veronique de Rugy - The Corner - National Review Online

    Brown’s budget not only assumes $1.1 billion in higher income and sales tax revenues than the November projections, but it also takes advantage of an additional $1 billion in revenues that will supposedly be created by the state’s new cap-and-trade program and the elimination of certain development tax breaks.

    But Brown was hardly in a position to make such assumptions. Before his speech, the first round of cap-and-trade auctions had already taken place, producing only 14 percent of expected revenue. In addition, California’s state controller had already released numbers in December showing that actual tax collections were 10.8 percent below projection.
    National Review. Perfect!

    See how the rightwing noise machine just can't stand the thought that raising taxes works, and so does California.

    By the way the meme that businesses are leaving California in droves . .. more rightwing dreck. Totally debunked.


    Studies not stories: Businesses are NOT leaving California | California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV)

    NEXT!

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by KLATTU View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to a one time hike in tax rates.
    The Govt could use the money.
    a change in the tax rates beyond a year. No good. California will most assuredly find out why.
    Conservatives keep repeating this meme. But if you want to make money in hi tech, in trade on the Pacific rim, in intellectual property, you come to California not Alabama.

  6. #16
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    National Review. Perfect!

    See how the rightwing noise machine just can't stand the thought that raising taxes works, and so does California.

    By the way the meme that businesses are leaving California in droves . .. more rightwing dreck. Totally debunked.


    Studies not stories: Businesses are NOT leaving California | California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV)

    NEXT!




    Some people make it so easy....


    As Manufacturing Picks Up Nationwide, California Struggles to Compete

    February 5, 2013

    By contrast, a closer look at manufacturing in California reveals a different trend, with manufacturing jobs declining over the past year. According to the state’s Employment Development Department’s January report, the state unemployment rate remained unchanged at 9.8 percent in December, while four categories, including mining and logging manufacturing, other services, and government, posted job declines over the past year.


    HINT: Never enter into a debate about California. It's the Progressives worst nightmare. You can't hide what has been done to one out of eight people living in this country.

  7. #17
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,571

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Speaking of memes going down the drain, I see that California is coming up with big spending cuts? Huh? I thought Government spending was good for the economy?

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    :mdonkey


    Some people make it so easy....


    As Manufacturing Picks Up Nationwide, California Struggles to Compete

    February 5, 2013

    By contrast, a closer look at manufacturing in California reveals a different trend, with manufacturing jobs declining over the past year. According to the state’s Employment Development Department’s January report, the state unemployment rate remained unchanged at 9.8 percent in December, while four categories, including mining and logging manufacturing, other services, and government, posted job declines over the past year.


    HINT: Never enter into a debate about California. It's the Progressives worst nightmare. You can't hide what has been done to one out of eight people living in this country.
    Pssst: California has the largest manufacturing base in the nation. Indeed, Southern California does, all by itself!

    http://www.ourweekly.com/los-angeles...turing-economy

    Jeez, it's like taking oxycontin from a comatose Limbaugh.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Quote Originally Posted by KLATTU View Post
    Speaking of memes going down the drain, I see that California is coming up with big spending cuts? Huh? I thought Government spending was good for the economy?
    So many memes, so little time.

    1. Aaaahnold left a mess, so we had to cut.

    2. We also raised taxes, which is why we have a surplus.

    3. Now the cutting is through and in fact spending will increase, thank God.

    That's how you grow -- you invest. A concept lost on conservatives.

  10. #20
    User Not on ur side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    03-21-13 @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21

    Re: Big taxes + big spending cuts = California budget surplus

    Baaaa, why care about California? I want to care about how bad my state is... you know the united one, thats my state

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •