Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Logic of House GOP intransigence

  1. #21
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,764

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    None of the replies bother to deal with the question posed in the OP - Do you think Republicans can claim a mandate because they control the House of Representatives even though the collective vote for Republicans was less than that for Democratic candidates?
    I think they can vote to reflect the constituency of the people that voted them into office. Im sorry that doesnt align with the OP ideas about how they should vote. Split government tends to be like that. shrug

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Can you make a rational argument as to the relevance of your comment to this thread's topic?
    Your comment in the OP tells me you are alluding to the tax issue. Of course a large portion of the populace wants to 'get those guys' who are filthy rich. Obviously you do as a socialist. Hence TD's response was, in fact, relevant. Can you provide a rational argument as to how increasing taxes on a targeted group of our society will have any real affect to our debt problem? Of course you can't because the math isn't there.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    WRONG! give the man a raspberry

    One might as well call Republicans - Republicants, as far too many of them do nothing more that regurgitate the 'cant' of the day.

    from the always reliable Wikipedia

    You say potato.

    Are there any other personal choices you would like to make for me?

    Word Nazi.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Im willing to bet there are more liberal democrats than there are conservative republicans. If you want to talk about polarization and all that smoke screen bs that liberals use when the GOP doesnt bend over and take the liberal agenda straight up their collective keister.
    Based on what exactly? 'Conservative' lean? It would be sad to think so few in the Republican camp could derail their own Speaker's bill. Not protecting the collective 4th POC from the liberal agenda but knocking down their own leader's Bill... one most everyone agrees will be done eventually.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    Your comment in the OP tells me you are alluding to the tax issue. Of course a large portion of the populace wants to 'get those guys' who are filthy rich. Obviously you do as a socialist. Hence TD's response was, in fact, relevant. Can you provide a rational argument as to how increasing taxes on a targeted group of our society will have any real affect to our debt problem? Of course you can't because the math isn't there.
    It is very easy to show how the tax cuts for the top earners have increased the debt, multiple studies have shown that the Bush tax cuts were responsible for at least $1.6T in reduced revenues (increases in the debt) from '01 to '11, over 25% of that due to the reductions on the top 2% of earners. Over $42B in reduced revenues from the top 2% for 2013. Pew and the CBO estimate that eliminating the tax cut for the top 2% will result in a loss of $1.1T in revenue over the next decade.

    We are talking about a paltry 4.6% MARGINAL tax increase on income over $250K upon a part of the population that has seen the largest increases in income. They won't feel it, it will have next to no negative effect on the economy.

    It is not entitlements that have caused the increases to debt (on the contrary, FICA has been a cash cow), it has been tax cuts, unfunded wars and the recession.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #26
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is very easy to show how the tax cuts for the top earners have increased the debt, multiple studies have shown that the Bush tax cuts were responsible for at least $1.6T in reduced revenues (increases in the debt) from '01 to '11, over 25% of that due to the reductions on the top 2% of earners. Over $42B in reduced revenues from the top 2% for 2013. Pew and the CBO estimate that eliminating the tax cut for the top 2% will result in a loss of $1.1T in revenue over the next decade.

    We are talking about a paltry 4.6% MARGINAL tax increase on income over $250K upon a part of the population that has seen the largest increases in income. They won't feel it, it will have next to no negative effect on the economy.

    It is not entitlements that have caused the increases to debt (on the contrary, FICA has been a cash cow), it has been tax cuts, unfunded wars and the recession.
    Are you kidding me?

    You act as if its the governments money to begin with & they're just letting us keep some of it. Obama added 1 trillion dollars to the baseline budget which has now been spent every year since he's been in office. The thought that tax cuts some how caused the problem is ridiculous. The tax increase O'marxist wants will only pay for his bloated government for 8 days, how does this solve anything except forcing employers to lay off more people & reduce or not give out raises? Doesnt matter though cause O'marxist wants the fiscal cliff to come anyway.

    So a 35% (with local & state around 50% in some states) Fed tax rate is not enough for you, what is.... maybe 75% like France? Hows that working for them as the upper class flees the country.

    Anti liberty Dem socialists.... keep your filthy money grabbing hands out of my pocket and earn it yourselves......

  7. #27
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    Are you kidding me?

    You act as if its the governments money to begin with & they're just letting us keep some of it. Obama added 1 trillion dollars to the baseline budget which has now been spent every year since he's been in office.
    No, he didn't, and the budget has seen very low levels of increases. The debt has increased, but again, that has been due primarily from decreases in revenues. You seem to have trouble with the differences between deficit, debt and budgets.


    The thought that tax cuts some how caused the problem is ridiculous.
    Simplistic response, it obviously was PART of the problem, along with unfunded wars, unfunded Medicare Rx changes, the RECESSION causing lowered REVENUES, try actually reading what I wrote.

    The tax increase O'marxist wants will only pay for his bloated government for 8 days, how does this solve anything except forcing employers to lay off more people & reduce or not give out raises? Doesnt matter though cause O'marxist wants the fiscal cliff to come anyway.
    Just more rhetoric ignoring multiple analysis showing that the marginal increase will have next to none economic impact.

    So a 35% (with local & state around 50% in some states)
    I'm not aware of ANY state tax rate of 50% on total or marginal income....you do understand MARGINAL rates...yes?


    Fed tax rate is not enough for you, what is.... maybe 75% like France? Hows that working for them as the upper class flees the country.
    Uh, we had rates like that in the past, but that was not the EFFECTIVE rate.....but here I am tossing more terms at you.....sorry.

    Anti liberty Dem socialists.... keep your filthy money grabbing hands out of my pocket and earn it yourselves......
    Uh...um.....you do realize that the return of the pre-2001 rates will effect all top 2% earners, not just earners who are GOP voters. Besides, something tells me you are not in that marginal bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,036

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    and why can House Republicans oppose measures that the majority of Americans support? The picture tells us why

    Attachment 67140077


    So Republicans can truthfully say they hold a majority of seats in the House of Representatives and therefore they must be doing something 'right' while at the same time, Democrats can point out that more Americans voted for Democratic Representatives than for Republicans in the 2012 elections.

    Republicans Can
    This country was not intended to be run by a tyrany of the majority. Republicans make up just as many voices in this country as do democrats, and they should have representation in public policy making. You know very well that Democrats would not have given up if they had lost. They would use whatever power they had to try and get their way.

  9. #29
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,764

    Re: Logic of House GOP intransigence

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, he didn't, and the budget has seen very low levels of increases. The debt has increased, but again, that has been due primarily from decreases in revenues. You seem to have trouble with the differences between deficit, debt and budgets.
    No actually he doesnt. When you add 800 billion to spending in one year then make a portion of those increases baseline its a big deal. Sure small cuts afterwards, but when you added upwards of 25% the first year, cutting by 2% the second year doesnt exactly mean much. Before I start to hear BOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH---remember who signed MORE increases after W left office. It was Obama, in fact, another 400Billion on top of the stimulus. Then they go oh look, we cut 60 billion. And you play it as a talking point, thinking perhaps we are as gullible as you are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •