Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 175 of 175

Thread: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    It is isnít the same. Those are private companies that YOU want to work for.

    The government, however, works for US. We pay into the welfare system through our taxes. Many people who end up on welfare have paid into welfare through income and sales taxes in the past. And they will be paying back into it again in the future when they are working again.

    If I have been paying into a country or stateís welfare system and then I fall on hard times and am forced to draw money out of that system, damn it, I shouldnít have to piss in a cup like some felon on probation.
    Except for the fact the ones who are drawing money from welfare aren't the ones who are paying the taxes.

  2. #172
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The best ones make you piss clear, and that will automatically get you in trouble, because the authorities know that, if there is NOTHING in your piss, not even the normal stuff, then you have used one of those products.
    The best ones keep your piss from becoming inconclusive.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    The best ones keep your piss from becoming inconclusive.
    They'd be hard pressed to find anything in my piss. I take prescribed diuretics.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And I agree with this decision. There is no evidence to suggest that, because somebody is poor, he or she is automatically a drug addict, anymore than, if someone were a banker, he or she is automatically a crook. But, seriously, the law was based on stereotyping, and I believe that SCOTUS will uphold the ruling.

    Article is here.
    I am glad the law was struck down.

    It was a piss poor law to start with.

  5. #175
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,556

    Re: Florida Welfare Drug Testing Law Gets No Reprieve From Appeals Court

    Quote Originally Posted by zhak View Post
    I disagree, the company I work with, has random drug tests, You take them, IF you wish to remain working there, I have No problem with this,
    However If I were doing drugs I would,
    If someone is drawing welfare, How hard is it to piss in a cup to prove you are drug free and get your check, Most every reputable company I know has this drug test before they even employ you anymore, why Not welfare recipients, IF they have nothing to hide, I'm jus sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Since they are receiving tax payer money, I have no issues with making sure it's not supporting a drug habit. Though several have posted how easy it is to clear the system of drugs, it still could detect those who do drugs that don't clear easy, and instead of leaving them on the street with the money to buy more, they can be put into a rehab or something of the like to help them get off the drugs and hopefully break the cycle that most likely put them in the position they are in.

    That I would be willing to pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    I'm not sure I see a problem with this law.

    I have the possibility of a whiz quiz in my job,

    and had to pass one before hire.

    If the people are supporting you then logic says the money needs to be used for sustinance.
    The issue is more of a financial one than anything. Piss tests are expensive, especially giving them to millions of people. And how do you do it, do you have a test just to get on welfare, which would save money, but would mean they only need to be clean to get on welfare, or do you have a test every month, which would be ridiculously expensive but would catch more?

    I'm willing to bet if you were to add up all of the costs for administering millions of piss tests monthly, it would be far, far more than the money saved by revoking checks to those who piss hot.

    Lastly, piss tests are horribly unreliable, and can give false positives as often as 5-10% of the time. Plus there are a lot of things that can give false positives, to include many anti-depressant medications like Wellbutrin.

    All in all, yeah, it'd be great to prevent people on welfare from doing drugs, but it's just not feasible.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 03-20-13 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •