Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 154

Thread: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

  1. #131
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    doesn't that also make it easily accessible to children, as may have been the circumstance in instant case
    Shouldn't matter if it is.
    The kid should know to stay out of their parents bedroom and not touch stuff that he isn't allowed to.
    That should be sufficient.

  2. #132
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Shouldn't matter if it is.
    The kid should know to stay out of their parents bedroom and not touch stuff that he isn't allowed to.
    That should be sufficient.
    you got me, because we all know kids always do what they are told
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Lets not be too hard on the poor kid. We have half the right wingers in the land pretending that the solution to our problems are more guns in the hands of more people. Maybe he read some of those posts and took up the advice.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #134
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    The kid is applying an adult concept when it is inappropriate for a kid. He should know the difference.

    It's the powerranger concept... should those teenagers start shooting and killing bad guys even though it's the right thing to do and they have the power to do so? No... but they do it anyway, even though it's inappropriate for a random group of teenagers to do such things.

    It's not appropriate for children to do this, because of obvious lack of maturity/skill/discipline.
    YOur response is someone an oversimplification. My question stands why did he think that taking a gun to school would make his friends safe or that it was ok to do. Power rangers? Really? Right.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  5. #135
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,864

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You mean like in Australia where homicide rates are at all time lows?

    Chart means nothing with no numeric information at all.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So basically the argument is that we should restrict the availability of guns so people can't as easily make a decision with their own life. Yeah, that argument is horrible. The argument of impulse suicide while interesting doesn't really change that you are making an argument meant to solely make them make a decision you want when its their life we are dealing with.
    So you are arguing that preventing a disturbed young adult from committing suicide is infringing on his right to bear arms?
    You live in another world and one I wouldn't want to even visit.

  7. #137
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    I was referring only to myself. If somebody kicks my door down they'll hurt their foot and the cats and I will be all over them while they're still on one foot. I only suggest this strategy for myself, not for other. I consider the possibility of home invasion to be at very close to zero. But that's just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Not really. If someone kicks the door down, at least we'll have a fighting chance. I'm not interested in delegating my family's safety to others. That is my job.



    Do you have youngsters in the house? If yes, aren't you worried that easy access might cause blowback? If not, sure, you can have guns anywhere. With advance warning enough, sure, you can prepare but advance warning of what? Who would give you advance warning? The only thing I can think of is civil unrest in which case we will all have time to acquire weapons.

    My post was mainly to understand weapon security. How do gun owners with families prevent their younger members from misbehavior such as taking a gun to show off with or worse. I live alone except for the cats and they can't even master can openers, let alone firearms. If they could....I'd have to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Biometric controls especially if the intruder is familier with the system used can be bipassed fairly easy. I dont use them because of that. I use electronic security in combination with mechanical security.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    They are either locked or on my hip. My heavy artillery is locked up seprate from power supplies that take some time to install. Anything I have to deal with that requires their use I will know about with advanced warning, and any idiot wont be able to assemble it and use it. My rifles and personal arms are locked in a gun safes with the munitions stored in a blast rated safes. My pistols are with me or near me with rare exception and there is a safe for them on the rare occasion I am without them.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Shouldn't matter if it is.
    The kid should know to stay out of their parents bedroom and not touch stuff that he isn't allowed to.
    That should be sufficient.
    That why they are called kids because they always know what is right and wrong and never make mistakes. Kids are the head of the family.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So you are arguing that preventing a disturbed young adult from committing suicide is infringing on his right to bear arms?
    You live in another world and one I wouldn't want to even visit.
    No. I'm saying your argument is basically people kill themselves and we have the duty to stop them from doing with their life as they see fit. You never establish how or why this duty exists, but instead its just a given and because of this unexplained duty you have given yourself you think it's best to take away their tools for doing it.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Utah 6th-grader in custody after bringing gun to school

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No. I'm saying your argument is basically people kill themselves and we have the duty to stop them from doing with their life as they see fit. You never establish how or why this duty exists, but instead its just a given and because of this unexplained duty you have given yourself you think it's best to take away their tools for doing it.
    Because it saves lives. Something that is apparently not a good thing in your mind. The lie that guns make you safe must be debunked and owners need to lock up their weapons or else. There is no excuse for allowing a minor to use your gun without your knowledge and supervision EVER. Anything a child does with their parents guns should be treated the same as if the gun owner did it all by himself.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •