Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    You mean like anti-gun nuts as usual starting a thread building straw men and relying on anecdotal evidence of a 2 year old finding his mother's gun? I'll look to see your message on that thread complaining of straw men and acnedotal evidence. I specifically juxtipositioned this thread to that one.

    Of course, "acendotal evidence" also can mean considering issues in the context of reality rather than slogans and ideologies.
    Yes, exactly like that. It's stupid and a piss poor method of attempted debate.

    Anecdotal evidence does not mean that, no.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Ah, one of my favorite females here, steeped in common sense and blessed good looks.

    The operative word is 'reasonable'.

    I am sure that there will be a crying sympathetic willy-nilly along to extol the virtues of the wayward dead criminal.
    Yep. He might have been looking for a puppy, mentally challenged or abused as young lad.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #23
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by straykatz View Post
    Are you asserting that for every lawful, intentional shooting that there is an accidental shooting? Care to back that assertion up?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #24
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, exactly like that. It's stupid and a piss poor method of attempted debate.

    Anecdotal evidence does not mean that, no.

    Not if you or a loved one is the victim in that anecdote. My signature line now takes the single example to the final total overall statistics.

  5. #25
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Obama uses anecdotals all the time, including on these gun issues. You believe he should stop mentioning any specific school shooting or anyone who was there as piss-poor presentation?

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Not if you or a loved one is the victim in that anecdote. My signature line now takes the single example to the final total overall statistics.
    And a single quote about a tragic accidental shooting counters your signature, which is why anecdotal evidence is piss poor debate. Mindless appeals to emotion are just that, mindless.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Obama uses anecdotals all the time, including on these gun issues. You believe he should stop mentioning any specific school shooting or anyone who was there as piss-poor presentation?
    Yes, when Obama does it, it does not make it good. Just because Johnny jumped off a bridge does not mean you should too. Logic, good thing to try.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Educator straykatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    752

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you asserting that for every lawful, intentional shooting that there is an accidental shooting? Care to back that assertion up?
    No...what I'm saying is for every story that supports gun activists there are stories that support those favoring gun control.....if you look on any given day you will find a story to support your side.

  8. #28
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Personal anecdotals by members own experiences are questionable as to truth, but also may reveal something about the member whether what s/he posts is true or not.

    What anecdotals do is give events of enourmous proportion something people can understand on an emotional level, and humans are as much if not more driven by emotion than logic. Emotions are not pointless nor necessarily inferior to logic. Probably the greatest (and worst) traits of humans are found in our emotionalisms - such as "love," compassion, charity, sympathy... and the negatives - hate, rage, etc - and since that is what we are and how we are motivated, addressing "emotions" is appropriate, particularly if the goal is persuasion.

    School children or adults can be told 6 millions Jews were killed in a holocaust in a war setting long before they were born, but that doesn't doesn't really register. A true anecdote such as the Diary of Ann Frank does. So does a few photos of starved concentration camp victims - death and survivors. When that is then also applied then to the raw overall numbers, the matter has been presented both emotionally and logically.

    Anecdotes serve their purpose if used correctly. Given the many, many accounts given of wrongful gun deaths by those opposing firearms, it is not only reasonable but even foolish not to tell the other side - including (but not limited to) counter anecdotal "evidence" - which is emotional evidence in the context of reality.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Sorry I can't accept the premise of this thread until it is peer reviewed.




    [/sarcasm]

    (note avatar)

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Young man in Texas protects parents from violent intruders

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Personal anecdotals by members own experiences are questionable as to truth, but also may reveal something about the member whether what s/he posts is true or not.

    What anecdotals do is give events of enourmous proportion something people can understand on an emotional level, and humans are as much if not more driven by emotion than logic. Emotions are not pointless nor necessarily inferior to logic. Probably the greatest (and worst) traits of humans are found in our emotionalisms - such as "love," compassion, charity, sympathy... and the negatives - hate, rage, etc - and since that is what we are and how we are motivated, addressing "emotions" is appropriate, particularly if the goal is persuasion.

    School children or adults can be told 6 millions Jews were killed in a holocaust in a war setting long before they were born, but that doesn't doesn't really register. A true anecdote such as the Diary of Ann Frank does. So does a few photos of starved concentration camp victims - death and survivors. When that is then also applied then to the raw overall numbers, the matter has been presented both emotionally and logically.

    Anecdotes serve their purpose if used correctly. Given the many, many accounts given of wrongful gun deaths by those opposing firearms, it is not only reasonable but even foolish not to tell the other side - including (but not limited to) counter anecdotal "evidence" - which is emotional evidence in the context of reality.
    Trying to justify why your anecdotal appeal to emotion is somehow special is painfully weak.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •