Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

  1. #31
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I don't smoke, have never smoked, and never will smoke so laws like this have no direct effect on me but they have an indirect effect. They piss me off. They piss me off because of the condescending nature in which they are conceived. A group of people with way too much time on their hands sits around and thinks up things that will "make the world a better place" and they do this with the wholehearted belief that the rest of us are just too stupid to know what's best. We need their guidance and superior intellect because we can't be trusted to save ourselves. They see themselves as lords looking down from high places onto the masses of surfs who would be lost without them.

    And when this particular quest is complete because their are enough people out there that willingly hand over their god given freedoms in the name of "the greater good" you can bet that, at least some of them, will light up and enjoy the pleasure of a good smoke. A luxury now afforded only to the chosen few...
    So by your logic heroin,meth,cocaine and other hard drugs should be legal?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #32
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So by your logic heroin,meth,cocaine and other hard drugs should be legal?
    I think you've misread my logic.

    By my logic cigarettes, which have been legal for the entirety of mankind's existence, should not suddenly be taken away because you can't be trusted to make your own decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  3. #33
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I think you've misread my logic.

    By my logic cigarettes, which have been legal for the entirety of mankind's existence, should not suddenly be taken away because you can't be trusted to make your own decisions.
    I am sure many of those things have been legal for a long time. Cigarettes were not around for Man kind's entire existence.

    Cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #34
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I am sure many of those things have been legal for a long time. Cigarettes were not around for Man kind's entire existence.

    Cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But they have always been legal. My statement stands correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  5. #35
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    But they have always been legal. My statement stands correct.
    Your statement was " legal for the entirety of mankind's existence"cigarettes have not been around for the entirety of mankind's existence.

    You seem to not have a problem with cocaine,meth or some other hard drug being illegal, but yet you want to whine about someone making cigarettes illegal.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #36
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Your statement was " legal for the entirety of mankind's existence"cigarettes have not been around for the entirety of mankind's existence.

    You seem to not have a problem with cocaine,meth or some other hard drug being illegal, but yet you want to whine about someone making cigarettes illegal.
    Has there ever been a law that banned smoking cigarettes? No, there hasn't. The fact that they were introduced at some point long after the origin of man is irrelevant. They have always been legal... even before they were invented. But enough with semantics.

    We're not talking about coke, meth, heroin, or any other banned substance here. We're talking about cigarettes specifically and tobacco in general. A substance which has always been legal. If you want to take this off on some straw man tangent go right ahead. Just don't expect me to participate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Your statement was " legal for the entirety of mankind's existence"cigarettes have not been around for the entirety of mankind's existence.

    You seem to not have a problem with cocaine,meth or some other hard drug being illegal, but yet you want to whine about someone making cigarettes illegal.
    I have no problem with making cigarettes illegal. However, I have a problem with using the method of everyone stop on this day. Set a cut off date, say Jan 1 of next year. Everyone that can legally smoke now will continue to be legal, but anyone not of age at the cut off would never be legally allowed.

    Also, what are the harmful affects of nicotine, not cigarettes/smoking, but nicotine? The law, as posted attacks nicotine, not cigarettes specifically.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So by your logic heroin,meth,cocaine and other hard drugs should be legal?
    Why not exactly?

  9. #39
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I have no problem with making cigarettes illegal. However, I have a problem with using the method of everyone stop on this day. Set a cut off date, say Jan 1 of next year. Everyone that can legally smoke now will continue to be legal, but anyone not of age at the cut off would never be legally allowed.
    Don't these laws usually take awhile before being started? Besides that smokers are junkies,they are not going to quit.Look at the smokers in New York, its ten bucks or more a pack and people still smoke.

    Also, what are the harmful affects of nicotine, not cigarettes/smoking, but nicotine? The law, as posted attacks nicotine, not cigarettes specifically
    Then that should change.Smokers and other tobacco users should be encouraged to switch over to e-cigarettes,patches, gum or lozenges.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #40
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Oregon proposal would make smoking cigaretts illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Has there ever been a law that banned smoking cigarettes? No, there hasn't. The fact that they were introduced at some point long after the origin of man is irrelevant. They have always been legal... even before they were invented. But enough with semantics.

    We're not talking about coke, meth, heroin, or any other banned substance here. We're talking about cigarettes specifically and tobacco in general. A substance which has always been legal. If you want to take this off on some straw man tangent go right ahead. Just don't expect me to participate.
    The fact a substance has been legal for a long time is irrelevant.Coke, Meth,Heroin and other hard drugs were legal up until some point in our country.They were found extremely harmful and made illegal.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •