Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #61
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I'll tell you what. If you can show me a single one of these states that still have even a single member of their state congresses from 1964 then I'll consider your argument.
    You are under no obligation to consider all of the facts
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #62
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Can somebody explain what specifically the Voting Rights Act affords?
    Okay, its seems the big fuss is over something called "Section 5" that places procedures on changing voter qualifications. Reading up on it.

    If would seem making sure American can vote shouldn't have be a law that needs to be renewed every few years.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 02-28-13 at 06:22 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You are under no obligation to consider all of the facts
    In other words, you cannot.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Congress has decided that those offenses are not as severe, and it's not the courts place to second guess the findings of congress.

    The offenses are comparable to what is considered under section 5.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Okay, its seems the big fuss is over something called "Section 5" that places procedures on changing voter qualifications. Reading up on it.

    If would seem making sure American can vote shouldn't have be a law that needs to be renewed every few years.
    That isn't the issue. The issue is that it should either be the law for all 50 states, or not the law at all.

  6. #66
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    In other words, you cannot.
    You misspelled "will not"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #67
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nope, you haven't named one pgm that has never ended. Just ones that haven't ended yet

    Nor have you shown that there's no longer any need for this law.
    There isn't a ROFL large enough. I listed a program that was started for the sole purpose of bringing public electricity to to a specific region of the US. That was done, complete, about a decade in. The program still survives, fully government funded, for over half a century AFTER it's temporary mission has been completed.

    As for our "need" for the VRA. Again, it was unconstitutional from day one. However, it was allowed to go on temporarily because of the need to reach a parity, a balance in equal protections regarding voting which were greatly out of whack. The need to allow this unconstitutional measure has passed.

    At the very least, those who think the need still exists should be stumping for it to apply equally to all, bringing the VRA closer in line with constitutional requirements.

  8. #68
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    The offenses are comparable to what is considered under section 5.
    No they aren't which is why you haven't shown that they are
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #69
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    That isn't the issue. The issue is that it should either be the law for all 50 states, or not the law at all.
    The VRA applies to all 50 states
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You misspelled "will not"
    So it is you who is not considering all of the facts.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •