Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #51
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So only states which were guilty of discrimination 50 years ago should be subject to discrimination laws? Got it.
    Wrong again

    The courts have found that they continue to discriminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Under VRA, any one of those 14 states can go to court and argue that they have changed enough to no longer warrant being subjected to the sanctions. If they prove their case, the court will lift the sanctions.
    Which is how the current Supreme Court case came up.

  3. #53
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Only 14 states were found, by due process, to have engaged in discrimination of voters, so only 14 states were sanctioned

    Murder laws do not place sanctions on everyone. Only those found guilty, by due process, of engaging in illegal behavior
    Unlike someone convicted of murder and given a fixed sentence, the VRA sentence is VARIABLE, indefinite and gets extended, so your 5 year "parole" then gets extended to 10 years, then extended again to 35 years and finally to 60 years (all without any reoffense or parole violation). Is that weird or what?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong again

    The courts have found that they continue to discriminate.
    And every state that has discriminated after the law went into effect has be largely ignored.

  5. #55
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    There is a valid point that all states should be required to meet the same standard with regards to oversight of their voting practices. Scalia's baseless speculation as to why the bill was passed if the kind of partisan crap that makes him a very poor justice.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong again

    The courts have found that they continue to discriminate.
    I'll tell you what. If you can show me a single one of these states that still have even a single member of their state congresses from 1964 then I'll consider your argument.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Can somebody explain what specifically the Voting Rights Act affords?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #58
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    There is a valid point that all states should be required to meet the same standard with regards to oversight of their voting practices. Scalia's baseless speculation as to why the bill was passed if the kind of partisan crap that makes him a very poor justice.
    Why do you assume it's baseless when it's well known that politicians often act in ways contrary to their own personal beliefs in favor of what they feel the most active of their voting constituents would favor? Why do you think so many Democrats in red states vote against gun control measures? You don't think it's possible that some members of congress vote on some measures simply to avoid having the Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, etc. ragging on them and accusing them of racism?

  9. #59
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Unlike someone convicted of murder and given a fixed sentence, the VRA sentence is VARIABLE, indefinite and gets extended, so your 5 year "parole" then gets extended to 10 years, then extended again to 35 years and finally to 60 years (all without any reoffense or parole violation). Is that weird or what?
    AFAIK, most people convicted of murder are not given a fixed sentence and some people are incarcerated because they are a danger and kept incarerated, not for a fixed time, but for an indefinite time until they are deemed to no longer be a danger

    There is nothing weird, unusual, or exceptional about VRA,
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #60
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    And every state that has discriminated after the law went into effect has be largely ignored.
    Congress has decided that those offenses are not as severe, and it's not the courts place to second guess the findings of congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •