Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 106

Thread: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

  1. #81
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Still would love to hear the opinion on all those individuals who are in favor of the Redskins caving to public pressure, or being legally forced, to change their name in regards to The Buffalo Bills....the team named after an individual who did more to further the stereotype of the face painted, headress wearing, savage who's the last threat to civilization than arguably any other single individual and who also had a significant hand in the decimation of the American Bison that was so integral to the lives of many Native American tribes.
    I did not know the Bills were named after Cody. Hmmm, learn something new everyday.

    As a side note: I did come across this and found it interesting... History of NFL Team Names


    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    You forgot alcoholism on reservations too. In fact, alcoholism has a hand in those other issues on reservations. Sure, there are other problems that need attention. That doesn't take away from the fact that they could change their name back to the Braves in order to protect their public image. I think you know it's inappropriate to refer to Native Americans as "redskins".
    I have zero faith that the people who are complaining and/or filing lawsuits against the Redskins name would be satisfied with the name Braves.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #82
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have zero faith that the people who are complaining and/or filing lawsuits against the Redskins name would be satisfied with the name Braves.
    You may be right. I don't mind the Braves. I think Redskins is controversial. There is nothing to gain by keeping it, only by changing it can they gain positive PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #83
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I did not know the Bills were named after Cody. Hmmm, learn something new everyday.

    As a side note: I did come across this and found it interesting... History of NFL Team Names



    I have zero faith that the people who are complaining and/or filing lawsuits against the Redskins name would be satisfied with the name Braves.
    I think the key would be working out a deal directly with a tribes leaders. Pick out a bad ass tribe and figure out what to trade each other. Then if anyone goes wrong everyone can blame the Native-American leaders. :p Native-Americans can end up getting a college or stadium or TV coverage for Native-American awareness or whatever the heck they want. Team owners could have a "trophy" to flaunt on TV about how much they help and what native-americans they specifically got into a team or what not. I dunno these are pretty crummy, quickly thought up examples but im pretty sure both sides could benefit from this somehow.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Do you have any data on how people named "Bill" feel about it?

    Seriously, calling someone "Bill" is less offensive than calling them "redskin". But yes, being named for "Buffalo Bill" is a poor choice given the history.
    Calling someone bill is irrelevant to my point since I wasn't suggesting the term "bill" is offensive (to anyone but Hillary Clinton)

  5. #85
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Calling someone bill is irrelevant to my point since I wasn't suggesting the term "bill" is offensive (to anyone but Hillary Clinton)
    Bill isn't a disparaging term. That is my point. What is your point? They shouldn't be talking about this because children are starving in the Sudan. They should be more upset about Bill Cody being the namesake because he was no friend to the Native Americans? That may be true, but it doesn't whitewash the term "redskin".
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #86
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Bill isn't a disparaging term. That is my point. What is your point?
    My point was furthering the notion that many of those in the media and public bitching about the Redskins names are doing so mostly because it's a "feel good cause" that they can feel warm and fuzzy over because it takes no significant thought or any legitimate effort on their part to actually look at in any kind of objective or curious manner. People like to throw out that the Redskins name should change because in the past team employees wore headdresses and some fans still do and it creates a cartoonish caricature of native americans. Meanwhile, most completely are oblivious to a team that is actually named in honor of the man who arguably had the biggest influence in american history of creating the caricature of the "savage indian".

    I wasn't suggesting that calling someone a "Bill" is offensive. I was suggesting that based on some of the arguments against the Redskins name, one should likely say the Bills name is also offensive since it's named after a man who rose to fame in large part for massively perpetuating some of those same "offensive" things.

    They shouldn't be talking about this because children are starving in the Sudan. They should be more upset about Bill Cody being the namesake because he was no friend to the Native Americans? That may be true, but it doesn't whitewash the term "redskin".
    To be frank it seems to be whites trying to "whitewash" Redskins into a significant and offensive racial slur, seeing how the majority of the native american population seem to think differently. As I said, I'd be happy to see any evidence to the contrary. Forgive me if I don't believe you, or others, are better apt to dictate what should be offensive to Native Americans than the majority of themselves. Attempting to toss out emotional charged words like "Whitewashing" isn't proving your point...it only exemplifies the seeming belief of knowing "better" than the majority of Native Americans on what they should feel.

    My comments regarding the plight of Native American's and the massive issues within the community was not aimed at suggesting the Redskins shouldn't change their name. There's multiple reasons why I think they shouldn't, that's not one of them. That comment, as I made perfectly clear if you read my post, was aimed more at the MOTIVATION and MENTALITY of many of those that make the case that they should change their name.

  7. #87
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Bill isn't a disparaging term. That is my point. What is your point? They shouldn't be talking about this because children are starving in the Sudan. They should be more upset about Bill Cody being the namesake because he was no friend to the Native Americans? That may be true, but it doesn't whitewash the term "redskin".
    While we're at it, let's change the name of the New England Patriots, too. They... early patriots... weren't exactly the Native American's friends, either.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #88
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    My point was furthering the notion that many of those in the media and public bitching about the Redskins names are doing so mostly because it's a "feel good cause" that they can feel warm and fuzzy over because it takes no significant thought or any legitimate effort on their part to actually look at in any kind of objective or curious manner. People like to throw out that the Redskins name should change because in the past team employees wore headdresses and some fans still do and it creates a cartoonish caricature of native americans. Meanwhile, most completely are oblivious to a team that is actually named in honor of the man who arguably had the biggest influence in american history of creating the caricature of the "savage indian".

    I wasn't suggesting that calling someone a "Bill" is offensive. I was suggesting that based on some of the arguments against the Redskins name, one should likely say the Bills name is also offensive since it's named after a man who rose to fame in large part for massively perpetuating some of those same "offensive" things.
    Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself. I don't think it respectful to refer to Native Americans as "redskins".

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    To be frank it seems to be whites trying to "whitewash" Redskins into a significant and offensive racial slur, seeing how the majority of the native american population seem to think differently. As I said, I'd be happy to see any evidence to the contrary. Forgive me if I don't believe you, or others, are better apt to dictate what should be offensive to Native Americans than the majority of themselves. Attempting to toss out emotional charged words like "Whitewashing" isn't proving your point...it only exemplifies the seeming belief of knowing "better" than the majority of Native Americans on what they should feel.

    My comments regarding the plight of Native American's and the massive issues within the community was not aimed at suggesting the Redskins shouldn't change their name. There's multiple reasons why I think they shouldn't, that's not one of them. That comment, as I made perfectly clear if you read my post, was aimed more at the MOTIVATION and MENTALITY of many of those that make the case that they should change their name.
    I think for some people "white guilt" may play a part. It's embarrassing to be associated with the genocide that took place under the guise of Manifest Destiny. It's embarrassing that the Nation that committed that genocide has a Capital that uses that term for a sports team. Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #89
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    While we're at it, let's change the name of the New England Patriots, too. They... early patriots... weren't exactly the Native American's friends, either.
    Don't forget the Cowboys too.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    I think the key would be working out a deal directly with a tribes leaders. Pick out a bad ass tribe and figure out what to trade each other. Then if anyone goes wrong everyone can blame the Native-American leaders. :p Native-Americans can end up getting a college or stadium or TV coverage for Native-American awareness or whatever the heck they want. Team owners could have a "trophy" to flaunt on TV about how much they help and what native-americans they specifically got into a team or what not. I dunno these are pretty crummy, quickly thought up examples but im pretty sure both sides could benefit from this somehow.
    One of the toughest and most powerful of the American Indian tribes were the blackfeet. But that may be too colorful as well.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •