Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 217

Thread: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

  1. #101
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So you're now agreeing that law doesn't cover every state.
    Like murder laws, it covers everyone

    Like the murder laws, it doesn't sanction everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #102
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I asked you to quote from VRA, not Wikipedia

    Again, please quote from VRA where it says that VRA only applies to certain specific states and areas
    That's peachy, but you feel no obligation to provide the info I've asked for (mostly because you can't), I feel even less obligation. Are you disputing there are covered jurisdictions? Funny, YOU linked to them. Rock and hard place for your argument.

  3. #103
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Like murder laws, it covers everyone

    Like the murder laws, it doesn't sanction everyone
    Again, murder laws don't carry sanctions.

  4. #104
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So you quoted from wikipedia, but are asking him to quote directly from the law?

    You should read your signature on that one.
    You claimed the VRA only covers certains states. Prove it

    The wiki link agrees with me - section 5 applies sanctions only to states which engaged in illegal behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #105
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's peachy, but you feel no obligation to provide the info I've asked for (mostly because you can't), I feel even less obligation. Are you disputing there are covered jurisdictions? Funny, YOU linked to them. Rock and hard place for your argument.
    I never denied that there are covered areas. I argued that the VRA applies to all states.

    It's not my fault you can't understnd those two simple ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #106
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, murder laws don't carry sanctions.
    Yes they do

    Sanction | Define Sanction at Dictionary.com


    4.
    Law.
    a.
    a provision of a law enacting a penalty for disobedience or a reward for obedience.

    b.
    the penalty or reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #107
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So SCOTUS found that the 14th allows this but that doesn't meant that the 14th allows this
    Wow. No, that's not what the decision says or even what it was about. The equal protection element of the 14th AND the provisions against voting rights restrictions in the VRA is what made this decision. It wasn't a question of the constitutionality of the VRA in light of the 14th (which was what you were supposed to link to proof of). The court hasn't decided on the constitutionality of the VRA AFAIK. That's coming.

  8. #108
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Wow. No, that's not what the decision says or even what it was about. The equal protection element of the 14th AND the provisions against voting rights restrictions in the VRA is what made this decision. It wasn't a question of the constitutionality of the VRA in light of the 14th (which was what you were supposed to link to proof of). The court hasn't decided on the constitutionality of the VRA AFAIK. That's coming.
    IOW, VRA protects the equal protections of rights under the 14th, but it's inconsistent with the 14ths protections of equal rights
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #109
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You claimed the VRA only covers certains states. Prove it
    You've already done that. In fact you admit it in the very next sentence.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The wiki link agrees with me - section 5 applies sanctions only to states which engaged in illegal behavior
    No, it doesn't. The sanctions apply ONLY to those states and localities who had a previous history of voting suppression where it comes to black Americans, NOT to those currently committing illegal behavior. Look up why law is not retroactive in it's punishment.

  10. #110
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia’s ‘racial entitlement’ argument

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, VRA protects the equal protections of rights under the 14th, but it's inconsistent with the 14ths protections of equal rights
    Again, no. I can only assume you are purposefully misunderstanding the decision YOU posted. I'm done, keep on believing whatever you wish.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •