Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    I don't know this if this is true or not, but there have been other candidates who have not wanted to run for President, but did so because of either party loyalty or a desire to abide by the people's edict. Horatio Seymour in 1868 absolutely did not want to be President and turned down the nomination in 1864 and tried again in '68.. George Washington, wasn't thrilled about running for a second term. William Taft wanted to be on SCOTUS, not the President. John Davis in 1924 wasn't overly thrilled nor was Adlai Stevenson in his first attempt.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #22
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    It raises no new questions I do not believe it.


    No one wanted to be president less than Mitt Romney, his son said in an interview out Sunday that raises new questions about the candidacy of the losing Republican nominee. In an interview with the Boston Globe examining what went wrong with the Romney campaign, his eldest son Tagg explains that his father had been a reluctant candidate from the start.



    Romney didn't want to run for president, son says - FRANCE 24
    If that story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it's one more reason to have elected Romney. His wife said earlier that he thought he could make a difference. Someone who doesn't really want all the attention, but thinks he can make a difference, is exactly the type of person who should be elected.

    Not that it matters now, anyway.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #23
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't know this if this is true or not, but there have been other candidates who have not wanted to run for President, but did so because of either party loyalty or a desire to abide by the people's edict. Horatio Seymour in 1868 absolutely did not want to be President and turned down the nomination in 1864 and tried again in '68.. George Washington, wasn't thrilled about running for a second term. William Taft wanted to be on SCOTUS, not the President. John Davis in 1924 wasn't overly thrilled nor was Adlai Stevenson in his first attempt.
    There have certainly been quite a few reluctant politicians over our history. One only has to look to the beginning when Washington refused any kind of kingship, iirc he only agreed to run as president because people convinced him his leadership was critical to the young nation. I don't think Romney was reluctant though, there was a push for him to be the 2012 nominee from the start and it seems to me his "lie low" behavior signaled a man trying not to make mistakes.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #24
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If that story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it's one more reason to have elected Romney. His wife said earlier that he thought he could make a difference. Someone who doesn't really want all the attention, but thinks he can make a difference, is exactly the type of person who should be elected.

    Not that it matters now, anyway.
    While I think Romney wanted the presidency I agree with your statement in full past that. We need politicians who want to serve properly, set policy beneficial for the people as a whole, and can't wait to pass the torch as quickly as possible. IMO those are the least likely to continue the path in D.C. as is.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't know this if this is true or not, but there have been other candidates who have not wanted to run for President, but did so because of either party loyalty or a desire to abide by the people's edict. Horatio Seymour in 1868 absolutely did not want to be President and turned down the nomination in 1864 and tried again in '68.. George Washington, wasn't thrilled about running for a second term. William Taft wanted to be on SCOTUS, not the President. John Davis in 1924 wasn't overly thrilled nor was Adlai Stevenson in his first attempt.
    While these people are good examples, I believe they stand out precisely because they are exceptions to the rule, not of the general rule itself.

    It should be noted that, of all those mentioned here, only two actually became President. And of those two, only one served well as President. In fact, Taft may not be a good example. The more I think about it, he was relatively ineffective as President, yet a very fine SCOTUS judge. Where was his heart? On the bench, that's where.

    It cannot be known for sure whether the rest would have been effective leaders in their own right, as they never attained the position.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    While these people are good examples, I believe they stand out precisely because they are exceptions to the rule, not of the general rule itself.

    It should be noted that, of all those mentioned here, only two actually became President. And of those two, only one served well as President. In fact, Taft may not be a good example. The more I think about it, he was relatively ineffective as President, yet a very fine SCOTUS judge. Where was his heart? On the bench, that's where.

    It cannot be known for sure whether the rest would have been effective leaders in their own right, as they never attained the position.
    I would agree with you... folks who are reluctant candidates are certainly the exception rather than the rule. Of the men that I mentioned, Only Washington and Taft became President... and only Washington was entirely successful. Taft wanted to be on the Supreme Court. Of the others, one can argue that Seymour would have made an excellent President, certainly in comparison to Grant, though Reconstruction would have been less severe; Stevenson too, with his experience as governor and his intelligence would probably have done well, though the Eisenhower years might have looked different. Davis would have been interesting as he would have been even LESS of an interventionist than Coolidge. Probably wouldn't have made any difference.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #27
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Responding before I read the rest of the thread.

    I read this a day or so ago. I will say that I do not believe it for one second.

    However, just for the sake of conversation, let's say it is true. Then I'm glad he lost. I believe it is pretty near impossible for a person to be a good leader if their heart is not in it.

    Best post in this thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •