Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They aren't protecting that data for your sake. It's worth money and they want to sell it.
    I don't see how that would change anything. Are they afraid the government is going to sell it?

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    I don't see how that would change anything. Are they afraid the government is going to sell it?
    Good point. The government having some of it wouldn't affect any marketable value.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Good point. The government having some of it wouldn't affect any marketable value.
    On the other hand, by looking like the great protector of data, users will probably trust Google with more information that they can then sell.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    I have never heard a convincing argument for treating e-mail differently than other types of mail. Users definitely have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they use e-mail.

  5. #15
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Google is totally in bed with the Federal government. ANY government agency can request Google to ban any product, ban any advertising and turn off listing any website either specific websites or all websites with certain search terms - and Google does so without any notice, warning or appeal.

  6. #16
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I have never heard a convincing argument for treating e-mail differently than other types of mail. Users definitely have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they use e-mail.
    I have not heard one, either. Just because a new way of doing something comes along does not mean the entire concept is different and thus inapplicable to existing protections.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #17
    I support ██ ███
    jasonxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    there are better options for email privacy out there. I'm consider those options as a secondary email.



  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have not heard one, either. Just because a new way of doing something comes along does not mean the entire concept is different and thus inapplicable to existing protections.
    Yet every time there is a new form of media or communications technology some elements in the government try to separate it from protected forms of communication. It took many court battles and until the 1950s before movies were considered worthy of first amendment protection by the Supreme Court. Broadcast television still doesn't have full first amendment protection.

  9. #19
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Google Tells Cops to Get Warrants for User E-Mail, Cloud Data | Threat Level | Wired.com


    It's nice to see Google taking a stand for their users privacy.
    Absolutely! This action raises Google's credibility very much, IMO. Finally, a major corporation/organization attempts to enforce constitutional principles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •