Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 336

Thread: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

  1. #201
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,321

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Maybe. That you think the country will then turn to a Cub Scout on LSD, like Rand Paul, is where you lose me.................
    Do you have evidence that he is on LSD, like blood tests or similar?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Do you have evidence that he is on LSD, like blood tests or similar?
    Some people's ideas of debating is hurling insults devoid of facts or reason.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  3. #203
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    I don't see how anyone could be in favor of suspending the 5th Amendment. When you put it in terms like that....I don't think anyone will support it. We're basically giving the executive the power to execute American citizens suspected of terrorism without the right of due process. No way to plead their case or try and defend their innocence. If you are a suspect...that means you are found to be in suspicion of committing a crime. There is no full-proof evidence against you. Now they take away your right to defend yourself in court as well as a right to be tried by a jury of your peers in front of a judge.

    I understand some of you see this as conspiracy theories and nonsense. I get that, but we as Americans must preserve our rights to liberty. We cannot allow the government (especially the executive branch) to have that kind of authority of execution. It goes against the very fabric of our country. It goes against the idea of a free society. It comes straight out of the book of totalitarianism. We mustn't allow any give on our rights and liberties. We give an inch...they take a mile.

    Remember that freedom is not safe. To live free means to take risks....we must never think that the two terms belong together because they do not.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    I understand some of you see this as conspiracy theories and nonsense.
    I remember when the so-called Left was complaining of abuse of power when the Patriot Act was passed. CONSPIRACY THEORISTS!!!
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #205
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I remember when the so-called Left was complaining of abuse of power when the Patriot Act was passed. CONSPIRACY THEORISTS!!!
    It's funny because the right is screaming for liberty now that it is Obama. The left was screaming when Bush was in office.....

    We Libertarians have been screaming the entire time
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  6. #206
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,728

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    I don't see how anyone could be in favor of suspending the 5th Amendment. When you put it in terms like that....I don't think anyone will support it. We're basically giving the executive the power to execute American citizens suspected of terrorism without the right of due process. No way to plead their case or try and defend their innocence. If you are a suspect...that means you are found to be in suspicion of committing a crime. There is no full-proof evidence against you. Now they take away your right to defend yourself in court as well as a right to be tried by a jury of your peers in front of a judge.

    I understand some of you see this as conspiracy theories and nonsense. I get that, but we as Americans must preserve our rights to liberty. We cannot allow the government (especially the executive branch) to have that kind of authority of execution. It goes against the very fabric of our country. It goes against the idea of a free society. It comes straight out of the book of totalitarianism. We mustn't allow any give on our rights and liberties. We give an inch...they take a mile.

    Remember that freedom is not safe. To live free means to take risks....we must never think that the two terms belong together because they do not.
    Yep.

    And, to add: IMO, killing Americans in Yemen or Pakistan who are suspected of terrorism with drone strikes is one thing. I can almost buy the need there, especially since we cannot easily go to Pakistan or Yemen to arrest these people and then haul them over here for trial. But, to kill someone who is over here, on mere suspicion...that smacks of something this country stands against, and always has. I'm stunned Obama is even considering it.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    It's funny because the right is screaming for liberty now that it is Obama. The left was screaming when Bush was in office.....
    Yes, the Right have shown hypocrisy as well.


    We Libertarians have been screaming the entire time
    Its a great thing about libertarianism: the ideology is pretty consistent.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #208
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Many on the left, who bashed Bush for spying on the American people, are giving Obama a huge pass on this, and are even supporting him. I guess this goes to human nature - "It's horrible, except when our side is doing it. Then, it's the right thing to do". Such hypocricy. I have often criticized Republicans for being hypocrites, but today, the Democrats have taken the cake and eaten it too.
    Umm, for the most part, the left opposes his drone policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #209
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Source? If he won't then he doesn't need the drones or the power to do so.
    Why don't you read the actual letter that Rand is getting his panties in a wad over?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Senator Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster: Reads 'Alice in Wonderland'

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    But the answer isn't as simple as no.
    Yes it is

    Your example is a strawman. The Americans in the airplanes on 9/11 became part of an imminent threat, because the airplanes they were in had become weapons. You're talking about a state of war. That is not what any of this is about.

    Obama is supposedly a "Constitutional Scholar", yet he can't answer a simple straightforward question in regards to what limits there are on his power. The fact that both he and Holder have to give cute evasive answers should be raising red flags, but instead like a puppet whose strings have just been pulled, you proceed to bleet the talking points from the WH verbatim.

    Obama is not some altruistic guy. He has shown a clear pattern of pathological lying, deceit, and questionable character traits. He didn't run an honorable campaign, and he sure as hell isn't an honorable man. He needs to clarify what he believes the absolute limits on his power are. Evasive rhetoric like "Well we never intend to target Americans on American soil who aren't an imminent threat. Promise" isn't good enough.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •