Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

  1. #1
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense



    This is the excuse that we'll get in this thread.
    "It's only a drop in the bucket compared to what Obama has done"


    conservatives, i thought you were all CUT, CUT, CUT!!!


    WASHINGTON -- House Republican leaders have signed on to spend up to $3 million to keep defending the Defense of Marriage Act in court, according to a copy of their newly revised legal contract obtained by The Huffington Post.
    House Republican leaders took over the legal defense of DOMA in the spring of 2011, when Attorney General Eric Holder announced the Obama administration would no longer defend it on the grounds that they found it unconstitutional. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders hired attorneys at the law firm Bancroft LLC to represent the House in court cases involving the federal ban on gay marriage -- all with taxpayer dollars.
    On Jan. 4, Rep. Candice Miller (R-Mich.), who chairs the House Administration Committee, signed a revised contract with Bancroft LLC that increases the spending cap to $3 million to allow Bancroft attorneys to keep defending DOMA in various court cases. The revised contract also bears the signatures of Bancroft partner Paul Clement and Kerry Kircher, general counsel for the House of Representatives.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    They should recognize that it violates states rights and support a repeal. Then again though I think wasting millions on pro-SSM campaigns is equally as foolish.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #3
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They should recognize that it violates states rights and support a repeal. Then again though I think wasting millions on pro-SSM campaigns is equally as foolish.
    So should slavery be a states right?
    Obama has not wasted any money on the pro-ssm side. In fact, he's removed $$$ for it by not supporting DOMA

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So should slavery be a states right?
    Obama has not wasted any money on the pro-ssm side. In fact, he's removed $$$ for it by not supporting DOMA
    Slavery =/= SSM. Please do not make such an illogical straw man comparison.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So should slavery be a states right?
    Obama has not wasted any money on the pro-ssm side. In fact, he's removed $$$ for it by not supporting DOMA
    So by not supporting DOMA he has taken money from SSM? Weird if that is true.

    It is a dumb law, but Congress has the right to defend itself before the Courts and to do so with public money.

  6. #6
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Slavery =/= SSM. Please do not make such an illogical straw man comparison.
    Alex, i'll take civil rights for $300

  7. #7
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    So by not supporting DOMA he has taken money from SSM? Weird if that is true.

    It is a dumb law, but Congress has the right to defend itself before the Courts and to do so with public money.
    Well, he's not spending money on the legal fees is what i mean.
    Obama administration will no longer defend DOMA - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

  8. #8
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Were are the fiscal conservatives?? I mean, $3million is such a waste, right?

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So should slavery be a states right?
    Obama has not wasted any money on the pro-ssm side. In fact, he's removed $$$ for it by not supporting DOMA
    The argument against DOMA revolves around states rights. It is the right of a state to decide who is married. The federal government should not, as DOMA does, say that it will not recognize certain marriages that the states perform. It is a separate issue as to whether specifically denying SSM is constitutional.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

    Even more evidence of how out of touch conservatives and Tea Party Occupied Congress is.

    They don't want to spend money on birth control, but they want to spend millions on denying gay people rights. Was there ever a more intellectual bankrupt ideology than modern conservatism.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •