Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108

Thread: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

  1. #81
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    It's questionable that the kids actually wrote the letters, or wrote them of their own free will.
    probably NEA bots telling them to do so

    but what do you expect-these same kids probably wrote santa claus too and couldn't tell the difference

  2. #82
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The NRA makes the argument to reduce the protection of the elite because the masses won't be treated to as much, and put it in incredibly democratic terms, acting as if Bush or Obama are in any way in the same position as they are.
    That is inaccurate. The NRA makes the argument to increase the protection of the masses. Did you miss the whole kerfluffle where they suggested putting cops in schools, or training school staff to respond to an active shooter?

    It's ridiculous democratic trash.
    If that was an accurate depiction, I would argue that you would have a point. As you have wholly misinterpreted their argument, however, it is not.

  3. #83
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is inaccurate. The NRA makes the argument to increase the protection of the masses. Did you miss the whole kerfluffle where they suggested putting cops in schools, or training school staff to respond to an active shooter?



    If that was an accurate depiction, I would argue that you would have a point. As you have wholly misinterpreted their argument, however, it is not.
    I understood the whole problem. The issue is bringing up his and his family's security team, which is a wholly separate issue and should not be touched or argued to be diminished. The protection of the masses could have merits, but separate from implication of his own family. Hence why I say, unequivocally, yes, he and his children are of more value than your own. Maybe not to you, but to the operations and well-being of the State and the desires of his enemies, yes, they seem to matter just a tiny bit more.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #84
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I understood the whole problem. The issue is bringing up his and his family's security team, which is a wholly separate issue and should not be touched or argued to be diminished.
    No, it's not. It demonstrates that the man does not actually believe the argument he is making. If I were a popular market analyst, and I were to argue that the best place for your money was gold and encourage everyone to purchase it, right before selling it myself (taking advantage of the jump in price), I would not only be unethical (and probably liable to suit), I would be a hypocrite. The point they are making here is that Obama is a hypocrite. He tells us that he doesn't believe that trained, armed, first responders in school will make children safe.... but when it comes to his kids, trained, armed, first responders is precisely what he wants.

    But at least you have dropped the "they want to reduce the protection around the President" canard.

    The protection of the masses could have merits, but separate from implication of his own family. Hence why I say, unequivocally, yes, he and his children are of more value than your own. Maybe not to you, but to the operations and well-being of the State and the desires of his enemies, yes, they seem to matter just a tiny bit more.
    Which changes the fact that his powers and rights are derivative not one iota.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I understood the whole problem. The issue is bringing up his and his family's security team, which is a wholly separate issue and should not be touched or argued to be diminished. The protection of the masses could have merits, but separate from implication of his own family. Hence why I say, unequivocally, yes, he and his children are of more value than your own. Maybe not to you, but to the operations and well-being of the State and the desires of his enemies, yes, they seem to matter just a tiny bit more.
    His kids have protection for being his kids, but his kids school still has armed protection independent of who they are.

    An nobody's kids are more important than mine... why do you not want to offer good security for mine, which could one day be president?
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  6. #86
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, it's not. It demonstrates that the man does not actually believe the argument he is making.
    Let's be honest, CP. That's going to be applicable to a large majority of public policy decisions, whether or not someone is Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Conservative, Liberal, or whatever. His status makes him unique and conflicting with a great many things regular folks cannot do.

    If I were a popular market analyst, and I were to argue that the best place for your money was gold and encourage everyone to purchase it, right before selling it myself (taking advantage of the jump in price), I would not only be unethical (and probably liable to suit), I would be a hypocrite.
    But a popular market analyst isn't nearly universally seen as at the top of the human chain. A market analyst is a member of the career bourgeoisie.


    He tells us that he doesn't believe that trained, armed, first responders in school will make children safe.... but when it comes to his kids, trained, armed, first responders is precisely what he wants.
    His kids are high-value targets, ours are not. Furthermore, when you get into that office, you don't exactly have a whole lot of choice in the matter.

    But at least you have dropped the "they want to reduce the protection around the President" canard.
    And the "more than us" rhtetoric's implication should be ignored? If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for you? Come on. We both know it was a cheap political ploy, but let's at least face the music with what they are saying. Furthermore, it's just coincidence that a petition flying around almost exactly the same rhetoric should be ignored?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #87
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Let's be honest, CP. That's going to be applicable to a large majority of public policy decisions, whether or not someone is Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Conservative, Liberal, or whatever. His status makes him unique and conflicting with a great many things regular folks cannot do.
    I have and the NRA has no problem with them having armed protection at public expense. That is the baseless strawman that you brought in here, and it remains as false now as when you started.

    But a popular market analyst isn't nearly universally seen as at the top of the human chain. A market analyst is a member of the career bourgeoisie.
    So? The problem set under discussion here against all of our kids is the same - active armed aggressors. The President thinks that armed men will deal with the active shooters that target his children, but somehow magically the active shooters that may target our children are... well.... different.... and can only be stopped by.... a "Gun Free Zone" sign, perhaps.

    His kids are high-value targets, ours are not.
    No. His kids are high payoff targets. If you are going to talk relative vulnerability assessment to me, we're going to use the correct terminology.

    Furthermore, when you get into that office, you don't exactly have a whole lot of choice in the matter.
    Please cite for me a single instance of the NRA or any of the pro-second amendment advocates on this forum actually making the argument that the President and his family should be stripped of Secret Service Protection?

    And the "more than us" rhtetoric's implication should be ignored? If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for you? Come on. We both know it was a cheap political ploy, but let's at least face the music with what they are saying. Furthermore, it's just coincidence that a petition flying around almost exactly the same rhetoric should be ignored?
    I couldn't care less about the stupid petitions. I'll put that one right there with building the Death Star. And it's not a "more than us" issue (though that plays into it, we have the same right to protect our children as he does), it's a "lying to us" issue. The man claims that guns are not the answer to active shooters threatening children.... unless those children are his own in which case guns are certainly the answer because he is a parent and naturally wants them protected. Which indicates that his original argument presents a logic that he does not believe. If the presence of armed, trained, first responders actually increased the danger to children he would be trying to get those first responders away from his own.

    You are mistaking degree for type.



    But do you at least admit now that your original claim that the NRA was calling for the Secret Service detail protecting the President's Children to be reduced is incorrect?

  8. #88
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    900 Americans have died in gun violence in the 4 weeks since Newtown. How long till gun lovers see sense?
    Well, here's the deal. Where it is illegal for felons to own guns, they obtain them illegally, and yes, they obtain assault weapons too. While I am all for background checks, I cannot in any good conscience demand that honest citizens not to be able to obtain legally what criminals already obtain illegally.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #89
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,253

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    how many of those 900 were unarmed and unable to protect themselves?.... if i had to wager a guess, I would say.... 900.... you?
    I wouldn't make stupid guesses on something so serious as 30 deaths every day, day in day out from gun violence.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #90
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    Re: W.H. Releases Letters from Little Kids Pleading for Gun Control

    In addition to using them as props, Obama should have also gleefully told them about the multitrillion dollars in debt they are going to get stuck with, a dead economy, massive unemployment, completely abandoning inner city violence...and maybe shown a few vacation slide shows.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •