Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 260

Thread: Anonymous Threatens Massive WikiLeaks-Style Exposure, Announced On Hacked Gov Site

  1. #131
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Your examples are vastly different aims though. I'm talking about the difference between blackmailing politicians to make they vote in favour of the bill reducing the criminal penalty for leaking information and blackmailing politicians to vote against the same bill.

    If an organisation was identified doing the latter, I am certain the people currently celebrating Anonymous' actions would be (rightly) condemning that organisation as anti-democratic criminals who should be locked up. If they wouldn't, they're instead saying that in general terms it's just fine for criminals to circumvent the political process - blackmail, bribes and intimidation all become fair game. Either way, they're morally wrong.
    Just as the patriots who threw the tea overboard in the Boston tea party were labeled as criminals and treasonous, so are they. I can't recall any revolution in history that didn't involve going against the current government's will.

    Your argument that "if it's illegal, it's immoral" is insanely short-sighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #132
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Just as the patriots who threw the tea overboard in the Boston tea party were labeled as criminals and treasonous, so are they. I can't recall any revolution in history that didn't involve going against the current government's will.
    This isn't a revolution, it's a minor political disagreement.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Your argument that "if it's illegal, it's immoral" is insanely short-sighted.
    That isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that blackmailing politicians to corrupt the democratic process is immoral (regardless of whether it is illegal or not). I'm challenging the people who are defending the practice, especially if they're hypocritically defending it only when if favours their personal opinion or is to their benefit. This doesn't only apply to supporters of Anonymous.

  3. #133
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,891
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
    And thats what every Al-Quada and suicide bomber has ever said.
    Possibly. It's also possible that's what the Patriots said during the Revolutionary War, or what Stauffenberg said before trying to kill Hitler, or what the Hungarians said before trying to topple the Soviet control in their country.

    That's the whole dispute over this. The subjectivity of the word 'terrorist' and 'freedom fighter'. I'm not taking sides, just pointing out how different people are treating this.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  4. #134
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    You wouldn't have to ask if you had the read the OP link and read the thread before posting. You don't seem to know or understand very much about who or what you're trying to defend.
    Oh, I read it. I didn't come to the same conclusion however and was asking more about the usage of the term blackmail, but that would lead to more fruitless semantics.

    I'd also ask you to go to where I began in this thread, read forward, and explain to me where you've drawn this reaching conclusion. At this juncture however, the point would be, well,...... moot.

  5. #135
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And how much change will result from stealing credit card numbers, interfering with a government serving it's people, and posting flashing gifs on a message board for epileptics?
    I believe the purpose is to agitate and embarrass more than anything.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My point in fact is that they are common criminals working for their own profit.
    What profit are they working towards? There's no money in what they are doing (except maybe in media interviews). There is practically no individual fame since they are, well, anonymous. However, they are taking a huge risk on their careers and future by doing what they are doing.

    Sure, they're criminals in the eyes of the law. But are they working for some sort of profit? If they are, they need to find less risky work.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #137
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Btw, for anyone interested, there is a documentary about Anonymous that was released this past year. Haven't watched it yet but looks good.
    http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/...ktivists_2012/
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Civilians in that they are not governments nor soldiers. A bank or hospital is not a military target, it is a civilian target.
    If I was raging war on the US I would focus on civilian targets like those. It's really the only way to fight them. Just saying..

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    People in government get busted all the time for doing bad things....

    List of American federal politicians convicted of crimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    List of American state and local politicians convicted of crimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    ...it's the crooks in the financial sector that get off scot free.
    Yeah, and none of the reasons they were busted are for what we are talking about in here.

  10. #140
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,314

    Re: Constrictive Hacking!

    I'm always in favor of civil disobedience when the government is a known law breaker.

    I just wish Anonymous would go ahead and spill the beans, instead of all this blackmail and extortion.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •