Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 405

Thread: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

  1. #321
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Only President Can Give ‘Cross-Border Authority’.....The Benghazi debacle boils down to a single key factor — the granting or withholding of “cross-border authority.” This opinion is informed by my experience as a Navy SEAL officer who took a NavSpecWar Detachment to Beirut. Once the alarm is sent – in this case, from the consulate in Benghazi — dozens of HQs are notified and are in the planning loop in real time, including AFRICOM and EURCOM, both located in Germany. Without waiting for specific orders from Washington, they begin planning and executing rescue operations, including moving personnel, ships, and aircraft forward toward the location of the crisis. However, there is one thing they can’t do without explicit orders from the president: cross an international border on a hostile mission. That is the clear “red line” in this type of a crisis situation.
    Lets examine the Benghazi timeline of events:

    9:42PM: Consulate comes under attack. Consulate staff made urgent phone calls the the JSOC unit in Tripoli and the Diplomatic Security Command Center in Washington. Attempts to reach the Deputy Chief of Mission in Tripoli failed twice because he ignored the calls but finally answered on the third attempt. The Regional Security Office staff place urgent call to the Global Response Staff at the CIA Annex in Benghazi just one mile away and another call to the embassy in Tripoli.

    10:05PM: The Global Response Staff at the CIA Annex in Benghazi conclude their debate on whether or not to provide assistance. They head for the consulate and the JSOC unit in Tripoli, accompanied by a second CIA element, make their way to Benghazi.

    10:30PM: Defense Secretary Leon Pannetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey are notified of the attack.

    11:00PM: The President is notified. A drone is ordered to fly over Benghazi to determine precisely what is happening and the size and scope of the attacking force.

    11:10PM: The drone arrives and begins transmitting a video feed. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton contacts CIA Director David Petraeus to coordinate.

    11:30PM: The attack on the consulate is over and Ambassador Stevens is dead. The GRS unit from the CIA annex down the road has rescued the survivors and makes its way back to the CIA annex under heavy fire.

    11:50PM: The CIA element arrives at the annex in Benghazi.

    12:00AM: Marine anti-terrorist teams in Spain are ordered to deploy to Tripoli and Benghazi. JSOC units in Croatia and the United States are ordered to deploy to a staging base in southern Italy.

    1:30AM: The JSOC unit and CIA element from Tripoli finally arrive in Benghazi.

    5:15AM: The CIA annex in Benghazi comes under attack.

    6:05AM: Aircraft in Germany are ordered to prepare for deployment to evacuate the CIA Annex in Benghazi.

    7:40AM: Evacuations begin and take place for the next 12 hours.

    7:57PM: The JSOC unit from Croatia finally arrives in Italy.

    8:56PM: One of the Marine anti-terrorist teams from Spain finally arrives in Tripoli.

    9:28PM: The JSOC unit from the United States finally arrives in Italy.


    Looks like your cross border authority was granted. Obviously our military suffers from serious logistical issues among other things. (surprise) The kinds of questions people should really be asking are things like: Why did it take the Marines 21 hours to move from Spain to Libya after they'd been given orders to do so? The few. The proud. The agonizingly slow?
    Last edited by Napoleon; 02-23-13 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So whoever is critical of Liberals is a Nazi?

    More leftist rubbish.
    How about this: stop talking in terms of being "stabbed in the back" or "betrayed by friends at home"

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    How about this: stop talking in terms of being "stabbed in the back" or "betrayed by friends at home"
    I never said any of that. What is it with you guys???

    But, while American men were fighting and dying in Vietnam, is that not the truth? You can debate it if you want.

  4. #324
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    So? The war hawks didn't shrivel up and die after the end of Vietnam. They got tired of Carter's passive ways and found a new schmuck they could manipulate in Reagan.


    The NeoCons. All the people at AEI and Heritage and Irving and Bill Kristol, Jean Kirkpatric, James Woolsey, Richard Perle, Scooter Libbey, Frank Gaffney, Michael Ledeen, Lynn Cheney, Robert Kagan, Max Boot, John R. Bolton, Elliot Abrams, Randy Scheunemann, Paul Wolfowitz, Norman Podhoretz, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Daniel Bell, Robert Kaplan, Niall Ferguson, Charles Krauthammer, David Frum, .....

    Neoconservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    "...So why did we invade Iraq? I believe it was the triumph of the so-called neo-conservative ideology, as well as Bush administration arrogance and incompetence that took America into this war of choice. . . . They obviously made a convincing case to a president with very limited national security and foreign policy experience, who keenly felt the burden of leading the nation in the wake of the deadliest terrorist attack ever on American soil." - Senator Chuck Hagel

    Vietnam was ended by protests from both sides. "Hell no, we won't go."
    Oh, my word. This became a mess. When discussing who did what and when, always be careful with who you include in any myriad of intellectual and political developments. Some of those individuals had incredibly limited roles in government at the time, some had no roles at all, and others would be mystified at being connected with the others.

    Lynne Cheney is problematic (as is her husband) as she was a long-time conservative, had little of the Jackson crowd's precarious political position problem, and so forth. However, she was allied with much of the academic/intellectual wing of neoconservatism, as this could be found in the academic culture war episodes of the late 1980s through the mid-1990s. I'm amused that you want to include Moynihan in that group, considering his views on Reagan's administration and his lack of interest in many operations and his death just around the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom (without much public comment, except in private to criticize the administration's war intervention in Iraq)...or Daniel Bell, considering...well, everything. I mean, good God. You put Bell with Michael Ledeen or Abrams?

    You just read something about neoconservatism, posted it all and went on a rant again without thinking carefully, huh?

    The original liberals of the Democrat Party during the 1940's, 50's, 60's were anti Communist. And the neo-cons just like most liberals support nation building while most conservatives don't support nation building. Conservatives have always been some what isolationist. America NUMBER ONE. Nationalism. Where as the neoconservative had no problem using our military for nation building.

    The neoconservative movement in America was born when the fringe of the radical left (internationalist socialist) gained control of the Democrat Party. By 1976 they controlled the Democrat Party. Even Jimmy Carter couldn't deal with his own political Party.


    First off, many of the first generation of foreign policy neoconservatives were not favoring nation-building or the belief that we needed to promote democracy. There's a giant qualitative difference between the initial Scoop Jackson Democrat crowd and the subsequent Neo-Reaganite concept.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 02-23-13 at 06:03 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If nothing else, those on the right are predictable. Someone beats you twice, set fire to them in a witch hunt.
    Course those 2 Committees finding Gross negligence tends to put a wrinkle into that scenario. Also is the down play of what took place in Egypt and then those 23 Muslim Countries that Rose up due to Social media and an Alleged Holy-man making the call.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Looks like your cross border authority was granted. Obviously our military suffers from serious logistical issues among other things. (surprise) The kinds of questions people should really be asking are things like: Why did it take the Marines 21 hours to move from Spain to Libya after they'd been given orders to do so? The few. The proud. The agonizingly slow?
    Since the U.S. Navy is the Marine Corps taxi service, where was the Navy ? Where were the carriers ? Where was the Gator Navy with it's amphibious ships with a SOP capable Marine Expeditionary Unit on board ?

    Why were the last eleven Presidents competent enough to always see that there was always a carrier and a battalion of Marines deployed in the Mediterranean ?

    Barack Obama is suppose to be the Commander and Chief isn't he ?

    I think Obama has his priorities mixed up, instead of gays in the military, gender friendly heads, dumbing down the officers corps in the name of diversity and wanting to put girls on the front lines in combat units, he should be more concerned about all of those carriers that are tied up to the wharfs that can't deploy because the lack of funding.

  7. #327
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Since the U.S. Navy is the Marine Corps taxi service, where was the Navy ? Where were the carriers ? Where was the Gator Navy with it's amphibious ships with a SOP capable Marine Expeditionary Unit on board ?

    Why were the last eleven Presidents competent enough to always see that there was always a carrier and a battalion of Marines deployed in the Mediterranean ?

    Barack Obama is suppose to be the Commander and Chief isn't he ?

    I think Obama has his priorities mixed up, instead of gays in the military, gende

    r friendly heads, dumbing down the officers corps in the name of diversity and wanting to put girls on the front lines in combat units, he should be more concerned about all of those carriers that are tied up to the wharfs that can't deploy because the lack of funding.
    There were no ships of the gator navy around, no wasp assault ships or anything of the sort. We are not gifted with thousands of eyes like the Greek monster argus.

  8. #328
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I think Obama has his priorities mixed up, instead of gays in the military, gender friendly heads, dumbing down the officers corps in the name of diversity and wanting to put girls on the front lines in combat units, he should be more concerned about all of those carriers that are tied up to the wharfs that can't deploy because the lack of funding.
    Are you claiming that the United States Sixth Fleet was not in the Mediterranean?

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Oh, I think planting his ass in the Situation Room would've been a mighty fine start. Great photo op too.

    President Obama doesn't appear to have done anything. Secretary of State Clinton appears to have done nothing. Whatever the right thing to have done is, they didn't do it.

    If State is so big and complicated that what the Ambassador was saying months before was "lost," then somebody wasn't doing her job. Libya requires attention.

    Report: Ambassador Stevens Said He Was on an Al-Qaeda Hit List - Yahoo! News

    At best, in my opinion, this is, at the least, gross incompetence and a craven attempt to cover it up because of the upcoming election. And because he's been mentioned earlier in this thread and referred to as a "doddering old man," I think a President McCain would have been hands-on and upfront with the American people.
    Here is where the CIA comes into the play.....

    WASHINGTON -- CIA security officers went to the aid of State Department staff less than 25 minutes after they got the first call for help during the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, U.S. intelligence officials said Thursday, as they laid out a detailed timeline of the CIA's immediate response to the attack from its annex less than a mile from the diplomatic mission.

    The timeline was offered just days before the presidential election in a clear effort to refute recent news reports that said the CIA told its personnel to "stand down" rather than go to the consulate to help repel the attackers. Fox News reported that when CIA officers at the annex called higher-ups to tell them the consulate was under fire, they were twice told to "stand down." The CIA publicly denied the report.

    The intelligence officials told reporters Thursday that when the CIA annex received a call about the assault, about half a dozen members of a CIA security team tried to get heavy weapons and other assistance from the Libyans. But when the Libyans failed to respond, the security team, which routinely carries small arms, went ahead with the rescue attempt. The officials said that at no point was the team told to wait.

    Instead, they said the often outmanned and outgunned team members made all the key decisions on the ground, with no second-guessing from senior officials monitoring the situation from afar.

    The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to provide intelligence information publicly.
    The Associated Press has reported that the CIA station chief in Tripoli and a State Department official sent word to Washington during the attack citing eyewitnesses as saying it was not a film protest, but the planned work of armed militants.

    The officials' description Thursday of the attack provided details about a second CIA security team in Tripoli that quickly chartered a plane and flew to Benghazi, but got stuck at the airport. By then, however, the first team had gotten the State Department staff out of the consulate and back to the CIA base at the nearby annex.
    According to the detailed timeline senior officials laid out Thursday, the first call to the CIA base came in at about 9:40 p.m., and less than 25 minutes later about the team headed to the consulate. En route they tried to get additional assistance, including some heavier weapons, but were unable to get much aid from the Libyan militias.

    The team finally got to the consulate, which was engulfed in heavy diesel smoke and flames, and they went in to get the consulate staff out. By 11:30 p.m. all of the U.S. personnel - except Stevens - left and drove back to the annex, with some taking fire from militants along the way.

    The Foreign Policy article said some of the documents are clearly marked as State Department correspondence. Others are unsigned printouts of messages to local and national Libyan authorities. The article said two unsigned draft letters are both dated Sept. 11 and express strong fears about the security situation at the compound.

    "Finally, early this morning at 0643, September 11, 2012, one of our diligent guards made a troubling report," said one of the documents quoted in the story and addressed to Mohamed Obeidi, the head of the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs office in Benghazi. "Near our main gate, a member of the police force was seen in the upper level of a building across from our compound. It is reported that this person was photographing the inside of the U.S. special mission and furthermore that this person was part of the police unit sent to protect the mission. The police car stationed where this event occurred was number 322.".....snip~

    http://www.stripes.com/news/libya-co...r-way-1.195596

    Well and the fact that Obama's Narrative all up until that time was that AQ was decimated. But you are Correct.....if his focus wouldn't have been on his personal Election he might have had more time to give to more important matters that pertained to the Country.

  10. #330
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: McCain claims ‘massive cover-up’ on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Here is where the CIA comes into the play.....

    WASHINGTON -- CIA security officers went to the aid of State Department staff less than 25 minutes after they got the first call for help during the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, U.S. intelligence officials said Thursday, as they laid out a detailed timeline of the CIA's immediate response to the attack from its annex less than a mile from the diplomatic mission.

    The timeline was offered just days before the presidential election in a clear effort to refute recent news reports that said the CIA told its personnel to "stand down" rather than go to the consulate to help repel the attackers. Fox News reported that when CIA officers at the annex called higher-ups to tell them the consulate was under fire, they were twice told to "stand down." The CIA publicly denied the report.

    The intelligence officials told reporters Thursday that when the CIA annex received a call about the assault, about half a dozen members of a CIA security team tried to get heavy weapons and other assistance from the Libyans. But when the Libyans failed to respond, the security team, which routinely carries small arms, went ahead with the rescue attempt. The officials said that at no point was the team told to wait.

    Instead, they said the often outmanned and outgunned team members made all the key decisions on the ground, with no second-guessing from senior officials monitoring the situation from afar.

    The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to provide intelligence information publicly.
    The Associated Press has reported that the CIA station chief in Tripoli and a State Department official sent word to Washington during the attack citing eyewitnesses as saying it was not a film protest, but the planned work of armed militants.

    The officials' description Thursday of the attack provided details about a second CIA security team in Tripoli that quickly chartered a plane and flew to Benghazi, but got stuck at the airport. By then, however, the first team had gotten the State Department staff out of the consulate and back to the CIA base at the nearby annex.
    According to the detailed timeline senior officials laid out Thursday, the first call to the CIA base came in at about 9:40 p.m., and less than 25 minutes later about the team headed to the consulate. En route they tried to get additional assistance, including some heavier weapons, but were unable to get much aid from the Libyan militias.

    The team finally got to the consulate, which was engulfed in heavy diesel smoke and flames, and they went in to get the consulate staff out. By 11:30 p.m. all of the U.S. personnel - except Stevens - left and drove back to the annex, with some taking fire from militants along the way.

    The Foreign Policy article said some of the documents are clearly marked as State Department correspondence. Others are unsigned printouts of messages to local and national Libyan authorities. The article said two unsigned draft letters are both dated Sept. 11 and express strong fears about the security situation at the compound.

    "Finally, early this morning at 0643, September 11, 2012, one of our diligent guards made a troubling report," said one of the documents quoted in the story and addressed to Mohamed Obeidi, the head of the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs office in Benghazi. "Near our main gate, a member of the police force was seen in the upper level of a building across from our compound. It is reported that this person was photographing the inside of the U.S. special mission and furthermore that this person was part of the police unit sent to protect the mission. The police car stationed where this event occurred was number 322.".....snip~

    http://www.stripes.com/news/libya-co...r-way-1.195596

    Well and the fact that Obama's Narrative all up until that time was that AQ was decimated. But you are Correct.....if his focus wouldn't have been on his personal Election he might have had more time to give to more important matters that pertained to the Country.
    What proof is there that confirms al qeada was the culprit and not one of the Libyan militias?

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •