Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

  1. #41
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Anyone else find it a bit funny that the OP and Muddy Creek are railing about evil FOX, evil Christians, etc, yet they're unbelievably quiet when it comes to their partie's problems?
    I don't believe they said evil, but I would say that I disagree with them both. That alone is not ground of disrespect towards anyone though.

    Please if you are so knowledgable in Democrats' and Liberals' failings why don't you infor us. If we disagree well let you know.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I don't believe they said evil, but I would say that I disagree with them both. That alone is not ground of disrespect towards anyone though.

    Please if you are so knowledgable in Democrats' and Liberals' failings why don't you infor us. If we disagree well let you know.
    They certainly didn't say evil, but I've known them long enough to understand their views on these issues. Based on my experience, they are quiet about their own partie's problems, while instead opting to elaborate on the problems of their political enemies. Furthermore, TDS is a Socialist, and though it says "Undisclosed," experience tells me Muddy Creek is a partisan atheist who has progressive tendencies.

    You seem rather new here. Hello.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    Besides that there is very little proof that video games actually desensitize the average child. Where as Fox News should be famous for their Misinformation. I know several youtube series dedicated to finding and identifying Fox new's bias and falsities. The best one (although no doubt you wont appreciate the name) is Liberalviewer.
    Wow...really? You realize that Fox News being "biased" or giving out misinformation is ENTIRELY seperate from Fox News being the cause or primary impetus for people purpotrating violent action...right?

    This is like me going, in terms of the video game debate, that there's lots of Youtube videos depicting violence in games and thus that somehow proves shootings are "what you get" (as the OP stated) for games being violent, even though I've provided no evidence that one leads to another.

    Youtube videos (a funny reference source to begin with) showing Fox bias doesn't condemn them one bit in terms of being culpable to any degree for the actions of this man or others. Rather, you'd need to show some actual evidence of Fox specifically having a direct impact on individuals who watch it to do violent things. I'll give you a hint....there's as much evidence of that as there is evidence that the violence, irresponsability, dispresct for authority, lack of consequences, and reckless behavior expoused by many video games Video Games being significantly related to school shootings as there is to Fox News being significantly related to violent actions by people who watch the station.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Wow...really? You realize that Fox News being "biased" or giving out misinformation is ENTIRELY seperate from Fox News being the cause or primary impetus for people purpotrating violent action...right?
    I would have to agree. Fox news really did not create the issues that are being associated with, they just cater to those sorts of people and tell them they are right. Fox does do a lot of reporting on an imaginary attempt to Islamify america, and they do make it seem like there is some sort of war with america being fought by a number of different places, but really they are just trying to please their viewers who already think those things. People who listen to fox don't want to hear the truth, they want to be isolated into their worldview and have it reinforced. fox merely allows them to live in an alternate reality where they are constantly under attack by anything different. All these things were around long before fox news was even a network, and long before cable even existed. If fox wasn't there they would be joining cults like the klan.

    now if you think it is not ethical to pander to these radicals for money and advertising revenue while reinforcing their distorted world view and riling them up that i could say is probably true, but they did not make them the way they are. Money is money, and this is the type of thing capitalism breeds. of course the same can be said for the reverse. if you look at the gay community they now are gaining a lot of momentum because many places realize there is money to be made with the gays. liberal media is not making people gay, it merely is pandering to their tastes and reinforcing their ideas that they are not sick and depraived people. You cannot kill off one side without endangering the other based on the moprals and bias of whoever becomes the judge and censor. Sometimes capitalism works out to be ethical.

  5. #45
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So your statement is suggeesting that anything an individual accused of a crime states motivated, caused, or inspired his action is 100% accurate, truthful, and honest?
    Obviously not, but this is not something that could be used as a substantial defense for his case so why else would he say it?
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  6. #46
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    They certainly didn't say evil, but I've known them long enough to understand their views on these issues. Based on my experience, they are quiet about their own partie's problems, while instead opting to elaborate on the problems of their political enemies. Furthermore, TDS is a Socialist, and though it says "Undisclosed," experience tells me Muddy Creek is a partisan atheist who has progressive tendencies.

    You seem rather new here. Hello.
    Thank you for the greeting, I've been on the forum for a decent amount of time I mostly "lurk" though.

    To be fair on the subject though how many of us or any human being acknowledge or even can identify our problems. Differences in philosophy, morals and values are expected to caue conflicts. Many of these problems are probably really just differences.

    Are there still definite problems in every person and party yes I'd agree to that. To judge someone purely because of their political affiliation is wrong however. TDS is a socialist and has every right to be. If we disagree with one another we don't mindlessly insult one another. We debate. We find accounts to verify our position and use rhetoric to convey our arguments. If you believe he's wrong show him why.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    Obviously not, but this is not something that could be used as a substantial defense for his case so why else would he say it?
    Neither is blaming video games and yet people routinely do it. Sometimes it's an individual trying to throw something out, ignorantly thinking it may take some heat off them or make themselves look better. Sometimes its on advice of a lawyer whose hoping to leverage it in some fashion. Amongst other potential answers. Again....your arguments are no less problematic in terms of Fox then when people make the same type of statements about other various forms of media. It seems like you don't buy it when people make these comments about other forms of media...but are swallowing it up when it's about a media type you dislike

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    People who listen to fox don't want to hear the truth, they want to be isolated into their worldview and have it reinforced. fox merely allows them to live in an alternate reality where they are constantly under attack by anything different. All these things were around long before fox news was even a network, and long before cable even existed. If fox wasn't there they would be joining cults like the klan.
    ....right. People who watch fox news would join the Klan if it didn't exist. This is sterling logic and clearly highlights the rational thought processes going on in this thread regarding the issue present in the OP and the analysis of Fox's responsibility and culpability in the situation.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ....right. People who watch fox news would join the Klan if it didn't exist. This is sterling logic and clearly highlights the rational thought processes going on in this thread regarding the issue present in the OP and the analysis of Fox's responsibility and culpability in the situation.
    Fox news is klan light. let us be honest here. i will agree that MSNBC is liberal central. They go to the other extreme, but fox is very xenophobic and they have their racist and sexist moments. They do it for a reason, because their listeners want to hear it. there may be a small bunch of easily misguided good people who get whipped up into the frenzy, but for the most part the people who get into it are already thinking that way. Fox just agrees with them. yes, a lot of those people are the same ones who say racial things. Don't lie to me, i am a white male. i have heard the closet racist stuff all my life. I have heard the off color jokes. I have seen those conversations that happen when the others are not around. you can lie to the black folks and the hispanics about it, but i know what gets said. I have seen the underlying racism. like some people i thought for a time it is really nothing. it is just blowing off steam. It doesn't actually effect anything.

    Then it hit me. I got discriminated against. No not because i am white, but because i am bisexual and transgendered. I wasn't out and in your face about it. if i never told anyone no one would ever know. I do the guy thing good. ****, i spent my weekends playing war with some of the roughest guys you will ever see. Anyway, it does end up making a difference. people do look at you differently even if they don't think they do. What really pissed me off was i realized i was doing it, and I certainly was not raised that way, and I had good reason not to be that way. people just don't understand that even that little bit of joking and stuff you think is BS it has a much bigger effect than you intend. I will even agree that you don't intend it to be that way, but that does not change what happens.

    I will try to explain it to you. you are not racist, but you hang out with a group, and in that group is bob. Bob is a racist, and you know it. Everyone knows bob is a racist. he spouts off and says dumb things. Over there is a guy named darnell, and he is black. he knows bob is a racist too. because of that he is standoffish with your entire group because he does not know which ones of you share bob's opinions and which ones of you brush him off. because of that you get the idea that darnell is a bit of a dick because he never wants to be around. All of a sudden you have a negative opinion of him that is not directly based on your prejudice, but has it;s roots in prejudice.

    How about another example. you are at work and someone gets outed for being gay. next thing you know that person is getting picked on, talked about behind their back (which they can always see), looked over for promotion, and even possibly harassed in hopes that they leave. You are not prejudiced, but you watch it knowing if you say anything you will join them in abuse. your job and your family are in danger if you speak up. that gay guy probably gets why you don't stand up because they probably don't want you going through the same crap they do.

    So before you start in on how the racist, homophobic, sexist, religious, and every other slant fox has is not as bad as the Klan remember it leads to the same thing. Yes, you are probably like most people, a silent participant in it who wishes not to be a part of it. but they suck you in and use you, and don't think they do not know exactly what they do because they are well aware of it. I have been there and had them use me in that way before also. Unfortunately, when i realized the problem lots of the blacks do not want a sissy little faggot on their side. It doesn't stop me from pointing out the racism when i see it, but everyone has their prejudices.

  10. #50
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,893

    Re: Mosque arsonist tells court: ‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’

    I am not a fan of news sows, and especially don't like Fox's spin at all.

    In fairness, I saw an early article about the arsonist, and it simply referenced that he had been tired of seeing the bodies of US soldiers.

    The Fox reference seems like a stretch to me.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •