Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 175

Thread: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

  1. #41
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually, there is evidence to suggest that lower-income people are more likely to do drugs.
    And black people are more likely to be involved in drive-by shootings. Let's ban black people from driving and we'll solve the issue. Yes?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And black people are more likely to be involved in drive-by shootings. Let's ban black people from driving and we'll solve the issue. Yes?
    See, your problem is that you didn't read the rest of my post.

    I began by rebutting the OP's assertion that there is no evidence showing that poor people are more likely to do drugs than rich people. I did this just to pop him in the kneecaps for being factually wrong.

    However, the question of who is more likely to do drugs is irrelevant. Thus, I went on to argue my main point: people should be subjected to drug tests if they want to receive welfare money because there is no such thing as a free lunch. I'm all about making them do SOMETHING for the money. If that something is peeing in a cup, hey, fine.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    people should be subjected to drug tests if they want to receive welfare money because there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    This guy begs to differ:

    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This guy begs to differ:

    Charity and welfare: Two entirely different concepts.

  5. #45
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,877

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This guy begs to differ:

    Well, welfare is an entitlement, charity... isn't. So I don't think that's a fair comparison.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Charity and welfare: Two entirely different concepts.
    Then again, he wasn't really doing it out of charity. He was doing what he thought humanity should do for itself. However, that's beside the point: The point is that your argument is ridiculous. You've done absolutely nothing to reap the benefits of dozens of everyday things which you take for granted and yet there you are having a free lunch at its expense. For example, you do not pay for Facebook, and yet its services are free of charge to everyone who signs up for it. Another example, you don't pay into funding the USPS, yet the cost of sending a letter is less than a dollar. You pay less than a dollar to use a service which costs millions to run. In essence, you're getting a free lunch.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Then again, he wasn't really doing it out of charity. He was doing what he thought humanity should do for itself. However, that's beside the point: The point is that your argument is ridiculous. You've done absolutely nothing to reap the benefits of dozens of everyday things which you take for granted and yet there you are having a free lunch at its expense. For example, you do not pay for Facebook, and yet its services are free of charge to everyone who signs up for it. Another example, you don't pay into funding the USPS, yet the cost of sending a letter is less than a dollar. You pay less than a dollar to use a service which costs millions to run. In essence, you're getting a free lunch.
    I pay taxes which pay for the postal service.

    On Facebook, I'm subjected to ads, and advertisers fund facebook in return for this service.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyRux View Post
    Can someone tell me what rights are being violated when the tax-payer (the people providing assistance) are interested in what the recipient of said assistance is doing with the money?

    If a friend said: "Hey, can I borrow $500?", would you just split with the cash without being the wiser of what the money was for?
    If he had been paying me a little bit each month for the right to borrow that money at some time in the future if he needed it, then yes, I would split with it without asking questions.

  9. #49
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually, there is evidence to suggest that lower-income people are more likely to do drugs.

    However, that isn't even the point, so let's get it straight. It's not about who is more or less "likely" to do drugs. The issue is one of principle: there is no such thing as free money without any strings attached.

    If you want other taxpayers to give you money, the least you can do for it is to prove that you're a good citizen by peeing in a cup.
    Good, then bankers and congressmen can also prove that they are good citizens by peeing in a cup.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Good, then bankers and congressmen can also prove that they are good citizens by peeing in a cup.
    In return for what?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •