Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.....

    Welfare recipients took out cash at bars, liquor stores, X-rated video shops, hookah parlors and even strip clubs — where they presumably spent their taxpayer money on lap dances rather than diapers, a Post investigation found.



    A database of 200 million Electronic Benefit Transfer records from January 2011 to July 2012, obtained by The Post through a Freedom of Information request, showed welfare recipients using their EBT cards to make dozens of cash withdrawals at ATMs inside Hank’s Saloon in Brooklyn; the Blue Door Video porn shop in the East Village; The Anchor, a sleek SoHo lounge; the Patriot Saloon in TriBeCa; and Drinks Galore, a liquor distributor in The Bronx.

    The state Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA), which oversees the “cash assistance program,” even lists some of these welfare-ready ATMs on its Web site.

    Welfare recipients receive food stamps and cash assistance under the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Both benefits are accessed through an EBT card, but only cash assistance — meant for housing, utilities and household necessities — can be accessed at ATMs.

    A single-person household could receive a maximum $200 in monthly food stamps plus $158 in cash assistance. A family of four could get as much as $668 in food stamps and $433 in cash.

    The food-stamp program prohibits the purchase of booze, tobacco and lottery tickets with an EBT card. But with the cash-assistance program, users can blow money on strippers or a six-pack and to tap welfare dollars from liquor stores, casinos and adult-oriented establishments.

    The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act, signed by President Obama last February, requires states to prohibit sinful welfare spending by 2014. If they don’t, they’ll forfeit federal cash.

    A spokesman with the US Department of Health and Human Services said states make their own rules on EBT cards.

    Some states already limit where EBT cards can withdraw money.....snip~

    EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com

    Guess this goes with them Using Food Stamps and those that sell them for cash at twice the Amount in Food Stamps. Some of them stand Right outside Stores that are designed for the EBT and food stamps. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    If they are getting enough welfare money to spend it like this, then they are getting way too much.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Welfare recipients took out cash at bars, liquor stores, X-rated video shops, hookah parlors and even strip clubs — where they presumably spent their taxpayer money on lap dances rather than diapers, a Post investigation found.



    A database of 200 million Electronic Benefit Transfer records from January 2011 to July 2012, obtained by The Post through a Freedom of Information request, showed welfare recipients using their EBT cards to make dozens of cash withdrawals at ATMs inside Hank’s Saloon in Brooklyn; the Blue Door Video porn shop in the East Village; The Anchor, a sleek SoHo lounge; the Patriot Saloon in TriBeCa; and Drinks Galore, a liquor distributor in The Bronx.

    The state Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA), which oversees the “cash assistance program,” even lists some of these welfare-ready ATMs on its Web site.

    Welfare recipients receive food stamps and cash assistance under the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Both benefits are accessed through an EBT card, but only cash assistance — meant for housing, utilities and household necessities — can be accessed at ATMs.

    A single-person household could receive a maximum $200 in monthly food stamps plus $158 in cash assistance. A family of four could get as much as $668 in food stamps and $433 in cash.

    The food-stamp program prohibits the purchase of booze, tobacco and lottery tickets with an EBT card. But with the cash-assistance program, users can blow money on strippers or a six-pack and to tap welfare dollars from liquor stores, casinos and adult-oriented establishments.

    The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act, signed by President Obama last February, requires states to prohibit sinful welfare spending by 2014. If they don’t, they’ll forfeit federal cash.

    A spokesman with the US Department of Health and Human Services said states make their own rules on EBT cards.

    Some states already limit where EBT cards can withdraw money.....snip~

    EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com

    Guess this goes with them Using Food Stamps and those that sell them for cash at twice the Amount in Food Stamps. Some of them stand Right outside Stores that are designed for the EBT and food stamps. Thoughts?
    With electronic/digital records, people who use their cards at inappropriate places should lose their benefits for two months or so. But that isn't the real problem, as in where they're used. They're obviously being given to people who don't need them. We're so screwed up.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If they are getting enough welfare money to spend it like this, then they are getting way too much.
    They had a sting up by us not to long ago. Caught some of these Black Ministers going into stores and buying hundreds of dollars in meats alone. Driving brand new Cars, wearing Gold Watches and jewelry. Wives all decked out and whatnot. All on the Welfare Program. Plus they have a so called Church with like 10 followers. So they don't pay taxes. But sure do live high on the Hog and others misery.

  5. #5
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,295

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    The way I read that is that dozens of recipients, out of 200,000+, used ATMs located at strip clubs to get their cash benefits. Looks bad, I admit, but it does not guarantee that the same cash was spent at those establishments. Some probably was and that is wrong, but I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill. Show me how much Corporate Welfare was spent in these same circumstances and I will be more sympathetic. You know, tax deductible entertainment expenses.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If they are getting enough welfare money to spend it like this, then they are getting way too much.
    I echo that!
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The way I read that is that dozens of recipients, out of 200,000+, used ATMs located at strip clubs to get their cash benefits. Looks bad, I admit, but it does not guarantee that the same cash was spent at those establishments. Some probably was and that is wrong, but I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill. Show me how much Corporate Welfare was spent in these same circumstances and I will be more sympathetic. You know, tax deductible entertainment expenses.
    Another attempt to get off topic.

    "Corporate welfare" hasn't been discussed here enough?

  8. #8
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    If the government is going to spend money to help the poor it has two options. It can either regulate and micromanage the lives of recipients so that they only spend money what they "need," which is incredibly subjective and paternalistic or they could get a check. If a recipient chooses to spend the money of strippers or booze that's cool. They just shouldn't expect a dime when it comes to housing or food. Ultimately, this isn't a huge amount of money, and I think that people are making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Whatever rules you put up, people will get around them.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #9
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,295

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Another attempt to get off topic.

    "Corporate welfare" hasn't been discussed here enough?

    I actually addressed the topic thoughtfully. Do you have lumps in your underwear?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Welfare Recipients Take out Cash at Strip Clubs, Liquor Stores and X-rated Shops.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The way I read that is that dozens of recipients, out of 200,000+, used ATMs located at strip clubs to get their cash benefits. Looks bad, I admit, but it does not guarantee that the same cash was spent at those establishments. Some probably was and that is wrong, but I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill. Show me how much Corporate Welfare was spent in these same circumstances and I will be more sympathetic. You know, tax deductible entertainment expenses.
    The state Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA), which oversees the “cash assistance program,” even lists some of these welfare-ready ATMs on its Web site....snip~
    I don't know anything about Corporate Welfare.....But they do list some of those NY Establishments with ATMS.....huh?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •