Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 133

Thread: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It could have been carrying children on the way to school and that's why you don't fire at vehicles from a helicopter if you don't know what's in them. You ever tried to shoot a gun from a moving vehicle? Now picture that vehicle is 500 feet in the air and vibrating like you wouldn't believe. Pinpoint accurate, right?

    They were shooting at people.
    You have a point about the children thing. I always carried my kids to school in the back of my pickup under the cover while fleeing from the law. Doesn't everybody?

    There are lots of people that are capable of shooting from a moving helicopter and hitting the target. They worked well in Viet Nam, and there are a good many capable of shooting from either a prop driven airplane or a helicopter and killing game or shooting darts to immobilize critters. I would have no reason to believe that the LEO assigned to police helicopters were not among them

    For me, that is the one element of the story that doesn't make much sense. If you are trying to stop a fleeing pickup, why would you shoot at the bed?

    A

  2. #102
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Rear tires I would guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    You have a point about the children thing. I always carried my kids to school in the back of my pickup under the cover while fleeing from the law. Doesn't everybody?

    There are lots of people that are capable of shooting from a moving helicopter and hitting the target. They worked well in Viet Nam, and there are a good many capable of shooting from either a prop driven airplane or a helicopter and killing game or shooting darts to immobilize critters. I would have no reason to believe that the LEO assigned to police helicopters were not among them

    For me, that is the one element of the story that doesn't make much sense. If you are trying to stop a fleeing pickup, why would you shoot at the bed?

    A
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #103
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    How old fashioned. They could have used a drone to explode the vehicle thereby insuring there were no survivors and the medical cost associated with that.

    The elimination of due process has made enforcement much easier. Shoot first, ask questions later

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Texas?
    You could try. But that would only use up about 5% of our available ammunition. We can get more, now that we don't have to spend it on helicopter fuel.

    Most probably wouldn't like Texas anyways. Most come from socialist or neo-socialist countries and we ain't exactly the poster children for socialism, now are we? For example, our economy is actually doing ok.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    How old fashioned. They could have used a drone to explode the vehicle thereby insuring there were no survivors and the medical cost associated with that.

    The elimination of due process has made enforcement much easier. Shoot first, ask questions later
    Not really. The perps were offered their day in court with the police trying to stop the vehicle and the vehicle fleeing. Red light flashing, you pull over. You run, you lose.

    This story is from last October. It was originally reported as a pickup load of suspected illegals. Only the new Texas policy is recent news. I don't know what to make of the story, but the truckload of suspected illegal something had ample time to comply.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    So you're against President Obama's indescriminate murder of Americans and other nationals using drones. Good to hear.
    .... indiscriminate? Lol... it's not like the man is ordering the bombing of schools full of 10 year old girls.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #107
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters | The Raw Story

    Yup... Only in Texas... [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Since when can law enforcement ever shoot someone unless the LEO's life is in danger? Incredible.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #108
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    This was an ill-fated attempt of sarcasm on my part. However, the snideness of my remark is more related to the Patriot Act than to this specific case. Unless a violent crime has been committed, I am not very comfortable with law enforcement shooting people in the back, despite my disapproval of crime.

    My city's police department is notorious for poorly justified police shootings that are carefully blocked from examination and prosecution. I am not unsympathetic to the police but I prefer the justice system be applied in all cases other than imminent violence.



    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Not really. The perps were offered their day in court with the police trying to stop the vehicle and the vehicle fleeing. Red light flashing, you pull over. You run, you lose.

    This story is from last October. It was originally reported as a pickup load of suspected illegals. Only the new Texas policy is recent news. I don't know what to make of the story, but the truckload of suspected illegal something had ample time to comply.

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Since when can law enforcement ever shoot someone unless the LEO's life is in danger? Incredible.
    Protection of others and to prevent the escape of known dangerous persons.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #110
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Where there is no difference is in shooting indescriminately from the sky from a drone or from a helicopter - to suggest otherwise, is dishonest.
    ?

    in·dis·crim·i·nate

    1.Done at random or without careful judgment: "indiscriminate killing".
    2.(of a person) Not using or exercising discrimination.
    How does that fit?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •