Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87

Thread: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

  1. #41
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,590

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    The tax rebate was on the purchase of an electric car. The 100 dollar fee is a tax on driving that car on public roads. Those are two different things.
    Did the buyers know, going into it that were going to get slapped with a flat fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,590

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    until you show us a cite confirming the state told electric car buyers they would no longer incur their share of the costs of on-going road maintenance, i call bull **** that is 'what the state led people to believe'

    the dishonesty is yours, alleging the state to have expressed what it did not
    Show us where the state informed these people tjat they would be smacked with a fee in leau of paying sales taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #43
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did the buyers know, going into it that were going to get slapped with a flat fee?

    was the law on the books before or after they purchased their auto
    that will answer your question in each instance

    now, a question back at you:
    what does answering your question add to this discussion
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did the buyers know, going into it that were going to get slapped with a flat fee?
    No because this new incentive didn't exist at the time the tax credit did, and by the way no one is getting "slapped" yet as its not law yet.


  5. #45
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Show us where the state informed these people tjat they would be smacked with a fee in leau of paying sales taxes.
    OMG....can you turn this ant hill into any bigger a mole hill? Government takes money all the time, it raises taxes and assesses new fees all the time. This line of whining arguments of yours about this is just plain stupid and you're trying to make a partisan case out of the government taking more money. The government taking our money ain't partisan, it's par for the course. Quit being such a drama queen.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #46
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did the buyers know, going into it that were going to get slapped with a flat fee?
    So as more individuals switch to electric cars should those still using gas be taxed higher to make up for lost revenue? I'm all for that scenario. For some reason I see conservative moaning and complaining because it sounds just like version of a carbon tax. You seem to be making the argument that upkeep of the roads should be only levied for individuals that use gasoline? Or do you think gas taxes aren't about road maintaince? I'm so confused, in the rush by conservatives to make some kind of convuluted joke about liberals or electric cars you seem to be making an argument that absolved electric car owners of road maintance.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #47
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No such obligation exists to begin with.
    Well apparently the state of Washington believes there is. If you drive on the roads of Washington then you are obligated to contribute in some way to their upkeep.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Well apparently the state of Washington believes there is. If you drive on the roads of Washington then you are obligated to contribute in some way to their upkeep.
    Their argument has no bearing to the transaction being undertaken and the payment they feel should paid. It also is an extremely weak argument for a fee not adjusted for the actual use of the item in question. If they are not taking into account how much someone uses the roads than they are not trying to actually determine the amount of wear and tear a driver is having on the roads or even if they are on the roads to begin with. Therefore, the argument that it is going towards this wear and tear is entirely inaccurate as they have no idea what to even charge nor are they even trying to charge people to cover the damage. All it is doing assuming it goes to the roads at all is going in a pot that they have no idea if it will come out to cover any repair costs or not.

    All that really here is a fairness argument that says if you are using the roads you must pay and nothing really else. The only way a system of paying for the damages would work in this case is either charge them when they use the roads or charge them based on miles driven. The former people hate as it involves more tolls, while the later people hate as it is a violation of privacy. Flat fees are simply stupid and do nothing but appease people.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-27-12 at 04:51 PM.

  9. #49
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Their argument has no bearing to the transaction being undertaken and the payment they feel should paid. It also is an extremely weak argument for a fee not adjusted for the actual use of the item in question.
    That's generally the function of government...to provide goods and services that are not easily provided as fee for service. Sure we could turn US roads and interstates into toll booth hell. Thank God we don't.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Washington State Pushes Electric Cars, Then Taxes Owners

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    That's generally the function of government...to provide goods and services that are not easily provided as fee for service. Sure we could turn US roads and interstates into toll booth hell. Thank God we don't.
    Well if your argument is they must pay for what they use nothing else really works unless you violate their privacy.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •