Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

  1. #21
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Do you have a copy of their charter handy?
    No, I don't, that's why I'm withholding judgment. How about you?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-03-13 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    7

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    While I get that a private charity has the right to accept or not accept money from whoever they want, I've never quite understood why a charity would turn down money unless it was earned illegally or something.

    Something similar to this happened a few years ago when Gary Gygax died. A bunch of people at a gaming convention donated some money to some charity in his name and the charity wouldn't accept it.

    I can understand it for some cases - if WBC offers me a donation for some charity of mine, I would be seriously concerned about being a charity perceived as being associated with WBC - that sort of association can really, really hurt a charity.

    This is an especially odd case though, my church has had a collection box in the lobby specifically for the Wounded Warrior project for as long as I can remember, we've raised a couple thousand dollars for them just from pocket change over the last few years, and they never seemed to mind those donations...

  3. #23
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yes, I read the entire article and no where does it mention if this would be in violation of their charter. Do you have knowledge of whether it is or not?
    That's the point of this entire thread. It is in violation of their charter and it shouldn't be. Helping wounded vets is the point of their charity and they refused what could have been $50,000 for a useless policy.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #24
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yeah right - and then the religious people freak the **** out whenever the government supports certain things by proxy with their tax dollars.

    Mmmhmm - no - it's not a one-way street.
    Big difference. Taxes are taken, this is a charity to help wounded vets. Nice attempt at a strawman though.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    That's the point of this entire thread. It is in violation of their charter and it shouldn't be. Helping wounded vets is the point of their charity and they refused what could have been $50,000 for a useless policy.

    If that is in their charter the administrators have no legal recourse but to follow it. I would have a problem with it if it were just an arbitrary decision by the administrators.

    I can understand the founding Veterans reasons for wanting the charity to be non-partisan. From what I can tell from my internet searches, this only appears to be an issue with the far right, many of whom are associated with fundamentalist churches like Liberty Baptist Academy.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #26
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The Wounded Warrior Project, citing a conflict with the fundraisers policies, refused what was potentially $50,000 in donations from the Liberty Baptist Church and Academy in Fort Pierce, Fla.
    "We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” read an email from the WWP community events team. “Please note your registration fee will be refunded within the next 7-10 business days.”

    This is friggin ridiculous. If I were laid up in a hospital and receiving treatment for losing both legs, for instance, I wouldn't care if the money came from a religious event. I would just be happy I'm receiving the treatment. Hopefully this church can find another charity that caters to a similar cause. Maybe The Fisher House or something like that. This is a sad display of political correctness IMO.

    Church Says Wounded Warrior Project Refused Their Money | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
    I guess they don't need money. "Thanks, but your dollars aren't welcome here," is a stupid move no matter how they couch it. Shame on 'em.

    Three years ago, I called my church and asked who to make a check out to in order to make food baskets available to congregation members who were having a tough time. I knew the church had a program -- I hadn't been to church in quite a while. Someone was going to call me back. The call back came later that day, "Maggie, if you're doing this to get publicity because you're a Realtor, you're not going to get any -- just so you know." What a #1 Asshat. I thanked her and hung up...sending my $200 to my village because they'd also put together a program for needies within the village.

    I repeat: What a #1 Asshat. I've never been back to the church.

    Is the Wounded Warriors group filled with Asshats? I'll reserve judgement, but I'm half-way there.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #27
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If that is in their charter the administrators have no legal recourse but to follow it. I would have a problem with it if it were just an arbitrary decision by the administrators.
    So as long as it is premeditated, it's okay. That makes sense........
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I can understand the founding Veterans reasons for wanting the charity to be non-partisan. From what I can tell from my internet searches, this only appears to be an issue with the far right, many of whom are associated with fundamentalist churches like Liberty Baptist Academy.
    Well, seeing as how they recently refused the donation from a fundamentalist church, I think that would make sense. Wouldn't you?
    Come on Catawba. You are arguing this point strictly for the fact that what you perceive to be a "right wing" organization gave money. If this were an Islamic group donating, you'd either A) Have no comment of B) Lament the WWP for not taking an opportunity to to bridge the gap between muslims and vets. This is a ridiculous argument. The WWP refused a potentially large donation to avoid any sort of "heat" from the media about being associated with a church, no matter the religion. That it is a Christian church is nothing but a happenstance. Their purpose is to help vets. That just made their job harder. Churches, regardless of the religion, are big money makers for charitites. Many of them may hesitate to give to WWP anymore simply for the fact that they will be refused.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #28
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    That's the point of this entire thread. It is in violation of their charter and it shouldn't be. Helping wounded vets is the point of their charity and they refused what could have been $50,000 for a useless policy.
    So if Al Queda donated 50K, they should take it?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #29
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    So as long as it is premeditated, it's okay. That makes sense........

    Well, seeing as how they recently refused the donation from a fundamentalist church, I think that would make sense. Wouldn't you?
    Come on Catawba. You are arguing this point strictly for the fact that what you perceive to be a "right wing" organization gave money. If this were an Islamic group donating, you'd either A) Have no comment of B) Lament the WWP for not taking an opportunity to to bridge the gap between muslims and vets. This is a ridiculous argument. The WWP refused a potentially large donation to avoid any sort of "heat" from the media about being associated with a church, no matter the religion. That it is a Christian church is nothing but a happenstance. Their purpose is to help vets. That just made their job harder. Churches, regardless of the religion, are big money makers for charitites. Many of them may hesitate to give to WWP anymore simply for the fact that they will be refused.

    Your insults are noted. Now back to the topic: Having their organization set up as a non-partisan organization also eliminates the possibility they would be associated with an Islamic Fundamentalists, just as it eliminates them from being associated with Christian Fundamentalists.

    I think the founding Veterans were very wise to structure the organization in a non-partisan manner.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #30
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Wounded Warrior Refuses Donation From Church

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So if Al Queda donated 50K, they should take it?
    Nice fallacy. Let's say for some reason Al'Queda (a known terrorist organization) wanted to donate 50k, they could not legally take it. It is against the law.

    Next fallacy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •