Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #41
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    SMH. If you think this law is applied equally to all states, there isn't much I can do for you.

    Fact: Murder law applies everyone, not just those who have previously been convicted of murder.
    Fact: VRA outlaws discriminatory laws by only those states who were guilty of discrimination 50 years ago. Case closed.
    And VRA applies to every state, but like the murder laws, the sanctions only apply to those who have engaged in illegal behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #42
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    I think Scalia's words are quite clear, the intented meaning quite clear, and the point is well taken.

    The only people who would take issue with them are those who make a living out of perpetuating racial division.

  3. #43
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I think Scalia's words are quite clear, the intented meaning quite clear, and the point is well taken.

    The only people who would take issue with them are those who make a living out of perpetuating racial division.
    The only people opposed to VRA are those whiners who are rending their garments over the diminishment of racial division
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And VRA applies to every state, but like the murder laws, the sanctions only apply to those who have engaged in illegal behavior
    Only 14 states are required for preclearance from the Federal Gov. Every citizen is required to not murder someone.

  5. #45
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Only 14 states are required for preclearance from the Federal Gov. Every citizen is required to not murder someone.
    Only 14 states were found, by due process, to have engaged in discrimination of voters, so only 14 states were sanctioned

    Murder laws do not place sanctions on everyone. Only those found guilty, by due process, of engaging in illegal behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Only 14 states were found, by due process, to have engaged in discrimination of voters, so only 14 states were sanctioned

    Murder laws do not place sanctions on everyone. Only those found guilty, by due process, of engaging in illegal behavior
    This law isn't about sanctioning. Its about reviewing new laws on the books. If a I.D. card law is passed in both Pennsylvania and Georgia, only the one in Georgia is illegal because of digressions committed 50 years ago by a completely different group of people.

  7. #47
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,749

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Murder laws apply to those for whom due process has shown to be guilty of murder

    This laws applies to those for whom due process has shown to be guilty of discrimination
    OK, let's accept your argument, for the sake of argument. Most murderers (when and where it is not a capital offense) are eventually granted parole, when it is deemed that they are no longer a threat to continue to commit murder. One could also argue that some states which violated civil rights are no longer a threat to continue to violate civil rights, and should now be granted "parole".
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #48
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    This law isn't about sanctioning. Its about reviewing new laws on the books. If a I.D. card law is passed in both Pennsylvania and Georgia, only the one in Georgia is illegal because of digressions committed 50 years ago by a completely different group of people.
    The requirement that they submit their voting regs to review is a sanction.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #49
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    OK, let's accept your argument, for the sake of argument. Murderers are eventually granted parole, when it is deemed that they are no longer a threat to continue to commit murder. One could also argue that some states which violated civil rights are no longer a threat to violate violate civil rights, and should now be granted "parole".
    Under VRA, any one of those 14 states can go to court and argue that they have changed enough to no longer warrant being subjected to the sanctions. If they prove their case, the court will lift the sanctions.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The requirement that they submit their voting regs to review is a sanction.
    So only states which were guilty of discrimination 50 years ago should be subject to discrimination laws? Got it.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •