Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Rich "civil rights leaders" are in the profession of being outraged to try to gain self attention.
    Class warfare, now, huh?

  2. #202
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Class warfare, now, huh?

    Sure, it's the "IN THING" to do. I strive to figure how to be a modern, trendy and enlightened man you know.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It seems you favor guilt by association, thus a never ending control of many southern state's voting distrct bondaries and ID laws by "other" wiser folks from different states. Gerrymandering for "good" is somehow seen as justice, or some sort of payback (reparations?) for acts of long dead folks. One must not prove any discrimination to get the district boundaries changed, simply suggest that another version would be "better" in their "enlightened" view in order to achieve "greater minority representation". Thus we have defined "good" racial/ethnic discrimination that is now legally required only in "known bad" states/districts making it all somehow more "fair". Of course these "fair" districts take into account only the content of one's character and not the color of one's skin just as MLK had in his dream.
    "guilt by association"?

    You mean like saying entilement?

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Sure, it's the "IN THING" to do. I strive to figure how to be a modern, trendy and enlightened man you know.


    Too cool for school, bro.

  5. #205
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It seems you favor guilt by association, thus a never ending control of many southern state's voting distrct bondaries and ID laws by "other" wiser folks from different states. Gerrymandering for "good" is somehow seen as justice, or some sort of payback (reparations?) for acts of long dead folks. One must not prove any discrimination to get the district boundaries changed, simply suggest that another version would be "better" in their "enlightened" view in order to achieve "greater minority representation". Thus we have defined "good" racial/ethnic discrimination that is now legally required only in "known bad" states/districts making it all somehow more "fair". Of course these "fair" districts take into account only the content of one's character and not the color of one's skin just as MLK had in his dream.
    It takes a wacky sense of reality to think that areas which have had hundreds, and possible thousands, of voting rights violations in the recent past are being victimized by "guilt by association" when the truth is that they continue to demonstrate that they are unwilling or unable to protect the rights of all voters.

    Even more absurd is the notion that the govt is somehow discriminating between "good discrimination" and "bad discrimination" when its' actions have only served to reduce discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #206
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It takes a wacky sense of reality to think that areas which have had hundreds, and possible thousands, of voting rights violations in the recent past are being victimized by "guilt by association" when the truth is that they continue to demonstrate that they are unwilling or unable to protect the rights of all voters.

    Even more absurd is the notion that the govt is somehow discriminating between "good discrimination" and "bad discrimination" when its' actions have only served to reduce discrimination.
    Have you seen the court approved (ordered?) Texas election district boundaries? They are intended to discriminate and even the judges drawing them have said so.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #207
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Have you seen the court approved (ordered?) Texas election district boundaries? They are intended to discriminate and even the judges drawing them have said so.
    It is delusional to mischaracterize reality the way you are doing in your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #208
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It seems you favor guilt by association, thus a never ending control of many southern state's voting distrct bondaries and ID laws by "other" wiser folks from different states. Gerrymandering for "good" is somehow seen as justice, or some sort of payback (reparations?) for acts of long dead folks. One must not prove any discrimination to get the district boundaries changed, simply suggest that another version would be "better" in their "enlightened" view in order to achieve "greater minority representation". Thus we have defined "good" racial/ethnic discrimination that is now legally required only in "known bad" states/districts making it all somehow more "fair". Of course these "fair" districts take into account only the content of one's character and not the color of one's skin just as MLK had in his dream.
    That's funny. You act as if racism all died out in the 1960's, but there are plenty of black people in Florida who sued the state, and won, because they were not allowed to vote. Something to do with "felons lists" that even preachers ended up on.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #209
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That's funny. You act as if racism all died out in the 1960's, but there are plenty of black people in Florida who sued the state, and won, because they were not allowed to vote. Something to do with "felons lists" that even preachers ended up on.
    What has that got to do with the VRA? The VRA does not preclude any lawsuits, it places "preclearance" provisions on voting law changes including drawing MANDATORY new district boundaries based on census data. Have you seen the court approved (ordered?) distrct shapes in the Dallas and San Antonio areas? The judges actually bragged how minority friendly they had made them.

    After Court Rejects Discriminatory Redistricting Plan, New Texas Map Creates Four Additional Minority-Friendly Districts | ThinkProgress
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #210
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What has that got to do with the VRA? The VRA does not preclude any lawsuits, it places "preclearance" provisions on voting law changes including drawing MANDATORY new district boundaries based on census data. Have you seen the court approved (ordered?) distrct shapes in the Dallas and San Antonio areas? The judges actually bragged how minority friendly they had made them.

    After Court Rejects Discriminatory Redistricting Plan, New Texas Map Creates Four Additional Minority-Friendly Districts | ThinkProgress
    According to your link, the judge did not say what you claim he said
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •