Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #161
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    You mean sorta like Tucker's rant about Scalia ruling not on the constitutionality of any given argument, but of his own personal biases and prejudices. Any ruling by Scalia, contrary to Tuckers opinion on said constitutionality, is merely Scalia being Scalia; which of course means that Scalia doesn't care about the law, similar to the way Tucker sees it, only Scalia's own version of it. Isn't that kind of how all the Justices rule on anything brought before them? Our prejudices and biases do not derive out of any magical hyper partisan box; they are, instead, a collection of truisms that we develop over our entire existence. It doesn't mean that they are immutable, only that they (our opinions) are tried and tested, and for the individual, mostly accurate when challenged.


    Tim-
    Ah, but you seem to be forgetting: Jusrices are not suposed to be guided by political agendas.

    I don't give a **** about whether or not I agree with a justice's assessment of constitutionality. That's not what my rant was about. My rant was about hypocricy. About supporting a position when it suits your political agenda and then taking a hot **** on top of it when it doesn't suit your political agenda. Almost all of th eJustices do that. They are ALL judicial activists. Every single goddamned one of them.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, but you seem to be forgetting: Jusrices are not suposed to be guided by political agendas.

    I don't give a **** about whether or not I agree with a justice's assessment of constitutionality. That's not what my rant was about. My rant was about hypocricy. About supporting a position when it suits your political agenda and then taking a hot **** on top of it when it doesn't suit your political agenda. Almost all of th eJustices do that. They are ALL judicial activists. Every single goddamned one of them.
    To some extent I tend to agree, or agree more than I disagree, but I guess I didn't see the point of your rant then if that's what you were trying to say. Most sane people know that already, but your specific calling out Scalia led me to believe that Scalia was somehow worse than the others?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #163
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, but you seem to be forgetting: Jusrices are not suposed to be guided by political agendas.

    I don't give a **** about whether or not I agree with a justice's assessment of constitutionality. That's not what my rant was about. My rant was about hypocricy. About supporting a position when it suits your political agenda and then taking a hot **** on top of it when it doesn't suit your political agenda. Almost all of th eJustices do that. They are ALL judicial activists. Every single goddamned one of them.
    And I would add that it's considered a breach of ethics for a judge to state his political beliefs related to an issue that has come before him or her
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #164
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I would add that it's considered a breach of ethics for a judge to state his political beliefs related to an issue that has come before him or her
    You're naive.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #165
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    I can understand John Lewis' getting upset about the remarks. Granted he went through a lot of ****, back in the day. But voting is protected under the 15th Amendment (and others), and therefore additional laws seem redundant at this point. No doubt these particular states also have laws protecting the right to vote. Frankly I think that's what Scalia is shooting for, though he may have phrased it a bit blunt for the sensitive. We should strive to remove laws that are unnecessary once they're no longer needed, and I think this will help heal the racial gap in the long run.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #166
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Agreed, but because the problem is not an official platform of the democrats, and conspiracy theory aside, the fact remains that the biggest detriment to black culture in the US over the last 100 or so years is the democratic machine. They're simply dumb voters, and they come relatively cheap.


    Tim-
    Its not like LBJ didnt make it pretty clear what he thought of the black voting bloc. Its also not like there arent countless examples across the country of just how effective all that 'help' has been.

  7. #167
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    To some extent I tend to agree, or agree more than I disagree, but I guess I didn't see the point of your rant then if that's what you were trying to say. Most sane people know that already, but your specific calling out Scalia led me to believe that Scalia was somehow worse than the others?


    Tim-
    Scalia pisses me off more than others because, more than any other justice, when he ****s on his own arguments in favor of his political agenda, he is ****ting on arguments I actually agree with. His hypocrisy is the most irritating to me because of that.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Scalia pisses me off more than others because, more than any other justice, when he ****s on his own arguments in favor of his political agenda, he is ****ting on arguments I actually agree with. His hypocrisy is the most irritating to me because of that.
    Can you give me a specific example?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #169
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Can you give me a specific example?

    Tim-
    The best possible example is how he ****s all over his own ideology in his dissent on the Arizona immigration bill in order to argue against state's rights when it comes to residency laws, but in favor of state's rights when it comes to opposing illegal immigrants. It is, IMHO, the most glaring example of open hypocrisy I have ever read from any justice ever. He actually quotes the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions to support one position, and then argues against the very position that those resolutions were intended to promote. Truly fascinating hypocrisy in its extreme audacity.

    Also, how he **** all over state's rights with the McDonald v. Chicago decision. That one is an example where I have openly pointed out my own hypocrisy for being happy about the local effects of the decision (because it directly affected me positively as a resident of Chicago) despite the fact that I abhor the fact that it further undermines my position (and what I believe to be a very strict constitutional position) of dual federalism.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The best possible example is how he ****s all over his own ideology in his dissent on the Arizona immigration bill in order to argue against state's rights when it comes to residency laws, but in favor of state's rights when it comes to opposing illegal immigrants. It is, IMHO, the most glaring example of open hypocrisy I have ever read from any justice ever. He actually quotes the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions to support one position, and then argues against the very position that those resolutions were intended to promote. Truly fascinating hypocrisy in its extreme audacity.

    Also, how he **** all over state's rights with the McDonald v. Chicago decision. That one is an example where I have openly pointed out my own hypocrisy for being happy about the local effects of the decision (because it directly affected me positively as a resident of Chicago) despite the fact that I abhor the fact that it further undermines my position (and what I believe to be a very strict constitutional position) of dual federalism.
    Interesting, I'll have to check it for myself, thanks for the start.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •