Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78

Thread: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

  1. #61
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    I knew the non-Fox News version of this would eventually come out -

    "Wounded Warrior Project - Hi Joseda, We do gratefully accept donations from churches and religious groups, and always have.

    There has been a ton of confusion that started when a church group submitted an application to host a community fundraising event. We declined the event because it didn't meet the criteria that are applicable to all events- religious or otherwise. Much has been made of the specific wording in the letter, but it was a mistake that does not accurately describe our policies. Our staff members are human, and like all humans, we make mistakes. As soon as we discovered what had happened, we called the church to apologize and explain the miscommunication.

    The fact that people are suggesting that this was motivated by religious discrimination is incredibly sad, especially since it's causing people to lose sight of the most important issue- the veterans we serve.

    "https://www.facebook.com/wwpinc.fans?fref=ts&filter=2



    This should be a lesson to those that believe what they hear on Fox News without confirming it with other sources.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #62
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    If you were laid up in a hospital bed, receiving treatment from injuries sustained in combat, I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam would be paying the bill.
    Yep, and WWP would be helping me with trying to find a job, receiving psychiatric treatment, etc. Or, you can stick your head in the sand and believe "Uncle Sam" does a great job of caring for vets. Have you ever been to Walter Reed?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #63
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I knew the non-Fox News version of this would eventually come out -

    "Wounded Warrior Project - Hi Joseda, We do gratefully accept donations from churches and religious groups, and always have.

    There has been a ton of confusion that started when a church group submitted an application to host a community fundraising event. We declined the event because it didn't meet the criteria that are applicable to all events- religious or otherwise. Much has been made of the specific wording in the letter, but it was a mistake that does not accurately describe our policies. Our staff members are human, and like all humans, we make mistakes. As soon as we discovered what had happened, we called the church to apologize and explain the miscommunication.

    The fact that people are suggesting that this was motivated by religious discrimination is incredibly sad, especially since it's causing people to lose sight of the most important issue- the veterans we serve.

    "https://www.facebook.com/wwpinc.fans?fref=ts&filter=2



    This should be a lesson to those that believe what they hear on Fox News without confirming it with other sources.
    No, this should be a lesson to WWP that they need to proofread their correspondence before they send it out. Fox News reported what WWP said. They even showed a copy of the email on the story. You, on the other hand, chose to pick and choose what you wanted to out of the email you found and highlight it in order to prove your point. Which is exactly what you accused Fox of doing. Quote, from the original WWP email that started all of this "“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” Take a lesson from your own criticism bro.

    It's good the WWP owned their mistake and clarified their policies. Who knows why the original email came out and that doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just glad they ended that madness quickly.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    No, this should be a lesson to WWP that they need to proofread their correspondence before they send it out. Fox News reported what WWP said. They even showed a copy of the email on the story. You, on the other hand, chose to pick and choose what you wanted to out of the email you found and highlight it in order to prove your point. Which is exactly what you accused Fox of doing. Quote, from the original WWP email that started all of this "“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” Take a lesson from your own criticism bro.

    It's good the WWP owned their mistake and clarified their policies. Who knows why the original email came out and that doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just glad they ended that madness quickly.
    Real and honest news reporters would call them up to verify the facts.

    But we're not talking about real and honest news reporters. We're talking about FoxNews
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    No, this should be a lesson to WWP that they need to proofread their correspondence before they send it out. Fox News reported what WWP said. They even showed a copy of the email on the story. You, on the other hand, chose to pick and choose what you wanted to out of the email you found and highlight it in order to prove your point. Which is exactly what you accused Fox of doing. Quote, from the original WWP email that started all of this "“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” Take a lesson from your own criticism bro.

    It's good the WWP owned their mistake and clarified their policies. Who knows why the original email came out and that doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just glad they ended that madness quickly.

    I highlighted what I found just through my own online search, and what Fox News failed to when they ran this story which no other major news outlet ran.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #66
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I highlighted what I found just through my own online search, and what Fox News failed to when they ran this story which no other major news outlet ran.
    Yes, you found what WWP said AFTER THE FACT. Like I said, their original letter spoke for itself. It specifically stated that they would not accept donations from events religious in nature. What more is there to investigate? It was WWP's responsibility to clarify themselves, which they did. But to say Fox News reported something inaccurately is dishonest. They reported what the friggin email said, point blank. I won't sit here and say Fox is always right. They aren't. But in this case they were. And that bothers you due to your partisanship. Not because they are a news organization that you believe was wrong.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #67
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Yes, you found what WWP said AFTER THE FACT. Like I said, their original letter spoke for itself. It specifically stated that they would not accept donations from events religious in nature. What more is there to investigate? It was WWP's responsibility to clarify themselves, which they did. But to say Fox News reported something inaccurately is dishonest. They reported what the friggin email said, point blank. I won't sit here and say Fox is always right. They aren't. But in this case they were. And that bothers you due to your partisanship. Not because they are a news organization that you believe was wrong.

    What is partisan about not going off half cocked against the honor of an organization dedicated to improving the lives of wounded veterans?

    The Fox story implied it was the donation that was refused,
    Look at the headline of the news story you quoted. "Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church", when in fact it was co-participating in an event that was refused. A simple call to the Wounded Warriors administrator would have made that clear. Wouldn't that have been the least they should do to confirm before publishing a "news" story?



    And you are welcome for me providing the actual position of WWP on church donations!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #68
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Yep, and WWP would be helping me with trying to find a job, receiving psychiatric treatment, etc. Or, you can stick your head in the sand and believe "Uncle Sam" does a great job of caring for vets. Have you ever been to Walter Reed?
    Nope, and nobody will since it closed last year. I never had to use any programs to get a job, even with my problems, since there are a great deal of companies willing to hire veterans. One widely recognized charity that rakes in millions a year refusing a relatively small $50,000 donation because it conflicted with their standards is not going to hurt anyone. If anything, they should be commended for sticking to their principals. That's very rare these days.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #69
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    03-24-13 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    133

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Your insults are noted. Now back to the topic: Having their organization set up as a non-partisan organization also eliminates the possibility they would be associated with an Islamic Fundamentalists, just as it eliminates them from being associated with Christian Fundamentalists.

    I think the founding Veterans were very wise to structure the organization in a non-partisan manner.
    Unfortunately the way of the world these days, damned it you do, damned if you don't.

    I can just as easily see a headline stating "WWP takes money from (insert current boogie man here)" and it causing havoc for the charity.
    There is always someone looking to create drama where there shouldn't be. Shame on society for forcing them to take this position.

  10. #70
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    03-24-13 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    133

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Yep, and WWP would be helping me with trying to find a job, receiving psychiatric treatment, etc. Or, you can stick your head in the sand and believe "Uncle Sam" does a great job of caring for vets. Have you ever been to Walter Reed?
    Not Walter Reed, but the VA hospital downtown Chicago. The place would be a great movie set for horror genre films.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •