Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #111
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I never denied that there are covered areas. I argued that the VRA applies to all states.

    It's not my fault you can't understnd those two simple ideas
    The covered areas, that you finally admit to, are not treated equally under the law, that is a violation of the 14th.

    It's really simple, for equal treatment under the law ALL states and localities would have to check with the feds before making laws that concern voting. That is NOT the case with the VRA now.

  2. #112
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You've already done that. In fact you admit it in the very next sentence.
    Nope, it's not my fault you fail to distinguish between VRA and "covered areas" (which VRA doesn't name)



    No, it doesn't. The sanctions apply ONLY to those states and localities who had a previous history of voting suppression where it comes to black Americans, NOT to those currently committing illegal behavior. Look up why law is not retroactive in it's punishment.
    And the sanctions for murder are being applied to people who are NOT currently committing murder
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #113
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The covered areas, that you finally admit to, are not treated equally under the law, that is a violation of the 14th.

    It's really simple, for equal treatment under the law ALL states and localities would have to check with the feds before making laws that concern voting. That is NOT the case with the VRA now.
    And since the sanctions for murder are only applied to people who commit murder, the murder laws violate the 14th amend.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,689

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    I'd offer my opinion on constitutional law and the decisions of the SCOTUS, but then...anything I say would just be based on my opinion about an issue and not an actual formal education in law. That Scalia...like all of them...from grocery store clerks to Supreme Court justices. That's that crazy Italian luck right there...

  5. #115
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nope, it's not my fault you fail to distinguish between VRA and "covered areas" (which VRA doesn't name).
    You're wrong. The VRA established these covered areas in the special provisions of the act. Try reading it

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And the sanctions for murder are being applied to people who are NOT currently committing murder
    No. The penaties for murder are only applied to those found guilty of murder. Had a murder been committed before the law against murder was established it cannot be penalized under that law.

  6. #116
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I'd offer my opinion on constitutional law and the decisions of the SCOTUS, but then...anything I say would just be based on my opinion about an issue and not an actual formal education in law. That Scalia...like all of them...from grocery store clerks to Supreme Court justices. That's that crazy Italian luck right there...
    Well, luck and a lifetime studying and adjudicating the law.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So SCOTUS found that the 14th allows this but that doesn't meant that the 14th allows this
    SCOTUS is also reviewing that decision.

  8. #118
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're wrong. The VRA established these covered areas in the special provisions of the act. Try reading it
    And yet, you *still* can't quote from VRA where it says it only applies to certain specific states and areas



    No. The penaties for murder are only applied to those found guilty of murder. Had a murder been committed before the law against murder was established it cannot be penalized under that law.
    And the sanctions under the VRA are only applied to those found guilty of depriving people of equal protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #119
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    SCOTUS is also reviewing that decision.
    So you admit that SCOTUS decided that VRA doesn't violate the 14th

    It's about time you acknowledged reality
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #120
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And yet, you *still* can't quote from VRA where it says it only applies to certain specific states and areas
    Good grief, read the link, it's the VRA and a handy summary beforehand. It's all right there for you. But here you are again, asking me to prove what you've already admitted exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And the sanctions under the VRA are only applied to those found guilty of depriving people of equal protection.
    Again, no. There was no finding of guilt here and those special provisions under the VRA that create covered areas deal with historical behavior which precedes the act. Retroactivity in law, look into it.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •