Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 139

Thread: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

  1. #101
    Professor
    phoenyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    07-13-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,616
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Canada has some very strict gun regulations. How is that working out for you guys?
    Fine for now. As far as I know, the Canadian Government hasn't done things like what's mentioned in this post though:
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061346517

    So it's less of a concern. Also, I think our social safety net is much stronger then the U.S. social safety nets, which I believe means that less people are left to fall through into madness.

    To its credit, the conservative party here did recently destroy the long gun registry (small arms) at any rate. The downside is that long guns are pretty much the only weapon that almost all civilians are allowed to own. To be honest, I would love it if we could trust our governments to never use such registries to confiscate weapons, but history has taught us time and again that tyranical governments frequently do confiscate people's weapons right before becoming completely totalitarian and having a registry can almost be seen as someone posting a sign on people's backs labelled "grab my guns whenever you please, I've already told you I have some".

  2. #102
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Soooo...Good for the kid. I'm glad he was able to protect himself and his sister. I don't really know anything about guns so I'm not going to be able to say much more than that although I am a bit frustrated that gun control has become this whole big issue after the sandy hook shooting. Has anyone even asked why it happened or do we just jump to the conclusion that it's because guns are evil and they need to go?

    We should put this issue on the back-burner for a bit while we do a case study on the sandy hook shooting and other similar ones, find out what's really going on and then come up with a real and appropriate solution. Meanwhile congress can get back to the whole sequestration issue because I know people who might lose their jobs if that goes through and honestly it's a bit more important than people just randomly shooting their mouths off about an issue that they don't really know anything about because they (big generalization I know) don't ask the real questions they just magically come to their own conclusions.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  3. #103
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    One might ask why you would want to kill someone as opposed to stopping them from harming you and yours, but I'm fairly certain that you are not given to philosophy at any level...ahem. You seem to be the kind of person most gun owners want to avoid being associated with, if you are old enough to own a gun. Your attitude does not represent responsible gun ownership. I'm guessing you have little or likely no formal firearms training. Might I suggest you get some formal training?
    If you want to just wound someone that breaks into your house and threatens your family, that's your call. If you want to worry about that person coming back when they heal or get out of jail and taking revenge on your family, that's also your call. More power to you. Me, if you break into my house one of two things are gonna happen, I'm either gonna kill you or your gonna kill me. The next time you see a police officer or Sheriff ask them the best way to deal with an intruder, I'd be willing to bet that each and every one of them will tell you, " shoot for mass, Shoot to kill" I value my family too much to play John Wayne. But your free to do as you see fit.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  4. #104
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    Soooo...Good for the kid. I'm glad he was able to protect himself and his sister. I don't really know anything about guns so I'm not going to be able to say much more than that although I am a bit frustrated that gun control has become this whole big issue after the sandy hook shooting. Has anyone even asked why it happened or do we just jump to the conclusion that it's because guns are evil and they need to go?

    We should put this issue on the back-burner for a bit while we do a case study on the sandy hook shooting and other similar ones, find out what's really going on and then come up with a real and appropriate solution. Meanwhile congress can get back to the whole sequestration issue because I know people who might lose their jobs if that goes through and honestly it's a bit more important than people just randomly shooting their mouths off about an issue that they don't really know anything about because they (big generalization I know) don't ask the real questions they just magically come to their own conclusions.
    I think the biggest issue is the Mental Health issues in this country. If you look at these types of shootings all the perpetrators have all had Mental Health issues that were just ignored either by their Doctors or their families. This whole Gun issue is just a knee jerk reaction.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    He calls time out while he reloads.
    Well done. I missed it unti lthis comment, though.

  6. #106
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Not certain. Did any miss? Even if a bullet did miss, does that mean that the kid sholdn't be allwoed to defend himself from intruders just in case a bullet misses the target?
    I don't know if any stray bullets went flying or not and this kid did the right thing. It might have been the only gun he had available to use. However, one thing to keep in mind when choosing a fire arm to use for home defense is what happens if you miss, does the bullet go thru the wall into your neighbors house? that's why I choose a 12gauge 00buck shot gun. 99.99% of the time your gonna kill the intruder and its not very likely to go thru the wall.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I never said he did contemplate which weapon to pull and fire. All I'm saying is that there have been situations where multiple intruders have invaded a house and the people with a firearm defended themselves successfully. An AR-15 is not NEEDED.

    However, again, I'll state that I am not for ANY ban of assault weapons. I think the more armed people are, the better.
    The typical boogie man might well re-think his plan facing an AR15 instead of a 22 cal. I get what you are saying but ANY ban on citizens weaponry must be subjected to debate versus mass panic and propaganda like this filthy government is spitting out.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  8. #108
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,613

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    Soooo...Good for the kid. I'm glad he was able to protect himself and his sister. I don't really know anything about guns so I'm not going to be able to say much more than that although I am a bit frustrated that gun control has become this whole big issue after the sandy hook shooting. Has anyone even asked why it happened or do we just jump to the conclusion that it's because guns are evil and they need to go?

    We should put this issue on the back-burner for a bit while we do a case study on the sandy hook shooting and other similar ones, find out what's really going on and then come up with a real and appropriate solution. Meanwhile congress can get back to the whole sequestration issue because I know people who might lose their jobs if that goes through and honestly it's a bit more important than people just randomly shooting their mouths off about an issue that they don't really know anything about because they (big generalization I know) don't ask the real questions they just magically come to their own conclusions.
    Immediately following the Sandy Hook shooting there was a GREAT opportunity for a national dialogue on weapons security. That shooting occurred because the mother, KNOWING her son was unstable, left weapons in her home unsecured. THAT should have been discussed.

    I have a 900 pound gun safe in my sub basement (yes...thats a vault...below even my basement). All except two firearms are secured in that safe and of the two that arent, one is either on me or both are in locations, separate from but accessible to the ammunition in case of emergency. There are several pepper-foam canisters at different locations but that is non lethal defense and at worst, someone gets into them accidentally and they are just having a very bad day. I dont have kids in my home and when grandkids are over those weapons are secured as well. People dont HAVE to have gun safes, but they should have a means of keeping their WEAPONS safe. In a home were people are unstable, extra precautions should be made.

    That shooting could have been prevented had the mother of a mentally unstable 20 year old taken basic precautions. THAT conversation should have taken place but it never did because people were in such a huge rush to seize the opportunity to pass gun bans.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Heres what you do. You say "Damn I sure am glad that family owned an AR15 and trained their kids. I think the AR15 is a GREAT home defense weapon!"
    Handguns are by far the weapon of choice for self defense and those are the ones that SCOTUS mentioned in Heller. So if it's about self defense, an AR15 probably won't stand up to scrutiny as being the weapon of choice by the vast majority and will likely become more heavily regulated. Just sayin.

  10. #110
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,613

    Re: 15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Handguns are by far the weapon of choice for self defense and those are the ones that SCOTUS mentioned in Heller. So if it's about self defense, an AR15 probably won't stand up to scrutiny as being the weapon of choice by the vast majority and will likely become more heavily regulated. Just sayin.
    Personal self defense on the street...perhaps. There is a reason why SWAT teams dont train to enter and sweep homes and structures using pistolas. They use those same AR15s (or a tactical .308, or some other variant).

    Different strokes. Some prefer handguns (and then we can have the dialogue about the 'best' home defense caliber). Some prefer tactical shotguns. Some rifles.

    In combat scenarios the common saying is you use your handgun to fight your way to your rifle. In the cited scenario, young man handled himself more than admirably using a more than adequate weapon.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •