Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

  1. #1
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Cigarettes would be illegal in Oregon under proposed bill

    Cigarette smokers living in (or passing through) Oregon, beware. The state legislature is currently considering a bill that would make nicotine a Schedule III controlled substance, making it illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor's prescription. If the bill passes, anyone who violates its provisions would face up to a year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both.
    How far will these people go? Cigarettes illegal? Currently, you can posses and smoke marijuana in both Colorado and Washington State. Given the proximity to Washington State and the shared culture of that region, I find it incredibly ironic that soon pot smokers may have nothing to fear while cigarette smokers would have to hide in the shadows.

    Being a non-smoker, it would never affect me but I can tell you that if this law passes I will be boycotting all things Oregon!

    ****ing fascists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  2. #2
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Right now, in my state and a number of others, you need a Dr. prescription for "medical marijuana". So, there are a number of Doctors who are making good money writing prescriptions for the license.

    If this bill passes (very doubtful) then there will be Nicotine Doctors who will writer already addicted smokers what they need to keep buying cigarettes. This will probably end access to cigarettes for young people starting to smoke since it will be far more difficult and expensive to drive to another state or to pay black market rates or buy from licensed smokers.

    Micromanagement is the new future. Sorry, to some its dystopian and to other it utopian. The non-smokers will be thrilled, the smokers dismayed. Welcome to the 21st century. By the end of this century, every move you make will be regulated.

    I'm glad that I got to be here when there was still adventure and exploration. Now, the world is pretty much one rubber stamped operation and governments are ever increasingly empowered. I'll be dead before they finish the job and that works well for me. The new generation won't know anything else so it won't bother them too much.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Cigarettes would be illegal in Oregon under proposed bill



    How far will these people go? Cigarettes illegal? Currently, you can posses and smoke marijuana in both Colorado and Washington State. Given the proximity to Washington State and the shared culture of that region, I find it incredibly ironic that soon pot smokers may have nothing to fear while cigarette smokers would have to hide in the shadows.

    Being a non-smoker, it would never affect me but I can tell you that if this law passes I will be boycotting all things Oregon!

    ****ing fascists!

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    chances it will pass : zippitydoodah.

  4. #4
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,160

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    If it passes, I will personally travel to Oregon and light a cigarette. **** them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #5
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Right now, in my state and a number of others, you need a Dr. prescription for "medical marijuana". So, there are a number of Doctors who are making good money writing prescriptions for the license.

    If this bill passes (very doubtful) then there will be Nicotine Doctors who will writer already addicted smokers what they need to keep buying cigarettes. This will probably end access to cigarettes for young people starting to smoke since it will be far more difficult and expensive to drive to another state or to pay black market rates or buy from licensed smokers.
    I disagree.

    No doctor in their right mind would prescribe cigarettes to anybody. Can you imagine the legions of lawyers that would line up to sue doctors because they prescribed a know carcinogen? Sure, there would probably be a few quick buck artists out there that would try to cash in but the legitimate medical community would run from this assholes and elbows.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Micromanagement is the new future. Sorry, to some its dystopian and to other it utopian. The non-smokers will be thrilled, the smokers dismayed. Welcome to the 21st century. By the end of this century, every move you make will be regulated.
    What you sugar coat as "micromanagement" is really just fascism. I'm a non-smoker and I'm not thrilled AT ALL, in fact, I'm outraged and I'm also not afraid to call it what it is. You can give up and accept this bull**** if you like, that is your choice. I still believe that there are enough freedom loving people out there who recognize that people like the ones perusing this type of legislation are the real menace.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm glad that I got to be here when there was still adventure and exploration. Now, the world is pretty much one rubber stamped operation and governments are ever increasingly empowered. I'll be dead before they finish the job and that works well for me. The new generation won't know anything else so it won't bother them too much.
    I pray that you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  6. #6
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    chances it will pass : zippitydoodah.
    The fact that it is even under consideration ought to be enough to scare the hell out of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    I just wrote the facist fatass and told him to concentrate on his own lard butt and leave the rest of us alone. Of course this asshole is a democrat.


  8. #8
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    No doctor in their right mind would prescribe cigarettes to anybody. Can you imagine the legions of lawyers that would line up to sue doctors because they prescribed a know carcinogen? Sure, there would probably be a few quick buck artists out there that would try to cash in but the legitimate medical community would run from this assholes and elbows.
    •••If Doctors have lined up to prescribe marijuana (think of accidents caused by giddiness) and OxyContin (think addiction and overdoses) you will find Doctors that will acknowledge that you are a nicotine addict and will prescribe. So, disagree as much as you like.

    What you sugar coat as "micromanagement" is really just fascism. I'm a non-smoker and I'm not thrilled AT ALL, in fact, I'm outraged and I'm also not afraid to call it what it is. You can give up and accept this bull**** if you like, that is your choice. I still believe that there are enough freedom loving people out there who recognize that people like the ones perusing this type of legislation are the real menace.
    •••Well, pardon my sugarcoating of fascism. Like you don't already live in a fascist police state. I'm sure you'll be on the front lines during the revolution. Will it be televised?

    I pray that you are wrong.
    •••Pray that I am wrong about what? My impending death? That each generation grows up and accepts the new normal? I don't know your age but I bet there are things you consider "normal" that were unheard of when I was younger. Every year, thousands of new laws are created. Every year, Corporations make things consistent to the point of not knowing what city you are in.

    I'll pray together with you that I am wrong, hows that for cooperation? I'm as "outraged" as you are. I'm just trying to discuss this. I hope you didn't presume I was advocating.




    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I disagree.

    No doctor in their right mind would prescribe cigarettes to anybody. Can you imagine the legions of lawyers that would line up to sue doctors because they prescribed a know carcinogen? Sure, there would probably be a few quick buck artists out there that would try to cash in but the legitimate medical community would run from this assholes and elbows.


    What you sugar coat as "micromanagement" is really just fascism. I'm a non-smoker and I'm not thrilled AT ALL, in fact, I'm outraged and I'm also not afraid to call it what it is. You can give up and accept this bull**** if you like, that is your choice. I still believe that there are enough freedom loving people out there who recognize that people like the ones perusing this type of legislation are the real menace.


    I pray that you are wrong.

  9. #9
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    I'm all for not allowing smoking in public places (especially restaurants). I do not want to breath your nasty cancer stick fumes.

    However, I do not agree with a full prohibition because it doesn't work. Prohibition ends up being the cause of crime. You can smoke your cigarette...just do it on your own property away from folks that don't want to breath it in.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  10. #10
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    I'm all for not allowing smoking in public places (especially restaurants). I do not want to breath your nasty cancer stick fumes.

    However, I do not agree with a full prohibition because it doesn't work. Prohibition ends up being the cause of crime. You can smoke your cigarette...just do it on your own property away from folks that don't want to breath it in.
    All that is already the case here in all counties of Oregon (no smoking in public places). Has been for years. But let me just say, I don't want to smell your BO, nor do I want to smell your perfumes and tacky body sprays, are we going to disallow those in public places (the Oregon public venue would be vacant if we did)? Do we really mean to unleash the smell police?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •