Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75

Thread: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

  1. #51
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It has been known for many years that the govt has deployed anti-aircraft missiles to be used to defend the White House from an attack by air. If attacked by air, this form of military defense would be used even if the attacker were a US citizen.

    Drones are just a different form of military defense which can be used to thwart an attack, by a citizen or non-citizen, on domestic soil. I don't see why the anti-aircraft defenses bothers no one but the potential use of drones get so many in a tizzy.
    Those anti-aircraft missiles are defensive in nature,a missile fired from a drone is offensive.....Huge difference in the use of the two.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  2. #52
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucky View Post
    Those anti-aircraft missiles are defensive in nature,a missile fired from a drone is offensive.....Huge difference in the use of the two.
    When a missile is fired to end an attack, then that is a defensive action.

    Our military has a large # of defensive missile. Ground based anti-aircraft missiles are all meant to be used as a defense against attack. The first sentence of your response proves that I am correct
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #53
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    When a missile is fired to end an attack, then that is a defensive action.

    Our military has a large # of defensive missile. Ground based anti-aircraft missiles are all meant to be used as a defense against attack. The first sentence of your response proves that I am correct
    No you are trying to justify your position by saying every missile fired is defensive when that is simply not true.A missile fired from a drone or any other kind of aircraft at a ground based target is not defending....That is attacking.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  4. #54
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucky View Post
    No you are trying to justify your position by saying every missile fired is defensive when that is simply not true.A missile fired from a drone or any other kind of aircraft at a ground based target is not defending....That is attacking.
    Now you're so desperate for an argument, you have to make crap up and pretend I said it

    If the ground based target is attacking us, the blowing it up is a defensive measure
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Apparently Mr. Holder never heard of the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.
    That was passed by a bunch of rich, white, slaveowners; he don't pay that no nevermind.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #56
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,495

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucky View Post
    Those anti-aircraft missiles are defensive in nature,a missile fired from a drone is offensive.....Huge difference in the use of the two.
    So a terrorist using an anti-aircraft missile to shoot down a passenger plane would be defensive but a drone used to kill him before he can fire would be offensive (by both definitions of the word)?

  7. #57
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Now you're so desperate for an argument, you have to make crap up and pretend I said it

    If the ground based target is attacking us, the blowing it up is a defensive measure
    Like I said,you are saying every missile fired is a defensive act so that it fits into your argument lol
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  8. #58
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    So a terrorist using an anti-aircraft missile to shoot down a passenger plane would be defensive but a drone used to kill him before he can fire would be offensive (by both definitions of the word)?
    No, it depends on how they are applied.Hitting an airliner with an anti-aircraft missile is an offensive act,hitting an incoming aircraft being used as a missile with anti-aircraft missile is clearly defensive.

    Most if not all of our current armed drone uses have been offensive in nature like killing terrorists overseas while they are NOT in the act of firing anti-aircraft missiles at passenger planes.It is highly unlikely you would need drones operating here in the US for the sole purpose of lobbing missiles at terrorists that will most likely be hiding in a populated area.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  9. #59
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    In my experience, MaggieD is no fan of the Obama administration. Just saying.
    In this instance where she put the "qualifiers" for drone strikes on US soil ahead of what the Constitution guarantees she is defending the actions of the Administration. I know she doesnt normally agree with this administration, but in this instance she is.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Barack Obama 'has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil'

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    In this instance where she put the "qualifiers" for drone strikes on US soil ahead of what the Constitution guarantees she is defending the actions of the Administration. I know she doesnt normally agree with this administration, but in this instance she is.
    Your dismissal of her argument on the basis that she will do anything to defend the Obama administration was asinine to begin with. Your use of it when you supposedly knew that she isn't an Obama fan is just a stupid statement.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •