Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 175

Thread: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Famous last words from a lot of people who I saw ending up in jail.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that failing an employment drug test won't prompt the would-be employer to call the cops. I'd think that they just don't want to be dragged into it. They just check "do not hire" and their hands are clean.

    Fortunately I've never been in a management/personnel position of a place that requires a test. I'd imagine if I was, I'd see the result, file it away, tell the person "you failed, bub-bye" and be done with it.

    You'd have to be a real dick to dime someone out for that.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    ..... if you let her fraudulent, worthless ass die on the street like the common street trash she is, she can cry about how cruel the system is for not letting her bastard prodigy grow up without a mother. ...
    You must be one of those compassionate conservatives I've heard about.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    You must be one of those compassionate conservatives I've heard about.
    Yeah, that's me. I take it you must be Jesus, with an endless supply of cheeks to turn, and have no problem giving of yourself to people who would spit on you.

    One of these days when you're old enough to work, you may grow to resent people who legally steal from you in an effort to do the least amount possible.

  4. #24
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that failing an employment drug test won't prompt the would-be employer to call the cops. I'd think that they just don't want to be dragged into it. They just check "do not hire" and their hands are clean.

    Fortunately I've never been in a management/personnel position of a place that requires a test. I'd imagine if I was, I'd see the result, file it away, tell the person "you failed, bub-bye" and be done with it.

    You'd have to be a real dick to dime someone out for that.
    Probation officers ARE dicks. They have to be, after hearing every excuse in the world why someone violated his probation. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Probation officers ARE dicks. They have to be, after hearing every excuse in the world why someone violated his probation. LOL.
    Is it a law to let potential employers know that you're on probation? See, the jobs I've been involved in hiring for, I receive resumes - I don't have people fill out applications like you would for McDonalds or Wal-mart. As such, I've never sat down with someone and went "so...ever been in the clink?".

    I'm guessing not everyone on probation has those cool ankle bracelets, so I have no physical proof that I'm interviewing someone on probation.

    Of course, even if I was, THEN it definitely would be a pain in the ass to take the steps to narc on them. I'd just tell them "hey...I don't know you, you never came here...comprende?".

    Seems like such a headache to press it.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It is flawed because it makes an asssumption, and constitutes an illegal and unconstitutional search of a person based on no evidence of a crime.
    Absolutely ridiculous "Judicial Activist" logic at its worst. How on Earth does it count as "unreasonable search and seizure" to require that those who receive federal aid for poverty not be under the influence of substances that might adversely affect their judgement and ability to wisely spend the funds they receive? The Government is under absolutely no constitutional obligation to provide financial aid to the poor in the first place.

    It is a voluntary program that participants sign on to in exchange for handouts. As far as I'm concerned, the state should have the "right" to refuse service to whomever it damn well pleases, because the recipients have no real "right" to the handouts the state provides.

    As a matter of fact, it more or less already does. There is a reason why one must be under a certain income level to even be eligible for welfare in the first place, after all.

    I could never be a lawyer. Bull**** semantics and sophistry have a tendency to simply piss me off.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-28-13 at 05:24 PM.

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    We either believe in innocent until proven guilty, or we don't. Period. No exceptions for public or private.

    If we're not going to live by it, we need to quit jaw-jackin' as if we do.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by zhak View Post
    Most every reputable company I know has this drug test before they even employ you anymore, why Not welfare recipients, IF they have nothing to hide, I'm jus sayin
    It is isn’t the same. Those are private companies that YOU want to work for.

    The government, however, works for US. We pay into the welfare system through our taxes. Many people who end up on welfare have paid into welfare through income and sales taxes in the past. And they will be paying back into it again in the future when they are working again.

    If I have been paying into a country or state’s welfare system and then I fall on hard times and am forced to draw money out of that system, damn it, I shouldn’t have to piss in a cup like some felon on probation.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    I disagree with the decision. If you can afford to buy drugs, then you should not be getting welfare or your welfare money should not be used on drugs, either way. If you do not want to pee in the cup, don't apply for welfare. There is your freedom of choice.

  10. #30
    User DannyRux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    10-11-16 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    143

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Can someone tell me what rights are being violated when the tax-payer (the people providing assistance) are interested in what the recipient of said assistance is doing with the money?

    If a friend said: "Hey, can I borrow $500?", would you just split with the cash without being the wiser of what the money was for?
    Most self-described liberals and progressives aren't nearly as liberal or progressive as they believe themselves to be.

    The single greatest threat to liberty is the collective belief that government grants it.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •