Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You still can't quote where the VRA says it only applies to certain specific states

    Your argument is that because only murderers are jailed, the murder laws do not apply to all
    Let's see where it says that all states have to have pre-clearance for new laws?

    It doesn't, they made the judgement on which states need pre-clearance at one time, and haven't revised that list since.

  2. #152
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    You do know the difference between section 2 and section 5 don't you? Section 5 is still running based on the 1972 (it was updated by an amendment) formula on which states have to cooperate with section 5. Everyone else understands that, seemingly except for you.
    And nothing I've said could leave you with the impression that I said anything different

    Obviously, you've run out of steam, and are now desperately fishing for something to disagree with
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #153
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Let's see where it says that all states have to have pre-clearance for new laws?
    The same place murder laws say that every person has to apply for parole before being released

    It doesn't, they made the judgement on which states need pre-clearance at one time, and haven't revised that list since.
    Actually, the list has been changed. Several areas have gone to court and argued that they should be removed from the list of covered areas and won.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #154
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Being married to a Native American (she has a card that verifies she is) and a brother in law to a Mexican American and the grandfather of Emiliano, I tire of minority compalints. Get a life.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The same place murder laws say that every person has to apply for parole before being released
    States aren't people.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, the list has been changed. Several areas have gone to court and argued that they should be removed from the list of covered areas and won.
    Several counties you mean. But the point remains that a voter ID law in Rhode Island is a-okay but one in South Carolina got struck down by the Justice Department and pretty much guarantees that they will remain on the list for the next 10 years. That is, of course, if the Supreme Court doesn't strike down section 5 in the coming months.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And nothing I've said could leave you with the impression that I said anything different

    Obviously, you've run out of steam, and are now desperately fishing for something to disagree with
    I could care less about disagreeing with you. All that matters is what the SCOTUS agrees or disagrees with.

  7. #157
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    States aren't people.
    Yes, and lions aren't tigers


    Several counties you mean. But the point remains that a voter ID law in Rhode Island is a-okay but one in South Carolina got struck down by the Justice Department and pretty much guarantees that they will remain on the list for the next 10 years.
    And there's nothing wrong with that
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #158
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I'd offer my opinion on constitutional law and the decisions of the SCOTUS, but then...anything I say would just be based on my opinion about an issue and not an actual formal education in law.
    You mean sorta like Tucker's rant about Scalia ruling not on the constitutionality of any given argument, but of his own personal biases and prejudices. Any ruling by Scalia, contrary to Tuckers opinion on said constitutionality, is merely Scalia being Scalia; which of course means that Scalia doesn't care about the law, similar to the way Tucker sees it, only Scalia's own version of it. Isn't that kind of how all the Justices rule on anything brought before them? Our prejudices and biases do not derive out of any magical hyper partisan box; they are, instead, a collection of truisms that we develop over our entire existence. It doesn't mean that they are immutable, only that they (our opinions) are tried and tested, and for the individual, mostly accurate when challenged.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #159
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,649

    Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    You mean sorta like Tucker's rant about Scalia ruling not on the constitutionality of any given argument, but of his own personal biases and prejudices. Any ruling by Scalia, contrary to Tuckers opinion on said constitutionality, is merely Scalia being Scalia; which of course means that Scalia doesn't care about the law, similar to the way Tucker sees it, only Scalia's own version of it. Isn't that kind of how all the Justices rule on anything brought before them? Our prejudices and biases do not derive out of any magical hyper partisan box; they are, instead, a collection of truisms that we develop over our entire existence. It doesn't mean that they are immutable, only that they (our opinions) are tried and tested, and for the individual, mostly accurate when challenged.


    Tim-
    ALL of the justices are opinionated. They all have a slant. Thats undeniable. So does EVERY PERSON that comments on their positions.

    I think a thinking person would look at the black community in America and recognize they have been victimized by their 'leader' and politicians over the last 150 years or so. The black communities, especially in inner cities, have been stagnant, or worse. While some move up and out, the vast majority are suffering from the burden of all that 'assistance'. Its not getting better, and it wont. I suspect thats where Scalia was coming from.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    ALL of the justices are opinionated. They all have a slant. Thats undeniable. So does EVERY PERSON that comments on their positions.

    I think a thinking person would look at the black community in America and recognize they have been victimized by their 'leader' and politicians over the last 150 years or so. The black communities, especially in inner cities, have been stagnant, or worse. While some move up and out, the vast majority are suffering from the burden of all that 'assistance'. Its not getting better, and it wont. I suspect thats where Scalia was coming from.
    Agreed, but because the problem is not an official platform of the democrats, and conspiracy theory aside, the fact remains that the biggest detriment to black culture in the US over the last 100 or so years is the democratic machine. They're simply dumb voters, and they come relatively cheap.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •