Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

  1. #71
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And this is the point Bubba dodged. If your logic for the tax is that combustible engine operators pay their use fee in gas taxes therefore electric car users should be charged a use fee then it only stands to reason that every public transportation user should be hit with a user fee. And every bicycle rider. And every pedestrian. Of course...the electric car users ARE paying taxes for their electricity they use to charge their cars, but I guess that doesn't count. So...an added tax for EVERYONE would be appropriate, correct?
    Sure....there could be a tax everyone is charged equally for use of roads. Our current tax structure taxes individuals with vehicles and it's a consumption tax via gasoline. I have no idea what the point of arguing this is. If you have a different system you'd prefer wright your congressman. If you don't think electric car owners should pay for the maintaince of roads...wright your congressman.

    This article was grossly inaccurate since it made the tax as some kind of grab to take back federal or state rebates FOR THE PURCHASE of an electric car. The fact is if the future if highways full of electric cars then the maintaince of roads will be some yearly fee with individuals with a registered owned vehicle.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Would this be the same liberal crew that taxes our wages to support out of wedlock childbirth to HS dropouts as an investment in our future? The same logic that says taxation of income, based upon how that income was not spent, is Constitutional, could easily justify an alternate road use taxation scheme, not enirely based on the amount of motor fuel used. I share your "shock" at how moronic gov't logic is, but they will always justify their actions as "for the common good" no matter how little common sense is involved. Vote for morons, live with their decisions, that is the American way.
    Or the feds could spend $500 billion+/year meddling in Third World conflicts that don't affect US security. That's the GOP way.

  3. #73
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,574

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Or the feds could spend $500 billion+/year meddling in Third World conflicts that don't affect US security. That's the GOP way.
    Really? I seem to recall quite a few demorats voting for that "patriotic" war on terror action. Was Afghanistan not called the "good" war by Obama? I also see quite a few demorats enjoying the military spending being done in their state/district and voting for that as well. Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #74
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure....there could be a tax everyone is charged equally for use of roads. Our current tax structure taxes individuals with vehicles and it's a consumption tax via gasoline. I have no idea what the point of arguing this is. If you have a different system you'd prefer wright your congressman. If you don't think electric car owners should pay for the maintaince of roads...wright your congressman.

    This article was grossly inaccurate since it made the tax as some kind of grab to take back federal or state rebates FOR THE PURCHASE of an electric car. The fact is if the future if highways full of electric cars then the maintaince of roads will be some yearly fee with individuals with a registered owned vehicle.
    That's not how I read the article, I read it as first they were sold on overpriced product (which the government subsidized) and one of the selling points was much less gas and obvious savings...and now the government is going to step in to make sure they get their pound of flesh. Which...really...Im fine with...but using their logic every user that travels on the roads should be hit with the same tax.

    And no...the don't pay a gasoline user tax but they DO have to pay to charge their car. That isn't taxed?

    Its the way of the world. Tax em all...tax them often. Find every opening.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    actually, yours does not

    we do not incur a vehicle license fee based on mileage driven or hours on the road or based on the damage the vehicle perpetrates on the roadways. a flat rate is imposed. and relative to electric vehicles, that flat rate is approximately one-half what the vehicle owners would incur if they were driving gasoline/diesel autos
    So therefore it doesn't cover the cost of repair needed for the use of the vehicle. Yeah, that seems to support my argument.

  6. #76
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So therefore it doesn't cover the cost of repair needed for the use of the vehicle. Yeah, that seems to support my argument.
    so, now you are arguing that the tax is not high enough
    make up your mind, people!
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    The tax rebate was on the purchase of an electric car. The 100 dollar fee is a tax on driving that car on public roads. Those are two different things.
    As long as Government gets it's money you don't care

    If it lies, cheats, steals, you could care less.

    The fact of the matter is here in CA there is a 66 cent tax for every gallon of gas right now and guess what. The roads and bridges are falling apart. The roads and bridges are in disrepair. Traffic jams are the norm. Not the exception. Obama's "Stimulus" was supposed to fix all this stuff, but as is typical of Government, hardly any of the money went towards where it was promised to be set aside for. Politicians raid the funds and use that money to pay for other services, or Obama used the money to pay off his crony campaign bundlers. (Solyndra)

    Not to mention licensing and registration fees, as well as actual sales taxes on cars sold as well. You also pay taxes on the electricity that is used to power these vehicles. So there goes your strawman. Giving incentive with one hand. Taking it away with another.

  8. #78
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Since the government and taxpayers are hugely underwriting electric cars, there should be huge penalty taxes on them - more like $25,000 tax per car and then $2000 a year after for all the infrature government subsidizes for those oddities.

  9. #79
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Since the government and taxpayers are hugely underwriting electric cars, there should be huge penalty taxes on them - more like $25,000 tax per car and then $2000 a year after for all the infrature government subsidizes for those oddities.
    That would defeat the purpose of the subsidies.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #80
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So you believe that if you buy an electric car you no longer have an obligation to provide revenue to fund the roads you drive on?
    They should contribute to the roads, but the state should have diverted some of the money they collect from electricity rates since presumably the people using electric cars are using more electricity.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •