Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, EVERY STATE had to be abide by the law, or face sanctions

    IOW, contrary to your claims, VRA does not say that it applies only to certain specific states or areas. It says that it only applies to states and areas that acted illegally.
    A State is specially covered if it:
    Maintained on November 1, 1964, any test or device as a prerequisite
    to registration or voting and
    Had a total voting age population of which less than 50 percent was
    registered or actually voted in the 1964 presidential election.
    or
    Maintained on November 1, 1968, any test or device as a prerequisite
    to registration or voting and
    Had a total voting age population of which less than 50 percent was
    registered or actually voted in the 1968 presidential election.
    In a State which does not fall under these requirements, individual counties can
    be specially covered if they meet either of the tests.
    In addition, the special provisions can be made to apply to any State or county
    in the country if a court so orders in a suit brought by the Attorney General to
    enforce the 15th amendment.
    The following States and counties remain specially covered under provisions
    of the Voting Rights Act of 1965:
    Alabama Virginia
    Georgia 39 counties in North Carolina
    Louisiana Yuma County, Arizona
    Mississippi Honolulu County, Hawaii
    South Carolina

    Surely you aren't going to disagree with the Law department of the University of Maryland are you?

  2. #142
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,749

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well, luck and a lifetime studying and adjudicating the law.
    Bah...law school and a lifetime of studying the law is for chumps. All you need is an internet connection and a login and you instantly know more about what the law REALLY means than those lawyer types.

  3. #143
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Surely you aren't going to disagree with the Law department of the University of Maryland are you?
    The quotes from the VRA do not say that they apply only to certain specific states. They say they apply to any state which violates those provisions.

    The quote from UM is not a quote from VRA and merely identifies those states who violated those "special provisions" of VRA
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #144
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, EVERY STATE had to be abide by the law, or face sanctions

    IOW, contrary to your claims, VRA does not say that it applies only to certain specific states or areas. It says that it only applies to states and areas that acted illegally.
    No, in fact it doesn't contain the word "illegally". The special provisons in the act apply only to certain states and localities that have a history (prior to the enactment of the legislation) of voting discrimination.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The quotes from the VRA do not say that they apply only to certain specific states. They say they apply to any state which violates those provisions.

    The quote from UM is not a quote from VRA and merely identifies those states who violated those "special provisions" of VRA
    So you know more then the UM's law school? Now you're just arguing from ignorance.

  6. #146
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Those "special provisions" do not say that they apply only to certain specific states and counties
    Except they do - again YOU posted the list of the specific states and counties those special provisions apply to. Important to note that that list has not changed since enactment except for the three counties that have gained bailout from it as provided in the 2010 amendment to the act.

  7. #147
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, in fact it doesn't contain the word "illegally". The special provisons in the act apply only to certain states and localities that have a history (prior to the enactment of the legislation) of voting discrimination.
    No, the law applies to all states and counties
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #148
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So you know more then the UM's law school? Now you're just arguing from ignorance.
    The UM agrees with me and contradicts your claim
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #149
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except they do - again YOU posted the list of the specific states and counties those special provisions apply to. Important to note that that list has not changed since enactment except for the three counties that have gained bailout from it as provided in the 2010 amendment to the act.
    You still can't quote where the VRA says it only applies to certain specific states

    Your argument is that because only murderers are jailed, the murder laws do not apply to all
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The UM agrees with me and contradicts your claim
    You do know the difference between section 2 and section 5 don't you? Section 5 is still running based on the 1972 (it was updated by an amendment) formula on which states have to cooperate with section 5. Everyone else understands that, seemingly except for you.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •