Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 87

Thread: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

  1. #51
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    + 1000 tax credit
    + 2000 non-payment of road taxes from the purchase of gasoline (10 years)
    - 1000 payment of road tax by electric vehicle over ten years
    + 2000 net financial advantage to electric car buyer


    those stupid fools who allowed themselves to get duped
    Attachment 67139949
    There are very few all electric cars out there.

    If they are charging this fee on hybrids as well, they are getting paid twice.
    Last edited by Mason66; 12-27-12 at 04:57 PM.

  2. #52
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well if your argument is they must pay for what they use nothing else really works unless you violate their privacy.
    Sure...a 100 dollar fee a year works. That's still less than the average motorist in Washington pays in gas taxes.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure...a 100 dollar fee a year works. That's still less than the average motorist in Washington pays in gas taxes.
    As I explained, you are using a usage argument which has to be based on not only what they are using but how often they are using it. It works on the same principle as doctor office visits. You could have one individual that is always wondering if someone is wrong with them and goes every other week and another that goes once a year while charging them both $100. Charging the former $100 and the later $100 for the entire year makes no sense as the usage of the services provided are different and therefore call for the charges of the individuals to be different for the year in total. If the former went lets say 30 times in the year and the later only went once that would mean the former got charged $100 while the later got charged $100 even if the former used the service 29 more times.

    Your argument makes no sense.

  4. #54
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As I explained, you are using a usage argument which has to be based on not only what they are using but how often they are using it. It works on the same principle as doctor office visits. You could have one individual that is always wondering if someone is wrong with them and goes every other week and another that goes once a year while charging them both $100. Charging the former $100 and the later $100 for the entire year makes no sense as the usage of the services provided are different and therefore call for the charges of the individuals to be different for the year in total. If the former went lets say 30 times in the year and the later only went once that would mean the former got charged $100 while the later got charged $100 even if the former used the service 29 more times.

    Your argument makes no sense.
    It makes perfect sense. To drive you need a road. For a road you need money. Therefore if you drive you should pay to maintain roads. The gasoline tax is an attempt to provide some fairness but the main goal is to make sure that we properly fund our road networks.

    Any driver has millions of miles of roads available to them. They pay for the privilage of using that extensive road network whenever they want to. If someone that drives 1/2 a mile decides they want to take a cross country trip tomorrow in their vehicle...well the roads are there and maintained for that trip.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Well apparently the state of Washington believes there is. If you drive on the roads of Washington then you are obligated to contribute in some way to their upkeep.
    By that logic, people who use public transportation should be charged a fee as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    By that logic, people who use public transportation should be charged a fee as well.
    They are charged a fee per use.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    They are charged a fee per use.
    Do they have to right a hundred dollar check?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Do they have to right a hundred dollar check?
    No...neither do individual that pay gasoline tax.

    If you pay gasoline tax or fee for service you're already paying a portion of the cost to maintain roads. If you aren't paying a fee for service or a gasoline tax you're driving on roads that you didn't help maintain.

    I don't see how the two are connected beyond the fact that they are both paying to matain roads.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #59
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    No...neither do individual that pay gasoline tax.

    If you pay gasoline tax or fee for service you're already paying a portion of the cost to maintain roads. If you aren't paying a fee for service or a gasoline tax you're driving on roads that you didn't help maintain.

    I don't see how the two are connected beyond the fact that they are both paying to matain roads.
    Well, the disconnect that I think you're having, is that it isn't right to encourage people to purchase a product, based on avoiding paying taxes, then turn around and slap them with a fee that they weren't aware of prior to the purchase.

    If a private company did something like this, you would be screaming for CEO heads on poles in front of the state house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #60
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, the disconnect that I think you're having, is that it isn't right to encourage people to purchase a product, based on avoiding paying taxes, then turn around and slap them with a fee that they weren't aware of prior to the purchase.

    If a private company did something like this, you would be screaming for CEO heads on poles in front of the state house.
    They are two different things. If someone had the misconception that they would not have to pay for roads they are SOL. The rebate was for the purchase of the car. They don't have to pay for gasoline. The idea that they don't have to pay taxes to maintain the roads they drive on is just ridiculous.

    I bought a hybrid because it made sense....less gas usage and they had the rebates. I'm glad I did even if they made me pay a fee for the less gas I used. I'm still well into the clear when gas prices rise.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •