Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

  1. #31
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I am not at all surprised at how many words one can spew to oppose a law without saying anything at all about the actual law itself.
    The content of the bill is irrelevant as to the point I am trying to make.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  2. #32
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    The content of the bill is irrelevant as to the point I am trying to make.
    Of course it's irrelevant!!

    After all, the bill is the topic of this thread, so why even mention it?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #33
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Of course it's irrelevant!!

    After all, the bill is the topic of this thread, so why even mention it?
    I never argued against any of the provisions of the bill, my argument was that a bill was passed called "Violence against Womans Act".
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  4. #34
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I never argued against any of the provisions of the bill, my argument was that a bill was passed called "Violence against Womans Act".
    I cant blame you for running away from your OP, but nothing will hide the fact that you dishonestly used this bill (which you now claim you don't oppose) to promote an agenda which has nothing to do with the bill, and you made dishonest claims about the provisions of this bill (as well as many other dishonest claims) in order to support your misogynist agenda
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #35
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I cant blame you for running away from your OP, but nothing will hide the fact that you dishonestly used this bill (which you now claim you don't oppose) to promote an agenda which has nothing to do with the bill, and you made dishonest claims about the provisions of this bill (as well as many other dishonest claims) in order to support your misogynist agenda
    I guess this is where we will have to part, because I don't believe you have proven any of the above statements you made. And I don't believe I have made a dishonest remark in this whole thread.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #36
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I guess this is where we will have to part, because I don't believe you have proven any of the above statements you made. And I don't believe I have made a dishonest remark in this whole thread.
    Yes, when you claimed that VAWA did not protect men, and I posted a quote from VAWA showing that it protected both men and women, that was an example of me not proving anything, and you making an honest remark
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #37
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, when you claimed that VAWA did not protect men, and I posted a quote from VAWA showing that it protected both men and women, that was an example of me not proving anything, and you making an honest remark
    Can you point out where I said this?
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    I have attended public meetings with testimony from a wide variety of women who experienced domestic violence attesting to the value of the aid they received from anti-domestic violence groups. Domestic violence is something of a social disease and I see the value of awareness campaigns to discourage violence and encourage reporting incidents. As with the anti-tobacco smoking efforts these campaigns do change people's behavior, which reduces the social costs and the medical and legal costs from domestic violence.

    Women, and others who are from an oppressed community, have a need to have confidence in the people that try to help them. Groups for specific demographics, such as immigrants, LGBTs and Native Americans, are more likely to be trusted by people needing assistance, since they may have issues with police and mainstream people based on recent history.

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Can you point out where I said this?
    Post #8.

    You also claimed that all sexual harrasment classes portray men as rapists. I'm still waiting for you to post something to support this lie of yours
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: House passes Violence Against Women Act after GOP version defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    "immigrant survivors of domestic violence to seek legal status"

    Umm, ya.

    Another piece of bull**** crapped out by the demonazis and their neocon enablers.
    Undocumented aliens facing violence risk deportation when they report crimes. That leads to a lot of violence and exploitation of wives, domestic servants and sex workers. There is a danger of false claims to gain legal residency, but there is a proven need to avoid punishing victims of violence, imprisonment and exploitation, if you care about these people's safety and well being.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •