Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106

Thread: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

  1. #61
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,001

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So 9% overrule the other 90% in terms of what's "offensive" to the whole?

    Less than one tenth of a population finding something offensive is enough to justify forcing an entity to change what they're doing? Something tells me you wouldn't be consistent what so ever with that standard, adhering to it here only because YOU find it offensive and therefore you feel it's fine to ignore the vast majority in a population to focus on those that actually agree with you.
    One of the plights of Native Americans living in America is how does a minority have a voice when 99% of the country that surrounded them doesn't give a **** about them? (made up stats)
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #62
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    One of the plights of Native Americans living in America is how does a minority have a voice when 99% of the country that surrounded them doesn't give a **** about them? (made up stats)

    Except that in the case of the Redskins name and logo its the majority of American Indians that Victimization Inc. doesn't seem to give a **** about.

  3. #63
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,001

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Except that in the case of the Redskins name and logo its the majority of American Indians that Victimization Inc. doesn't seem to give a **** about.
    So in the future when only 1% of the elderly remember racism will it be okay to name teams "The Niggers"? And as I said I dont think any law should force the name change. Indians should come together and entice the "greedy" corporation in some way if money is what they want. Strike a deal if its important.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #64
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    So in the future when only 1% of the elderly remember racism will it be okay to name teams "The Niggers"? And as I said I dont think any law should force the name change. Indians should come together and entice the "greedy" corporation in some way if money is what they want. Strike a deal if its important.
    Shock value argument is shocking... but not logical.

    No, the term redskin is a translation of the Indian word for Indians. So in a way the arc of offense for the word Redskin is exactly opposite, only lately being taken as offensive by some based on false claims as to it's origin... the other word was used as a slur since it's inception and recently has been adopted by a small number of blacks as a term they use for each other.

  5. #65
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,001

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Shock value argument is shocking... but not logical.

    No, the term redskin is a translation of the Indian word for Indians. So in a way the arc of offense for the word Redskin is exactly opposite, only lately being taken as offensive by some based on false claims as to it's origin... the other word was used as a slur since it's inception and recently has been adopted by a small number of blacks as a term they use for each other.
    Ive heard my black friends say that white people can be niggers too.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  6. #66
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I can understand your dissatisfaction with using the legal system to force them to change their name.

    I applaud the 90% that don't take offense to the term. That doesn't mean that the 9% don't have a valid issue.

    Go check with your HR dept. Ask them if calling Native Americans "Redskins" is acceptable.

    "Hey redskin, show me your photo ID."
    Probably happens on reservations a lot.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #67
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Ive heard my black friends say that white people can be niggers too.

    Cool story.

  8. #68
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I can understand your dissatisfaction with using the legal system to force them to change their name.

    I applaud the 90% that don't take offense to the term. That doesn't mean that the 9% don't have a valid issue.

    Go check with your HR dept. Ask them if calling Native Americans "Redskins" is acceptable.

    "Hey redskin, show me your photo ID."
    To many 'Indians' the term "Native American" is as offensive as the PC crowd finds the word 'Indian' and for the same reason. Object to Indian because Columbus mistook them for 'Indians'? Ah...so we right that wrong by naming them native "Americans". Because...they lived in "America"...edge of course...Europeans named it the Americas.

    Tribal specific names are preferred. But hey...PC rocks.

  9. #69
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    To many 'Indians' the term "Native American" is as offensive as the PC crowd finds the word 'Indian' and for the same reason. Object to Indian because Columbus mistook them for 'Indians'? Ah...so we right that wrong by naming them native "Americans". Because...they lived in "America"...edge of course...Europeans named it the Americas.

    Tribal specific names are preferred. But hey...PC rocks.
    If Washington wants to keep the "Redskins" they are going to have to buy an NFL franchise named the "Paleface" for the people who were here before Whitey.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #70
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Redskins Name Lawsuit Heard By Federal Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    If Washington wants to keep the "Redskins" they are going to have to buy an NFL franchise named the "Paleface" for the people who were here before Whitey.
    No one "has" to buy anyone a franchise, but if a group of Indians want to invest in one and call em The Palefaces...bless their heart. I'd actually like to see who would get all up in arms over it.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •